Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is TV DXing now a thing of the past?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:37 AM

Now that all the high power stations have gone digital, is TV DXing history? I remember DXing and catching something like 28 states or so, as far as 1700+ miles away. The picture and sound quality of most of the DX stations was bad, really bad. A normal person would say there is no signal there. We DXers would do the impossible. Now with all digital, the TV set will only lock on the picture if the signal level is strong. Maybe I'm missing something that can be done to allow a TV to lock on a weak picture, I don't know.:(
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:57 AM

TV DX-ing will be a bit different now. I've received stations from Denver, Minneapolis, Miami, Houston, etc. here from PA in the glory days of analog TV DX-ing.

To do so now, I guess we'll have to rescan often and have a strong signal to maintain the scan and viewable afterwards to watch it. I guess the PSIP info will help us though.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,558 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

Maybe I'm missing something that can be done to allow a TV to lock on a weak picture, I don't know.

Dunno either. Seems like you'd have to alter the low threshold for a signal lock inside the tuner somehow, but I don't know if that would be hardware or software, or just completely impossible.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

TV DX-ing will be a bit different now.

Right. Now if you want to watch a distant channel, you turn on your laptop, enter the web address of the distant channel into your internet browser, and click the "watch live" button.

#5 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Now that all the high power stations have gone digital, is TV DXing history? I remember DXing and catching something like 28 states or so, as far as 1700+ miles away. The picture and sound quality of most of the DX stations was bad, really bad. A normal person would say there is no signal there. We DXers would do the impossible. Now with all digital, the TV set will only lock on the picture if the signal level is strong. Maybe I'm missing something that can be done to allow a TV to lock on a weak picture, I don't know.:(

The best thing to do is get a really sensitive tuner, like the Zenith converter box, and get a good antenna. DXers have already been DXing DTV for years now. Tropo works well, and E-skip works sometimes. Usually, you only get PSIP data with E-skip.

A lot of people are reporting DTV DX, now that they're rescanning. A lot of channels are open now that weren't before. Not to mention Canada, Mexico, Cuba, etc., are still on low-band analog. Those will be much easier to get now.

I saw one thread where the poster's local low-band analogs went off, and then he saw low-band analogs from 1000+ miles away via E-skip! One of those signed off, and he got another city! :D

Edited by ChrisPC, 13 June 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

TV dxing is not done, but it won't be near as easy to recieve a station say from 1000+ miles away as it was in the days of analog, that is because of how digital works(its like a data stream) so either you have the signal or you don't and when you don't have it real good you will get pixelation/audio dropouts. Its just more of a challenge now to DX, thats all.

Check out this website if you want to know about radio/tv dxing(analog and digital), this is not my site just trying to show you something.

http://www.dxfm.com

#7 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

There were a few doing pretty good with DX here in Chicago last night. People were getting stations from Florida, Colorado, Montana and Michigan.

#8 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

I was getting some great e-skip from Quebec this evening on channel 2 in Webster, WI. TV DX from Canada and Mexico lives!

#9 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Somebody reported getting WBTV-DT Charlotte in KC...but WBTV-DT is UHF 23.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

spam firewall