Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wish I have a Silo in our back yard...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 704 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:43 AM

I'm getting all the local channels digitally without a problem here. I just wish I have a silo in our back yard so I can put an antenna on top and get ones from really far away. Like a hobby stuff! I'm already getting signals from approximately 80+ miles away and the signals REALLY strong.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:48 AM

Why a silo. Just build an antennal pole. I think solid signal sells parts :D

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,277 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:59 AM

google "tv dxing"

Also, check out www.dxing.com/tvfmdx.htm

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

I'm getting all the local channels digitally without a problem here. I just wish I have a silo in our back yard so I can put an antenna on top and get ones from really far away. Like a hobby stuff! I'm already getting signals from approximately 80+ miles away and the signals REALLY strong.

I would be surprised if it made much difference. Try entering two different heights on www.tvfool.com to see what happens at your location.

I have an antenna at 20' and another at 125'. They receive about the same number of stations.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

There is usually a threshold for channels at the 1 edge or 2 edge line where you move from one signal level to another, perhaps where you pass through are fraction line and suddenly your signal jumps 3dB, or stops moving at all.

You can see it with TVFool by moving up 10 ft at a time, the signal will gradually grow stronger, by .5 or even less dB, then suddenly it jumps 3-6 dB, or it stops growing by the regular amount and settles in with maybe a .1 or .2 dB gain for each 10 ft - you have reached the point of diminishing returns.

The 3db jump is more likely on UHF since it is more line of sight sensitive, whereas VHF is more able to bend over the horizon and afford you a gradual signal increase up to a point.

Edited by Jim5506, 11 June 2009 - 03:52 PM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...