Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MLB Schedule Saturday July 4th Must Read

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:39 AM

It was bad enough when the defunct "Baseball Network" scheduled every game for an
8:05 p.m. start on Friday evenings. Every game! Let's not suggest "banning" games from 1 to 4 p on Saturdays.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

It was bad enough when the defunct "Baseball Network" scheduled every game for an
8:05 p.m. start on Friday evenings. Every game! Let's not suggest "banning" games from 1 to 4 p on Saturdays.

Let's do.

It's not that big a deal.

Only effects a few games. Patrons will be there when game is played.

Could make the argument that this would be a minimal disruption of schedule.

Could still have Saturday day baseball on the West coast if desired.

The only teams that consistently schedule day baseball on Saturday's are the Mets,Yankees and Blue Jays when playing at home.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#23 OFFLINE   vikingrob

vikingrob

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Let's do.

It's not that big a deal.

Only effects a few games. Patrons will be there when game is played.

Could make the argument that this would be a minimal disruption of schedule.

Could still have Saturday day baseball on the West coast if desired.

The only teams that consistently schedule day baseball on Saturday's are the Mets,Yankees and Blue Jays when playing at home.

Also the Cubs.

#24 OFFLINE   rkunces

rkunces

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:55 PM

As well as the A's.

#25 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

Got up this morning thinking, OK time to plan my day. The first thing I usually plan for a Saturday is when are the Twins playing, will I watch live or record. Checked out the Star Tribune and see that they are playing at 12:05 at Wrigley Field. My first thought was grrrr, xxxpdfqqjer;olsaJFA;. Then I checked the weather report, and wow, this is truly the first Saturday of summer like weather we are going to have this year. I don't need my Twins fix today, I am going to enjoy the outside, maybe coming in occasionally to check the progress of the game on Sportsline. And tonight, well, I guess I can watch some of my other favorite teams, the Phillies and the Dodgers.

Conclusion: The Fox Saturday thing really isn't that bad, in fact, sometimes it could be a blessing. :lol:

#26 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Surprise! NYM vs NYY here. I'm really tired of checking the schedule only to see NY teams on the Fox schedule here.

The exclusive rights to the time slot should be given to the networks(s) for those who don't pay the $$ for the game. If you don't pay, you're shovel-fed whatever they give you.

For those that do pay the extra $$ we should be watching the games we want as we are paying for the service.

This doesn't seem too difficult to figure out but those who make such decisions in for the MLB must not have much common sense.

#27 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

It was awesome that I couldn't watch the Twins-Cubs game today. I mean, its quite obvious that a noon game could never be allowed to be televised when a 3PM exclusive game is coming up...............seriously, what would people do when the noon game ends at 3PM? Its a serious threat to Fox and MLB.......... :nono2:

MLB and Fox can eat it. I guess i paid $200 for the right to watch all non non-exclusive games that don't reside within a blackout window. Err, what? Who the hell knows what is going on anymore. Clearly these turds need an exclusive on noon games that don't even conflict.............GFY Selig.

#28 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

Just wait till July 4th. It'll hit the fan. Like I posted earlier. Unless MLB does something about this Saturday FOX exclusive blackout window (Which MLB probably won't do anything about) There will be around 10 Saturday 4th of July Baseball games that entire afternoon MLB Extra Innings Subscribers WILL NOT be able to view. You will only receive the game that is broadcast to your home market on your local FOX station or the game that is broadcast to your region via your own Regional Sports Network (RSN). Anyone who is subscribing to the out of market package MLB Extra Innings won't be able to see other teams play if they are a fan of another team living in another city.

#29 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

All MLB EI subscribers should call their providers and demand a prorated refund for the unavailable games...

#30 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

All MLB EI subscribers should call their providers and demand a prorated refund for the unavailable games...

Brilliant! Except for the fact that full disclosure of situations like this are outlined by the provider:

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1100045

#31 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:38 PM

Brilliant! Except for the fact that full disclosure of situations like this are outlined by the provider:

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1100045

Except that if you have seen the D* tv commercial it claims that you can see ALL the games from MLB EI. There is NO disclosure about not receiving games due to blackouts. I find that just a bit misleading. Don't you?

#32 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

Except that if you have seen the D* tv commercial it claims that you can see ALL the games from MLB EI. There is NO disclosure about not receiving games due to blackouts. I find that just a bit misleading. Don't you?

Not in the least. There IS a section regarding blackouts in the FAQ so there is nothing misleading about it. It is what it is.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#33 OFFLINE   dubber deux

dubber deux

Icon

• Banned User
  • 716 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

. It is what it is.

It is less than it appears to be, until you go through the trouble to read this FAQ page. Does the tv ad tell you to refer to the FAQs for more details? I think not.

There should be a "disclaimer" statement that is visable or heard during at some point in the ad spot.

#34 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Not just misleading. The TV ad itself is an outright lie. DirecTV and MLB ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#35 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

I did some research to see just where/how games are available prior to 7:05 p.m. EDT on July 4:

Braves/Nationals 1:05 p.m: SPSO/MASN/MLB.TV/XM/Braves & Nats radio
Brewers/Cubs 1:05 p.m: WGN/WGN America/FSN/MLB.TV/Cubs & Brewers radio
Mariners/Red Sox 1:05 p.m: NESN/FSN/MLB.TV/XM/Sox & Mariners radio
B. Jays/Yankees 1:05 p.m: YES/SNET/MLB.TV/XM/B.Jays & Yankees radio
White Sox/Royals 1:10 p.m: CSN/FSKC/MLB.TV/XM/Sox & Royals radio
Cardinals/Reds 1:10 p.m: FSN/FSN/MLB.TV/XM/ Cards & Reds radio
Astros/Giants 4:05 p.m: XM/Astros & Giants radio
Mets/Phillies 4:05 p.m: Fox (regional) XM/Mets & Phils radio
Tigers/Twins 4:10 p.m: Fox (regional) XM/Tigers & Twins radio
Dodgers/Padres 4:10 p.m: Fox (regional) XM/Dodgers & Pads radio
Pirates/Marlins 6:10 p.m: FSN/MLB.TV/XM/Pirates & Marlins radio

Of the above, 6 games starting no later than 1:10 p.m., are available on TV either regionally, or nationally via MLB.TV. The Cubs game is available to anyone who receives WGN. Three games starting after 4 p.m. EDT are available regionally via Fox Network. The Pirates & Marlins early evening start will be available regionally and nationally via MLB.TV.
Only one game, the Astros & Giants is exclusive to radio that afternoon. Most of the fans who want to see these games, will have no trouble seeing them. Sorry, Astros and Giants fans! I just can't imagine MLB.EI subscribers getting upset over something of which they are certainly aware. Are the ads misleading? Yes. Does this suck for MLB.EI subscribers? Yes. Is this going to mean MLB.EI subscribers will cancel en masse? Nope.

Edited by Pete K., 15 June 2009 - 02:43 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

I did some research to see just where/how games are available prior to 7:05 p.m. EDT on July 4:

Braves/Nationals 1:05 p.m: SPSO/MASN/MLB.TV/XM/Braves & Nats radio
Brewers/Cubs 1:05 p.m: WGN/WGN America/FSN/MLB.TV/Cubs & Brewers radio
Mariners/Red Sox 1:05 p.m: NESN/FSN/MLB.TV/XM/Sox & Mariners radio
B. Jays/Yankees 1:05 p.m: YES/SNET/MLB.TV/XM/B.Jays & Yankees radio
White Sox/Royals 1:10 p.m: CSN/FSKC/MLB.TV/XM/Sox & Royals radio
Cardinals/Reds 1:10 p.m: FSN/FSN/MLB.TV/XM/ Cards & Reds radio
Pirates/Marlins 6:10 p.m: FSN/MLB.TV/XM/Pirates & Marlins radio

Of the above, 6 games starting no later than 1:10 p.m., are available on TV either regionally, or nationally via MLB.TV. The Cubs game is available to anyone who receives WGN. Three games starting after 4 p.m. EDT are available regionally via Fox Network. The Pirates & Marlins early evening start will be available regionally and nationally via MLB.TV.
Only one game, the Astros & Giants is exclusive to radio that afternoon. Most of the fans who want to see these games, will have no trouble seeing them. Sorry, Astros and Giants fans! I just can't imagine MLB.EI subscribers getting upset over something of which they are certainly aware. Are the ads misleading? Yes. Does this suck for MLB.EI subscribers? Yes. Is this going to mean MLB.EI subscribers will cancel en masse? Nope.

the 6pm game will NOT be available on MLB.TV in the USA ...

#37 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:56 PM

For the Life of me I don't understand why Major League Baseball would allow such an exclusive window for FOX. MLB is a Business FOX is a business but come on The Fans who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings especially for those who subscribe for out of market game WANT to be able to still watch there favorite teams. It's just nuts to think we are subject to watch a game that FOX chooses for us or to watch the team in our home market when there is a package that allows us to "Choose" the game we want to view. Isn't this what this whole country is founded on that we are free to have a "Choice" of what we want to watch. I Choose to subscribe to DirecTv I choose to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings so I can see the maximum number of games that I can. But then FOX takes that away from us who are paying the money for the package but yet we can't see the game we want to all because FOX Chooses to have exclusive rights to broadcast for the entire afternoon. I think it is wrong and baseball should force FOX to change their deal and not allow them there exclusive broadcasts of games on Saturdays. ESPN Lost their Exclusive Right to air only 1 game a few years ago on Wednesday Nights. FOX should lose theirs.

Why should MLB force Fox to change when MLB agreed to the provision because of the money Fox is paying MLB? If MLB wants to change the provision, they would have to accept less money from Fox. And even if that happened, guess what, they would want that money from some other source, like EI subscribers.

#38 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

It would never happen but I'd love to see a revolt by MLB next year where all but 2 teams per Saturday choose to play outside the black out window and leave FOX stuck with matchups like PIT/COL and KC/SEA since they would be the only game in thier 'window'.

Huh? Why would MLB do that? Fox is, for all intents and purposes, MLB's partner.

Besides, Fox picks the matchups anyway.

#39 OFFLINE   schlar01

schlar01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

Luckily, I think Detroit-Minn will be the game of the week in my area given those 3pm matchups. Otherwise I'll be screwed yet again, same as this past Saturday.

#40 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I understand the frustration of MLB EI subscribers. If I was paying that kind of money I would be upset. That said, I think the vast, vast majority of fans won't even notice. The game they want to see, they'll be able to see.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...