Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA waivers, estimate on miles from transmitter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

I was denied a DNS waiver from my 2 local network affiliates. No worries, I got a decent antenna and preamp, and now get decent signal (around 85% during the day, higher after dark)

But with that said, I never appealed the automatic denial since I needed OTA to dvr my wife's shows ASAP after I switched to D*. With that said, I am 30 miles from the CBS transmitter and I need a large antenna w/ preamp per antennaweb.org

What's the chance I can win an appeal. I would love to have NY and LA cbs during football season.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

Your chances are slim to none. These appeals are very rarely granted.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   robq391

robq391

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

I live a little further from WBOC & WMDT transmitters than you do.

I have a Channel Master 4221 w/ a 7777 pre & distribution amp. All mounted inside my 2nd story attic. I receive all SBY locals 95-100%.

You can forget about WBOC or WMDT giving you waivers for CBS,FOX,ABC or CW. I've tried for years. You won't have any problems w/ NBC.

Keep submitting the waivers, we may slip through the cracks!!!

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:26 AM

What's the chance I can win an appeal. I would love to have NY and LA cbs during football season.

Even if you re-applied and were granted waivers, the new requirements seem to be you do not get east and west coast feeds anymore, which makes sense. The intent was to be able to provide people with the ability to get the stations, not time shift by giving them both coasts...so they seem to have finally cracked down on this. People that have both are grandfathered, and should eventually lose the coast they arent supposed to have when they finally get this fiasco cleaned up.

#5 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

I live a little further from WBOC & WMDT transmitters than you do.

I have a Channel Master 4221 w/ a 7777 pre & distribution amp. All mounted inside my 2nd story attic. I receive all SBY locals 95-100%.

You can forget about WBOC or WMDT giving you waivers for CBS,FOX,ABC or CW. I've tried for years. You won't have any problems w/ NBC.

Keep submitting the waivers, we may slip through the cracks!!!

I applied for waivers in April, got Fox. Don't know why, since I can get 21-2 just fine (no HD OTA though).

The intent was to be able to provide people with the ability to get the stations, not time shift by giving them both coasts...so they seem to have finally cracked down on this. People that have both are grandfathered, and should eventually lose the coast they arent supposed to have when they finally get this fiasco cleaned up.

Well, I get SD NY and LA on the waivered stations, and just NY HD. I just got the waivers this April.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

I applied for waivers in April, got Fox. Don't know why, since I can get 21-2 just fine (no HD OTA though).

Well, I get SD NY and LA on the waivered stations, and just NY HD. I just got the waivers this April.

Keep reapplying for the SD waivers online from the site yourself and it will happen. I only live 30 miles away to and am in a grade A area but have all approved except for CBS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...