Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Over-the-Air Digital Reception Issues and Discussion

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

You're kinda between a rock and a hard place for KLST being 90 degrees out from everything else.

Chances are that you don't need much of antenna if you're in a "topographically challenged" (flat) location as I envision most of Iowa. You might try a lesser antenna that you have laying around (ie rabbit ears, UHF loop/bowtie or a short piece of coax).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   KRK

KRK

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

After further review of what DirecTV is showing I have, compared to both TVFool and also what my PC is picking up. DirecTV has channels listed incorrectly, so I am guessing they are being reported incorrectly to them. They are listing my channels as follows:

17-2 for NBC - Should be 3-1
13-2 for Fox - Should be 6-1

CBS is showing correct, but not picking up enough of a signal.

#83 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Depending on the gain parameters of your antenna, you may be able to point somewhere around 50 degrees and "split the difference".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#84 OFFLINE   KRK

KRK

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:27 AM

Ok. so I finally got my issues resolved, and as an FYI for anyone else who may move to a different location and have to resort to OTA.

If the channels shown in your antenna setup do not match what you should be getting for your zip code, a simple "re-hit" from directv will not fix it. Re-running the Initial Setup will not fix it either. You have to do a complete reset in the Antenna Setup page, where it deletes and resets everything, asks you to put in a " - " to confirm, etc...

I am finally seeing the correct channels, however, my signal is very week and I can only get NBC. This still seems odd as I have 100% signal strength for my tuner in my PC, but oh well. Maybe a new antenna setup will fix it.

thanks to those that helped me out.

#85 OFFLINE   David HDDX

David HDDX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hello:
I hope there are some who can help. You're answers will help decide if the DMA in the title should be attempted from the reception area in the title. The attachment will give you an idea of Rx location and AGL.

Has anyone in the area been able to get the NY DMA since the Switch?

TIA for your time and input.

David HDDX

Attached Thumbnails

• Mike's Radar-Digital2.PNG

Diligentia Vis Celeritas
HR20-700 thru
HDMI NATIVE=OFF
To Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR in passthru mode
To SONY 34XBR970 CRT

#86 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

Anyone know if KSHB/KMCI in Kansas City are at full power yet. I think I heard a while back that they had problems with the transmission lines to the tower. They were also moving the antennas on the tower. What is the scoop?
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#87 OFFLINE   David HDDX

David HDDX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Jay Nix , Director of Engineering
By Phone (weekday business hours): 816-932-4176
By Fax: 816-932-0976
By E-mail: nix@nbcactionnews.com

Or mail your concern to the following address:
Jay Nix , Director of Engineering
KMCI-TV
4720 Oak Street
Kansas City, MO 64112-2236

Diligentia Vis Celeritas
HR20-700 thru
HDMI NATIVE=OFF
To SONY 34XBR970 CRT

#88 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hello:
I hope there are some who can help. You're answers will help decide if the DMA in the title should be attempted from the reception area in the title. The attachment will give you an idea of Rx location and AGL.

Has anyone in the area been able to get the NY DMA since the Switch?

TIA for your time and input.

David HDDX

It is receivable (according to the TVFool report), but the main problem will be the strength of the local transmissions.

Several considerations, do you want all 4 channels or are you shooting for one or two? CBS and FOX are the easiest on VHF-high, ABC and PBS are UHF.

To get FOX and CBS, I'd use a VHF 7-13 antenna like the Winegard YA 1713 or the Antennas Direct Y10-7-13 with a Winegard HDP-269 pre-amp (good overload resistance).

To get the weaker UHF's on RF channels 34 and 42 probably a 91-XG which may need the preamp also (join them with a UVSJ then the HDP-269 pre-amp).

More powerful preamps will almost certainly overload.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#89 OFFLINE   David HDDX

David HDDX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

It is receivable (according to the TVFool report), but the main problem will be the strength of the local transmissions.

Several considerations, do you want all 4 channels or are you shooting for one or two? CBS and FOX are the easiest on VHF-high, ABC and PBS are UHF.

To get FOX and CBS, I'd use a VHF 7-13 antenna like the Winegard YA 1713 or the Antennas Direct Y10-7-13 with a Winegard HDP-269 pre-amp (good overload resistance).

To get the weaker UHF's on RF channels 34 and 42 probably a 91-XG which may need the preamp also (join them with a UVSJ then the HDP-269 pre-amp).

More powerful preamps will almost certainly overload.

Jim,
Thanks for the equipment advice. :)
Here is what's going up by _my_ calculations:
Winegard HD7697P for $100 with little more than 50 feet of quality RG6 to a Pioneer Kuro tuner.
In my walk around the 'hood, I have seen a decent amount of antennas (old) with various aimpoints. Not a one had an amp., regardless of the three possible aimpoints, and few had a rotor.
I think that I have done all I can without a rooftop assay. A much less expensive system will work for the locals, but the challenge (moreso today in the digital domain) is NY.
It would be so nice to hear from folks in the Electric City about their experiences. Let's hear it, Scrantoneers!

Diligentia Vis Celeritas
HR20-700 thru
HDMI NATIVE=OFF
To SONY 34XBR970 CRT

#90 OFFLINE   BREVARDTV

BREVARDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Can i use a directv am-21 on a h-23-600 and who has the best price on it thanks in advance

#91 OFFLINE   lman12

lman12

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

I need a recommendation and I hope this is the right place to post. I live in Central New Jersey in a Townhouse. I have had an OTA digital antenna installed for the past 7 years. Until recently I have been able to pick up all digitial TV stations from Philly and New York City. Recently my RG-6 coax wire from the rooftop antenna to my pre amp became loosened and I lost the ability to receive the channels. The antenna is on the roof approximatley 30 feet up. I cannot get to it (I don't have a ladder nor am I handy).

I have been trying to find a tv installer or repair company in central NJ (around the New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Somerset, Piscataway, Bridgewater areas) that will essentially come out to my place and JUST re-run the coax (I can buy another preamp). Once again the antenna is secured with great guide wires, the rotor works and all I really need is the wire from the antenna leads to the tv rerun.

Can anybody recommend anybody to help???

#92 OFFLINE   mfc90125

mfc90125

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi, I'm brand new to this type of channel receiving, but for some reason I have never been able to access KVIE in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento area). I've tried about 10 different indoor amplified antennas and have run the surveys on tvfool to make sure I can receive KVIE, all with no success. Many times, I've been unable to receive other local stations in the evening like KMAX-31 which shows as having the strongest signal on the Fool survey!

Currently, I'm using an RCA Indoor Amplified Antenna M61004 with my Samsung PN58C550 and have run through that unit's air channel setup - it has a QAM/OTA/NTSC tuner. It's the version Sears used in its OTA demos and receives the most stations out of the 10 I've tried.

I'm willing to insall an attic or outdoor antenna, but I want to make sure I understand how to actually tune to these types of stations. I have a feeling I'm missing something very simple.

Any insights would be appreciated.

#93 OFFLINE   David HDDX

David HDDX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hi, I'm brand new to this type of channel receiving, but for some reason I have never been able to access KVIE in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento area). I've tried about 10 different indoor amplified antennas and have run the surveys on tvfool to make sure I can receive KVIE, all with no success. Many times, I've been unable to receive other local stations in the evening like KMAX-31 which shows as having the strongest signal on the Fool survey!

Currently, I'm using an RCA Indoor Amplified Antenna M61004 with my Samsung PN58C550 and have run through that unit's air channel setup - it has a QAM/OTA/NTSC tuner. It's the version Sears used in its OTA demos and receives the most stations out of the 10 I've tried.

I'm willing to insall an attic or outdoor antenna, but I want to make sure I understand how to actually tune to these types of stations. I have a feeling I'm missing something very simple.

Any insights would be appreciated.

A VHF lo/hi UHF combo antenna of modest size on the roof, with quality RG6 factory terminated cable, pointed in one direction should get you the signals you require for the major networks in the Sacramento market. It sounds like your indoor antenna is either malfunctioning or there is not enough signal exactly where you have it. Beware amplified antennas. They can amplify the wrong thing and blow what you really want right out of the water. Try shutting the amp off first as you seem to be in a strong territory.

Good luck!

Diligentia Vis Celeritas
HR20-700 thru
HDMI NATIVE=OFF
To SONY 34XBR970 CRT

#94 OFFLINE   mfc90125

mfc90125

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

A VHF lo/hi UHF combo antenna of modest size on the roof, with quality RG6 factory terminated cable, pointed in one direction should get you the signals you require for the major networks in the Sacramento market. It sounds like your indoor antenna is either malfunctioning or there is not enough signal exactly where you have it. Beware amplified antennas. They can amplify the wrong thing and blow what you really want right out of the water. Try shutting the amp off first as you seem to be in a strong territory.

Good luck!

Thanks - I'll give that a shot and report back.

#95 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

If you lose the strongest stations at night, there's a good chance that you shouldn't be using an amplified antenna. With digital channels, too much can be just as bad as too little. Digital cannot survive multipath.

Are you sure about the model number on your antenna? The only thing I was able to find with that model number was a Philips signal splitter.

#96 OFFLINE   mfc90125

mfc90125

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

UPDATE: I think my antenna model is ANT1251. I did try turning off the antenna during various points of the day, and I could not receive PBS any better. In fact, I lost many stations after turning the unit off.

#97 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

You don't want to turn the antenna off -- you want to turn the gain down. More often than not, when you turn an amplified antenna off, they provide no signal at all.

#98 OFFLINE   David HDDX

David HDDX

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

You don't want to turn the antenna off -- you want to turn the gain down. More often than not, when you turn an amplified antenna off, they provide no signal at all.

The unit in question has no potentiometer. It is either amplifying or not.

http://audiovox2.inf...1251_DOC_OM.PDF

Since the OP has tried this with little success, I suggest shortening and lengthening the VHF aerials and repositioning of said aerials, and moving the whole unit around would be the last best hope for DTV. There is no try, there is only do or not do. :-)

Edited by David HDDX, 31 May 2010 - 07:32 AM.
more info

Diligentia Vis Celeritas
HR20-700 thru
HDMI NATIVE=OFF
To SONY 34XBR970 CRT

#99 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Is anyone else in the Madison, WI area having trouble with vary fluctuations with Madison's UHF channels? I have a UHF-only antenna since early summer and for about the last month from day to day the signal strengths will go from the low 70's and then to upper 80's and two of the channels will go up to 100 other days.

Very frustrating because when they get to the low 70's the signal drops off/on and that I do not understand what it could be.

#100 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Is anyone else in the Madison, WI area having trouble with vary fluctuations with Madison's UHF channels? I have a UHF-only antenna since early summer and for about the last month from day to day the signal strengths will go from the low 70's to upper 80's and two of the channels will go up to 100.

Very frustrating because when they get to the low 70's the signal drops off/on and that I do not understand what it could be.

Assuming the following things: Your antenna and coax connections are all secure, no loose or corroded parts, or water ingress into the coax, and the antenna is firmly mounted where it cannot move in the wind, then...

Two things can cause your issue... Multipath or Skip. Multipath will USUALLY be there all the time, however, if the signal level of the station is increased due to nightly tropospheric enhancement, if could show up as multipath. The other thing would be you are receiving a weak(er) signal on the same channel from another city, which is causing interference to your primary signal.

If you are over 60 miles from the transmitter, then you are more than likely using some tropospheric enhancement to pick up the station. In the winter, that enhancement is generally much less prevalent.

If you post the TIME of DAY where you have the best signal, and the time you have problems with the signal breaking up, that would be helpful. If I was to guess, your signal is at its worse between 11am and 3pm?

You can check this site to see if there is any enhancement. If you notice REDs and YELLOWS from a direction other than the path between you and the transmitter, check for cities in the path of the REDS and YELLOWS and see if they have transmitters on the same channels as the ones you are having problems with.

http://www.mountainl...path.cgi?map=na

As I am typing this, you have quite a bit of enhancement going on the SE Wisconsin. If you are having the problem right now, then compare the map currently, to what it looks like when the signals are good, and you will start seeing a pattern.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall