Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

antenna help

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   priester68

priester68

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

What is a good antenna to get for my HR20? There are several local channels I can get but for some reason my old antenna won't pick them up or my DVR isn't working right.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

How far away are you from the towers?

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

Check out the resources at http://www.tvfool.com and the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   dhkinil

dhkinil

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

actually the best resource is antenna web, http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx they are quite comprehensive

#5 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I'm using the Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. I'm 12 miles from the antenna farm in Phoenix. I believe and indoor antenna can be used if you are 20 miles or less from the broadcast tower.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

According to tvfool after entering your zip code it shows most major affiliates are red and 50-65 miles away. At that distance in my opinion you will need a large directional antenna roof mounted and a pre amp to get the signals you want. With a good antenna though I think you would be please with the results.

#7 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

What were you suing before? Analog?

First thing I'd do is make sure your coax is in good condition. This can have a great impact on your reception. Check to see if your connections have water damage. Also if you have an older amplifier in the line it can cause degradation of the digital signal. If your old antenna did a decent job in the past, it might work now too.

#8 OFFLINE   FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

actually the best resource is antenna web, http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx they are quite comprehensive

They used to be good but not so much anymore. They have gotten conservative for some reason with the channels they say you can get & don't even list the others. According to them I can only get Ch 20 from Ft. Myers. In reality I also get 11, 26, 30 & 36.

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

What is a good antenna to get for my HR20? There are several local channels I can get but for some reason my old antenna won't pick them up or my DVR isn't working right.

I had the same problem as you. I called D* and they told me my antenna is "obsolete" and to get a converter box. I tried to explain that the OTA tuner in the HR20 IS a converter box. This didn't fly, so I relented and asked what to connect to the converter box they recommended I get, and they said a "digital" antenna. If this is their response to the digital transition, I think it's time to just throw in the towel. The biggest antenna in the world isn't going to help if they can't get their OTA frequency database right and they refuse to listen to their customers who are experiencing problems.

#10 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

It's hard to tell with just a zip code, but from what I see on Tvfool.com and antennaweb.org, you have a difficult situation for reception. A large antenna with a preamplifier on a tall mast with a rotor are needed if you want the networks.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#11 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

Most new digital stations are on the UHF scale, but a handful are still on VHF. You need an antenna that handles BOTH if you want to receive everything.........

#12 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Most new digital stations are on the UHF scale, but a handful are still on VHF. You need an antenna that handles BOTH if you want to receive everything.........

Of course that's not true everywhere. http://www.tvfool.com provides all the information you need.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

I had the same problem as you. I called D* and they told me my antenna is "obsolete" and to get a converter box. I tried to explain that the OTA tuner in the HR20 IS a converter box. This didn't fly, so I relented and asked what to connect to the converter box they recommended I get, and they said a "digital" antenna. If this is their response to the digital transition, I think it's time to just throw in the towel. The biggest antenna in the world isn't going to help if they can't get their OTA frequency database right and they refuse to listen to their customers who are experiencing problems.

That's why these (and other) forums are so valuable and popular. Very few CSRs have the knowledge base to deal with the question that was asked. Come here first and you won't need a CSR, in most cases. TVfool is your friend. Go there and you will find exactly what you need to know. Picking an antenna based on what you find there is fairly easy, and if you want expert help, call solidsignal.com after visiting their website.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

That's why these (and other) forums are so valuable and popular. Very few CSRs have the knowledge base to deal with the question that was asked. Come here first and you won't need a CSR, in most cases.

Thanks. TVFool is wonderful. My issue was finally resolved by time, several reboots and Initial Setups. When I called, I didn't even intend to ask the CSR anything. I just wanted to make them aware of a possible error in the frequency in their database, thinking it might get fixed quicker if I told them on the phone, rather than post here. Big mistake. They kept talking to me like I was a moron, relentlessly trying to convince me I needed a new antenna and a converter box and that my D* receiver won't get OTA anymore. After talking to a brick wall for half an hour, I gave up. I knew my antenna was fine since all along it worked fine with my TV's OTA tuner. Oh well, live and learn.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...