Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If UHF is now VHF but same station as DirectTV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lefky

Lefky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Crazy Question: Two of Washington's DC stations, channel 9 and 7, formally on UHF has switched their digital to VHF. But since Direct TV also broadcasts the stations on 9 and 7, how can I pick up these stations using an OTA antenna hooked up to an HR20/100. We have had lots of storms and OTA is my backup for rain fade.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Just use the antenna setup and enter your zip code to see what they have in the database for your zip. If its up to date then that should get it.

#3 OFFLINE   patsrule316

patsrule316

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Either Directv hasn't updated yet, or there is some other problem, because I tried to use the antenna setup a couple times this morning, and I still can't get 7-1 or 9-1.

#4 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

Either Directv hasn't updated yet, or there is some other problem, because I tried to use the antenna setup a couple times this morning, and I still can't get 7-1 or 9-1.

That just means that Tribune has not updated the guide yet. If its not fixed by Monday I have a number you can call Tribune and have them fix it. Took them less then 24 hours to fix mine for me.

#5 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Just use the antenna setup and enter your zip code to see what they have in the database for your zip. If its up to date then that should get it.

I think his issue is that the new digital OTA channel is just a single number without the "-" and it is also the same channel through DirecTV

#6 OFFLINE   Lefky

Lefky

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I think his issue is that the new digital OTA channel is just a single number without the "-" and it is also the same channel through DirecTV

Doing a rescan has not helped me or my neighbors.

#7 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

This issue may be the antenna you are using. Many people were sold "HDTV" antennas that are UHF only.
indoor
UHF only
Posted Image

UHF/VHF
Posted Image

I extended the dipoles as pictured and the VHF-Hi stations in Phoenix came in. If they are VHF-lo, the instructions say to fully extend them horizontally. The VHF-lo stations in Phoenix stayed on their UHF slots.

Edited by machavez00, 13 June 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

The OTA Channel will still have the dash. The guide should look exactly the same before the transition as after.

#9 OFFLINE   Lefky

Lefky

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

After creating a crazy antenna configuration, I finally picked up the two DC stations. Once picked up, my receiver re-enabled the -1 channels. The interesting thing is almost every I talked too who uses an OTA antenna in the DC area, have lost either one or both of these stations. It looks like most indoor and some outdoor UHF/VHF antennas cannot pick up these new digital VHF stations. You should read the comments on these station's web sites, People are pissed

Thanks everyone

#10 OFFLINE   o7RAVENS

o7RAVENS

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBaltimore Md.

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

My Direct TV Hr20 700 DVR box also cannot pick up ch. 7 or 9 from Washington, all other ch, come in clear as a bell, both Wash. and Balt.

#11 OFFLINE   smokes20

smokes20

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

On WTOP Friday and yesterday, the FCC guy was on talking about this. He even had issues. :lol: Here is the link for ya.

http://www.wtopnews....792&sid=1695872
Smokin' hot -- #14

spam firewall