Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Off-the-air channel implementation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cuibap

cuibap

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Why did they implement OTA channels in a way that DTV has to update on their end before we can see it? Why can't they just let the tuner scan available channels in the area and let the user choose which one to display/hide like all the TVs on the market? Of course they want to display the guide too but if the guide is not available for a specific channel the so be it. I'd rather watch the channel without the guide than nothing to watch at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:26 AM

I guess, because, you know... It would make too much sense?

Honestly, I dunno why DirecTV took this route. I live in a weak-signal area and sometimes distant stations come in - I'd like to be able to directly tune those but I can't with the D* receiver. So I'm gonna have to break down and get one of those digital converter boxes instead.

#3 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Can DirecTv update the firmware on the AM21? I have wondered this myself...

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:12 AM

Yes the firmware on the AM21 can be updated but there has been no reason to do so.

I would not hold my breath for channel scanning. There have been other threads about this, going back years, and the decision was made a long time ago. DIRECTV prefers to maintain the database themselves. We mere mortals can guess why, but in the end it is very unlikely to change.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

DirecTV simply decided that since they are expected to provide the guide data, it would make much more sense to do it the way they've done it. And, honestly, about 2 weeks after the transition, most folks will never think about it again, because local channels don't change that often.

#6 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I need at least 1, really 2, more zip codes on my AM21 to get all available channels. Hope they provide a firmware update for the AM21, so I can stop switching over to the tv's tuners for the other stations...

#7 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:16 AM

I need at least 1, really 2, more zip codes on my AM21 to get all available channels. Hope they provide a firmware update for the AM21, so I can stop switching over to the tv's tuners for the other stations...

I get ION and all their "Theme" channels: Qubo, life, etc on my TV but only 1 of the AM21....

With the internet or phone connection it could scan and then call in and get guide info for the OTA channels you receive. Digital channels broadcast channel info, call letters and stuff.

I think when my contact is up I am going to get a DTV PAL DVR and go strictly OTA...

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

If OTA channels are missing then see what Zap2It says. If they are not listing the channel then Tribune has no guide data for it (thus DirecTV doesn't list it). So contact your local offending station and make sure they submit guide data and channel info to Tribune (including their sub-channels) to get it corrected. There have been several posts here where someone has contacted their local station and they never realized they needed to let Tribune know they had a new sub-channel. 2 days later it shows up on DirecTV. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...