Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Distant Networks Buzz on Dish forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

I just visited the Dish Network Forum and there seems to be Major Buzz going on over there about Distant Network Services in HD that will be available to them this coming Saturday and they are saying the channels will be in HD! Are DirecTv customers going to be able to start getting Distant Networks? What caught my attention is one of the Feeds that you could subscribe to is Chicago Feeds. That Caught my eye HEAVILY because I would LOVE to have Chicago Local Channels. I Would almost leave DirecTv for the Chicago Locals. Anyone know anything about this with some in depth insight?

Edited by Msguy, 11 June 2009 - 08:14 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=159611
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#3 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

will they be able to show Chicago land only sports?

as wgn does have a few chicago only games and wciu has them as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:31 PM

I don't know. But hell if I could receive Chicago Locals in HD. I'd move to that service provider immediately. I am originally from Chicago and I wish I could get the Chicago Locals on DirecTv. If Dish gets Chicago Locals i'd very seriously consider switching. I order NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings just so I can view Chicago ball games. But if i could get every Bears game from Chicago TV i would not need Sunday Ticket anymore and for baseball i'd probably keep DirecTv for the Cubs.

#5 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

The simple facts are Dish doesn't provide distant networks at all. It can't be cause it was found to be abusing the option by offering it to people who didn't qualify and lost it's ability to provide them. The distants are now provided by a second company that leases some tp space from dish and they seem to be well on their way to doing the same thing.

If you have a local channel in your market you can not receive a distant network unless you are incapable of receiving an OTA signal. If you can receive a signal you need to get a waiver to get a distant network but it's not likely.

#6 OFFLINE   PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts
  • LocationFrackville PA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Dish does offer what they call super stations they are:
KWGN-Denver
KTLA-L. A.
WPIX-N.Y.
WWOR-N.Y.
WSBK-Boston

#7 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

I suspect it's mostly heat and little light. More than likely, this is an assumption that more people will qualify for distant locals because they could get the analog signal but not the digital.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

Protected By... spam firewall...And...