Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording a later show of a season pass

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have a season pass set up to record a show at 9 P.M. The same episode of that show is replayed at 1 A.M. Is there a way to set the DVR to always record the 1 A.M. episode? Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Delete the season pass. Then go to the one in the guide at 1am and hit record twice on it. It will grab that one.

#3 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

Delete the season pass. Then go to the one in the guide at 1am and hit record twice on it. It will grab that one.

That didn't seem to work, unless it takes a while to take effect. When I hit the record button twice it grabbed the early showing on every instance of the show.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

That didn't seem to work, unless it takes a while to take effect. When I hit the record button twice it grabbed the early showing on every instance of the show.

Is this on a OTA station regular station or DNS feed station?

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

Worse case, you could go in to the to do list and delete out the earlier ones for the next two weeks and it will grab the later one.

#6 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Is this on a OTA station regular station or DNS feed station?

Regular station (TruTV)

#7 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

Worse case, you could go in to the to do list and delete out the earlier ones for the next two weeks and it will grab the later one.

Good point... Forgot about doing that.

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:47 PM

Good point... Forgot about doing that.

Sucks that you may have to do that but at least its an option. You would only have to look once every 2 weeks. I will toy around with it myself if you let me know the show and see if I can get it to work another way.

#9 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:09 AM

Sucks that you may have to do that but at least its an option. You would only have to look once every 2 weeks. I will toy around with it myself if you let me know the show and see if I can get it to work another way.

The show is "Forensic Files" on TruTV Channel 246 on D*

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

Well I only see one first run scheduled and 49 episodes that have alrady aired. Are you interested in all episodes or only the new ones? Another choice is instead of setting a season pass to go in and click on episodes and then hit record on the specific episodes you want.

I understand this is a backwards way of doing it but thats what you run into when you record previously aired episodes. I just went through it with Cold Case on TNT.

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

Part of where you are running into problems is that it has all different times for the 49 already aired episodes. If you only want new then its real simple just change your recording to say first run only. If you are interested in them all then you will have to come up with some other plan or just record them all.

#12 OFFLINE   kenkahn

kenkahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

The only way I have found to make sure a season pass records at a specific time and not pick up an earlier time slot is to set a manual pass. As long as the time of the second showing doesn't change from week to week this works fine.

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

The only way I have found to make sure a season pass records at a specific time and not pick up an earlier time slot is to set a manual pass. As long as the time of the second showing doesn't change from week to week this works fine.

I do that too with shows that have more than one showing in a day.

#14 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

This is the answer to the OP (unfortunately). The Season Pass will always pick up the first instance of the episode, unless there are conflicts (on the HR / R22 series) then it will look for the next showing. I don't know if the R15/16 has that same conflict resolution feature.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

Consider setting a manual timer for the channel and time slot that you want.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:33 AM

When shows have multiple showings I just always make sure they are at the bottom of my prioritizer. That way as long as other shows that would be in that same time slot are higher in the prioritizer, it will have to record the later show.

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

This is the answer to the OP (unfortunately). The Season Pass will always pick up the first instance of the episode, unless there are conflicts (on the HR / R22 series) then it will look for the next showing. I don't know if the R15/16 has that same conflict resolution feature.

Thats not true. I have been recording the later episode of Deadliest Catch each week for some reason. I dont have other things recording at that time but it always grabs the later episode.

#18 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

If the shows are set to record the earlier episode and I delete them and press record for the later episode (the 3 circle record icon shows up). If I do that for 2 or 3 weeks in a row, will the DVR get the clue that I want the later episodes recorded and EVENTUALLY start recording the later ones?

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

If the shows are set to record the earlier episode and I delete them and press record for the later episode (the 3 circle record icon shows up). If I do that for 2 or 3 weeks in a row, will the DVR get the clue that I want the later episodes recorded and EVENTUALLY start recording the later ones?

Always worth a shot.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

I'm moving this to the HD DVR forum, which I should have done a couple days ago... my apologies.

I do not think there's any sort of predictive logic in the DVRs. in other words it will not learn to record the later show just because you force it to record the later one a few weeks in a row.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...