Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EpixHD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:26 PM

stumbled across this on Tomshardware I hope this can somehow transition to satellite also

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

It is Viacom/Paramount new premium service and will be the first to
air Iron Man, Cloverfield and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

#3 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

Is it pronounced like Epics even though it is spelled Epix?

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

I think that article has a big mistake when comparing alternate streaming models, as ESPN's streaming service is ESPN 360, not 30. Also, the National Association of Cable companies was lobbying congress about ESPN 360 because of the bandwidth it's costing them....

#5 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

Directv will not add Epix because of Recession.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

Directv will not add Epix because of Recession.

I doubt it has anything to do with that really. Premium services are slowly dying. They cannot compete with the technology mediums and services like redbox/netflix/blockbuster. Most major companies are holding off on this. This will mean that the asking price will drop consistantly until it gets to a point where they can get it and make a large profit. The other premium services were like ESPN and must haves. They can charge must have pricing.

Any company will sell something they can guarantee to make a profit on. DBS services have to dedicate limited transponder space. Which makes the decision of what to add even more crucial. More national channels that all packages have will do more right now then adding a new service that people may or may not subscribe to.

Now if Epix were to get to the point where it was asking a low enough price that was too good to pass up then other companies would sign up.

That is atleat my 2 cents with tax.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

As a side note it took 6 years for Starz! to get 90% penetration on cable and dbs companies and it had a leg in with TCI cable.

#8 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

As a side note it took 6 years for Starz! to get 90% penetration on cable and dbs companies and it had a leg in with TCI cable.

That makes me feel better about the future of Epix, thanks.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

spam firewall