Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

new channel ota pickup via hr20

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FUCCO

FUCCO

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have the hr20 with a ota antenna plugged in. Recently wgrz (nbc) launched a third channel (2-3) which carries RTN network. My hr20 does not download this channel yet. What is the time frame i should expect before directv catches up and downloads this into my reciever. I tried redownloading the local ota channels but no luck. I know the channel is alive and well because i pick it up on 2 different tv's with atsc tuners. thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,040 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:32 PM

I have the hr20 with a ota antenna plugged in. Recently wgrz (nbc) launched a third channel (2-3) which carries RTN network. My hr20 does not download this channel yet. What is the time frame i should expect before directv catches up and downloads this into my reciever. I tried redownloading the local ota channels but no luck. I know the channel is alive and well because i pick it up on 2 different tv's with atsc tuners. thanks

Give it a couple of weeks. It usually takes that long before the station starts to show up in guides, etc..

BTW, It never hurts to contact the station and mention to them that their station is not popping up in online TV listings, etc.

Do not mention DirecTV as you will probably get the typical canned response of how the channel is not available on DirecTV, etc...

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,916 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

You can check http://www.zap2it.com and see if it shows up there, since that is derived from the same database that Directv uses. There is a link on that site to submit corrections, which may help.

#4 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

You can check http://www.zap2it.com and see if it shows up there, since that is derived from the same database that Directv uses. There is a link on that site to submit corrections, which may help.

That is not accurate at all. We have locals in my area that have been in HD and one substation through Direct for a few months and yet zap2it still does not have them listed in the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

How about a link to what Tribune has? Do they have anything accessible by the public?

#6 OFFLINE   mabellboi

mabellboi

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

Unless you have a desire to record what is on those channels with the dvr, I would suggest bypassing the dvr all together with the digital signals, if your tv will support digital..

I've noticed for quite some time that the dvr seems to weaken the digital signals a bit... I get better reception of the digital channels with the rabbit ears plugged directly into my TV than I do using the DVR.

With the ears plugged into the dvr, I also notice that I do a TON more repositioning of the ears than I do when it's just the TV and the ears...

I live in North Buffalo, btw... Not sure where you are, but with digital, it's all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....

#7 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

HR20's ATSC tuner apparantly is of an early generation and not so good at handling weaker signals or multipath. I hear the AM21 is better. I have no 1st hand experience with the AM21, though. My DTT900 set top box tuner is later generation and is very good. My Samsung DLP TV is also rather good. Hr20 not nearly as good. I live in an attenuated signal area.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Unless you have a desire to record what is on those channels with the dvr, I would suggest bypassing the dvr all together with the digital signals, if your tv will support digital..

I've noticed for quite some time that the dvr seems to weaken the digital signals a bit... I get better reception of the digital channels with the rabbit ears plugged directly into my TV than I do using the DVR.

With the ears plugged into the dvr, I also notice that I do a TON more repositioning of the ears than I do when it's just the TV and the ears...

I live in North Buffalo, btw... Not sure where you are, but with digital, it's all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....

Um, are you saying you have breakup and pixilization? A weak signal and a strong signal look identical as long as the signal is just strong enough to pick up the signal and display the picture and sound without breakup... I have had no issues at all with my HR20's...

#9 OFFLINE   David Carmichael

David Carmichael

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

HR20-100 Digital Transition KWCH 12-1 & KMTW 36-1

This seems to be the best thread / forum to post this message..

Since the change over last night to their new stations I can no longer tune in KWCH 12-1 or KMTW 36-1 can not be tuned in using the OFF AIR tuner of my HR20-100.

It has the latest software downloaded just this week : 0x312 Wed 6/10, 2:23am

I CAN tune into KWCH 12-2 their local 24 hour weather station!

and YES I have rescanned and even ' BIG RED BUTTON 'ed the receiver.

--David

spam firewall