Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Schedule Saturday July 4th Must Read

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Hello Folks. I just thought that I would post up this message for everyone who cares and gives a flip about Major League Baseball. July the 4th our nations birthday falls on a Saturday this year in 2009. Have any of you looked at the Schedule for that day? Well I already have and there are "11" MLB Day Baseball games that are scheduled for that day that will start *Before* the FOX Exclusive Window closes at 7 p.m. Eastern Time. That is potentially 10 Games we ALL will miss if MLB Doesn't do something about this Crazy and Absolutely Absurd Blackout Rule FOX currently imposes on us all. I say "10" games because we all will receive the "1" Fox game on our local affilliate. But there will be 10 other contests going on during that holiday we all will miss out on us MLB Extra Innings subscribers if Bud Selig and MLB don't change this silly blackout rule. Here's to hoping maybe they will FINALLY WAKE UP and Change This GOSH DARNED SILLY @$$ Rule!!!!

Edited by Msguy, 08 June 2009 - 11:39 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   VegasDen

VegasDen

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

They might wake up...after the est. $400 million a year contract ends in 2013.

Panasonic TC-P50G10
Samsung LN52A550
HR24-200
H24-200
Samsung BD-P2550 linked to Netflix streaming

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

I agree that its not right but its just one game. Im sure you will survive.

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

Yes I'm almost positive I'll survive. But Come On. It's a holiday. Many people will want to watch baseball in the afternoon before they go watch there fireworks that night. It's time to ring the alarm on this issue and for baseball to end this silly rule set by FOX.

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:03 AM

Yes I'm almost positive I'll survive. But Come On. It's a holiday. Many people will want to watch baseball in the afternoon before they go watch there fireworks that night. It's time to ring the alarm on this issue and for baseball to end this silly rule set by FOX.

I completely agree. I was mad at the NBA this season when it got to the playoffs. They had some of the games on NBATV. I was ticked that I had to sub to the sports pack to see some playoff games. As far as I can remember that has never happened before with a playoff game anyways.

It sure dont help much that MLB is having this issue come up on a holiday weekend. Hope they get it sorted out in the future. I sent the NBA an email. Not that it did much good but I let them know I was not happy.

#6 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

We're stuck with the MLB/Fox deal until 2013.. not much we can do but complain. Call MLB and Fox and tell them that you subscribe to EI and tell them what you think.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#7 OFFLINE   nitty316

nitty316

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Yeah this sucks.

#8 OFFLINE   ddockery

ddockery

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

OK, I don't like it any more than you, but MLB is a busniess. FOX offered a lot of money for the window. It won't be going away any time soon. If anything, the holiday will make FOX want the window that much more.

#9 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I'm think its obvious that both of them care more about their exclusive dealings than the what the country wants.

It seems pretty reasonable to make an exception for one day.

I also highly doubt that happens.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

Folks, MLB is a business, so is Fox Broadcasting. If you can prove to them that there is a business interest to you being able to see the blacked-out games, then they might listen to you.

Sory to rant a little here but I am continually amazed by those who think that national sports leagues belong to the people, that the games are somehow part of your birthright. They are the products of companies seeking to provide entertainment for a profit. They are nothing more.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, 99.9% of their audience is only going to care about their home team, and RSNs are allowed to carry the game in the blackout window so you're talking about quite a minority that is affected by this (and yet it comes up EVERY WEEK... holiday or not...)

It's one day a week, go outside, BBQ, and grab the XM Radio :) That's what I do.

#12 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:11 AM

Most of the games that begin shortly after 1 p.m. will still be on TV in their respective local markets. For example, the Braves are televising on Sports South. MLB TV also makes games starting prior to 1:10 p.m. available to subscribers. The games will be available on radio, via XM and Game Day Audio. If you know where to look, you can listen over the internet without a subscription. Yeah it sucks that MLB can't get its act together and let MLB EI subscribers enjoy those games but it is not as though there are no alternatives.

#13 OFFLINE   UTVLamented

UTVLamented

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

The only real power we have is to not watch the FOX games and affect the ratings and advertisers. MLB and FOX don't give a rat's behind what the fan wants. It's strictly business.
1 HR-20 700
1 HR-20 100
1 DTivo Series 1
1 DTivo Series 2

#14 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,265 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

Yes, DirecTV, MLB and Fox are all businesses.

It's ironic, though, that a DirecTV commercial on Fox broadcasting the game of the day two weeks ago included "See every game in HD!"

I don't have the MLB package but the three outfits should get their stories straight.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#15 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

Most of the games that begin shortly after 1 p.m. will still be on TV in their respective local markets. For example, the Braves are televising on Sports South. MLB TV also makes games starting prior to 1:10 p.m. available to subscribers. The games will be available on radio, via XM and Game Day Audio. If you know where to look, you can listen over the internet without a subscription. Yeah it sucks that MLB can't get its act together and let MLB EI subscribers enjoy those games but it is not as though there are no alternatives.

I'm not a fan of Fox baseball coverage, but I understand them contracting for an exclusive Saturday window. However, I do have a problem with the size of that window -- i.e., covering the early afternoon games that overlap with their televised games minimally if at all. The fact that these early games are made available via their online package but not via Extra Innings really bothers me.

But life goes on...and I have my XM subscription for the Saturday early games.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#16 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

For the Life of me I don't understand why Major League Baseball would allow such an exclusive window for FOX. MLB is a Business FOX is a business but come on The Fans who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings especially for those who subscribe for out of market game WANT to be able to still watch there favorite teams. It's just nuts to think we are subject to watch a game that FOX chooses for us or to watch the team in our home market when there is a package that allows us to "Choose" the game we want to view. Isn't this what this whole country is founded on that we are free to have a "Choice" of what we want to watch. I Choose to subscribe to DirecTv I choose to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings so I can see the maximum number of games that I can. But then FOX takes that away from us who are paying the money for the package but yet we can't see the game we want to all because FOX Chooses to have exclusive rights to broadcast for the entire afternoon. I think it is wrong and baseball should force FOX to change their deal and not allow them there exclusive broadcasts of games on Saturdays. ESPN Lost their Exclusive Right to air only 1 game a few years ago on Wednesday Nights. FOX should lose theirs.

#17 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

:beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

For the Life of me I don't understand why Major League Baseball would allow such an exclusive window for FOX. MLB is a Business FOX is a business but come on The Fans who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings especially for those who subscribe for out of market game WANT to be able to still watch there favorite teams. It's just nuts to think we are subject to watch a game that FOX chooses for us or to watch the team in our home market when there is a package that allows us to "Choose" the game we want to view. Isn't this what this whole country is founded on that we are free to have a "Choice" of what we want to watch. I Choose to subscribe to DirecTv I choose to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings so I can see the maximum number of games that I can. But then FOX takes that away from us who are paying the money for the package but yet we can't see the game we want to all because FOX Chooses to have exclusive rights to broadcast for the entire afternoon. I think it is wrong and baseball should force FOX to change their deal and not allow them there exclusive broadcasts of games on Saturdays. ESPN Lost their Exclusive Right to air only 1 game a few years ago on Wednesday Nights. FOX should lose theirs.

Like Stuart said above MLB is a Business.

Fox Network is a business.

You and I are customers of MLB EI.

MLB rightly so, places more emphasis on making Fox happy than you and I.

To do any other thing is madness.

I wish we could see them all too.

I just understand that it's not an entitlement.

I would say there would be a better chance of MLB regulating Saturday Start times(ie: no afternoon starts on the East coast for non Fox games) than giving Fox a huge refund.

The Fox blackout is here through 2013.

LATE EDIT:(msguy), didn't want my post to seem like it's critical of you personally. I just don't see anything changing before the Fox Contract runs out.

Only thing to hope for (IMO) is the Saturday start times being addressed by MLB.

Edited by davidatl14, 09 June 2009 - 03:22 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#18 OFFLINE   BruceS

BruceS

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:31 AM

Any of the games that start early enough should still be available through MLB.TV.

Last weekend I was still able to watch a Redsox game starting at 1:07 PM over MLB.TV even though it was not available the MLB Extra Innings.

Since I can connect my computer to my HDTV using DVI, the picture was almost as good as other games received from MLB Extra Innings.
Hitachi P60X901 HDTV
HR21-200, HR20-700, HR24-500, HR44-500
Tivo S3, Tivo Premiere HDXL
Sony BDP-CX960 Blu Ray Player
Sony DVP-CX995V DVD Player
Marantz SR7001 A/V Receiver

#19 OFFLINE   JoeS

JoeS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

It would never happen but I'd love to see a revolt by MLB next year where all but 2 teams per Saturday choose to play outside the black out window and leave FOX stuck with matchups like PIT/COL and KC/SEA since they would be the only game in thier 'window'.

#20 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

You're right it will never happen but even if it did, Fox is still entitled to pick whatever game they desire.

For example: Yanks/Red Sox schedule a 7:05PM start along with every other team sceduled with the exception of scintilating Dbacks/Padres scheduled for a 1:05P(local)4:05 EST.

Fox still has the right to force the Yanks/Sox or any other matchup they desire to move into their(FOX) start time.

I still say a decent compromise, would be for MLB to schedule all Saturday baseball for a 7:05PM start EST and try to convince Fox to limit their weekly selections to only two matchups.

to recap:

Saturday's

1:00-4:00P- No games permitted

4:00-7:00P- Fox selects two games for their weekly telecasts. One a marquee matchup that would interest most of the country. The secondary game of lesser interest in case of weather delays.

7:05P-later all other games are played. All games then are available for MLBEI patrons, no questions asked. Only exceptions being weather related makeup doubleheaders.

Under this scenario you might be able to entice Fox to allow the backup game so to speak to air for MLB EI customers only.

Fox's primary Game goes to all the country except the two local markets selected for the secondary game. Secondary game then can be used in case of any weather delays/postponements.

Under that specific targeted scenario Fox might consent to the secondary game of lesser interest being shown via the MLBEI package.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...