Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Over-the-Air Digital Reception Issues and Discussion

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Davlnr
Thanx for the post...I really dont understand most of the stuff you just mentioned, but I am about 40 miles practically due east of Madison and all 4 channels, well at least 3 are within walking distance of each other and the last one a mile or two farther west. So, I looked at that map of enhancements over WI. Does that move out or ?? Hoping, if that is the problem that maybe it wont last forever. My Winegard antenna is 3yrs old and I had someone look at it when I repointed it from Milwaukee and swapped out a 5' mast with a 10' chain link fence top rail and ensured it was secure. Not aware of any cities w/ transmitters on the same channels. I will make a point to chart times of good and bad signal strengths and get back to you sometime down the road after the holidays.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

So you are around Whitewater? Waukesha? Yea, just check that map when you are having problems, and see if there is always a red/yellow patch over you when it is, or vice versa. When I lived in Waukesha, I had problems with skip coming in over Lake Michegan from Michegan. Checking w9wi.com I see that there are stations in Western Michegan on channels 11, 19, 26, and 50 which coincide with the atsc channels of your Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS channels from Madison. If that is the case, it might be possible to de-aim your antenna, by pointing it about 15-20 degrees north of the actual Madison transmitter direction, to put the Michegan stations in the sharp null most yagi antennas have at either side of the rear of them. If you are using a bowtie type antenna, then disregard that.

If it is skip from Michegan causing your problems, your only option then would be to increase your forward gain with a different antenna, which making sure the new one has at least as high a Front/Back ratio as your current antenna. Two antennas would fit that bill, the XG91 or an 8 bay screen. Problem with the XG91 is it wont have much if any gain on channel 11. The 8 bay screen should do ok.

Edited by Davenlr, 28 December 2010 - 10:00 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#103 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

I am in Watertown, about 9miles north of interstate between Milwaukee and Madison.
What am I supposed to be looking at when I go to site w9wi.com? All I see is a bunch of options.

Again, I looked at that map of enhancements over WI. Does that ever move out or ?? Hoping, if that is the problem that maybe it wont last forever.

Edited by hoophead, 29 December 2010 - 04:16 PM.

#104 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Oh, nothing on w9wi. Its just a list of all the licensed transmitters and their channels. I was using it to find channels in use in Madison, what are also in use across the lake in Michigan, since those skipping in off the back of your antenna could cause the symptoms you are describing. I just clicked on Show channels by state, and clicked on Michigan to see which ones matched up with Madison.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#105 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

How did you find this information? I'm using rabbit ears and I know it has alot to do with my reception. But the picture is way better than analog was.

#106 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Which information, the websites, or my conclusions? If the former, most of it was gleaned from DXing websites, www.rabbitears.info, and other ham radio sites. If the latter, it is from general experience of DXing TV over the last 40 years...I started DXing when I was 10.

#107 OFFLINE   jsquared22

jsquared22

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

I am in Washington state. My mother lives in Amarillo, TX. She is on Directv with OTA locals. I had DTV install an antenna for the locals when I switched her to DirecTV. I purchased the antenna from a local store.
Her problem is with local ABC channel. During the week she gets ABC just fine, but on the weekends she can not get ABC. I have called the ABC engineer about this problem without any help. Mother doesn't live far from the trasmitter and has a line of sight. All other local channels come in just fine.
Any help?
jsquared22

#108 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Phoenix DMA
I lost some of the OTA channels I had when I reran OTA setup. (twice) These are channels I have had since OTA tuners were activated. 3.1-2, 8.1-5, and 15.1-2. I was hoping the 7.2 problem had been corrected.

#109 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

I am in Washington state. My mother lives in Amarillo, TX. She is on Directv with OTA locals. I had DTV install an antenna for the locals when I switched her to DirecTV. I purchased the antenna from a local store.
Her problem is with local ABC channel. During the week she gets ABC just fine, but on the weekends she can not get ABC. I have called the ABC engineer about this problem without any help. Mother doesn't live far from the trasmitter and has a line of sight. All other local channels come in just fine.
Any help?
jsquared22

Somebody home (nearby) on weekends, using something that causes interference? Is it a VHF channel?
(Looks like KVII on RF channel 7)

Edited by kenglish, 17 August 2011 - 07:57 AM.
Added the call sign and channel I looked up on FCC site.

#110 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Any help?
jsquared22

Somebody home (nearby) on weekends, using something that causes interference? Is it a VHF channel?
(Looks like KVII on RF channel 7)

According to Wikipedia they actually broadcast on UHF channel 23, so none of the usual VHF problems should apply.
What kind of signal strength (error rate indication) does she get on the channel during the week vs. weekends?
How is reception of The CW on a subchannel (7.2)?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#111 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

On my over the air reception at exact intervals the channel is jumpy and the sound jumps. What would cause this?

When I first hooked to the aerial to the HOPPER this did not happen.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#112 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

On my over the air reception at exact intervals the channel is jumpy and the sound jumps. What would cause this?

When I first hooked to the aerial to the HOPPER this did not happen.

First thought is in analog days an electric fence would cause pulsing. Tell us more about your problem.

#113 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

First thought is in analog days an electric fence would cause pulsing. Tell us more about your problem.

There is not any electric fence. Nothing that's can think of that would cause this. I moved the aerial today hopefully that will help.

#114 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Are you anywhere near an airport or a weather radar station?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#115 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Are you anywhere near an airport or a weather radar station?

No the closest airport is like four miles away. A small commuter plane airport.

#116 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:20 AM

4 miles is close.  

You say regular intervals, but what are they?  Minutes?  Hours?  What?  On all channels, or just on one?

The Hopper seems to introduce glitches at the top and bottom of the hour.

The first-generation Hopper (and maybe the 2nd) also introduces glitches if it's busy doing something else - like if you're watching another program while it's recording and you use the skip or ff/rew buttons.

#117 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

4 miles is close.

You say regular intervals, but what are they? Minutes? Hours? What? On all channels, or just on one?

The Hopper seems to introduce glitches at the top and bottom of the hour.

The first-generation Hopper (and maybe the 2nd) also introduces glitches if it's busy doing something else - like if you're watching another program while it's recording and you use the skip or ff/rew buttons.

Like every 2 seconds. Regular network stations. These are completely recorded shows that are recorded when I am not at home.

#118 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Now today I taped the same show at the same time on the same channel and the reception was perfect. Makes no sence.

#119 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:19 AM

Could be some kind of battery charger or power supply.

Is there a charger on a phone close by? That could cycle on and off when the battery is fully charged.

Also, chargers on those solar cell systems (on people's roofs) can cycle on and off when they are near fully charged.

#120 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Long shot, but I recently had a client with a TIVO connected to OTA and it would only get a few channels from the in attic antenna.  I went so far as to run a cable from the TIVO to a temporary antenna I set up outdoors 100 feet from the house in a location where I could see the towers (about 35 miles).

That got them FEWER channels! And several of the channels would have 'break ups' every few seconds to minutes.

I pondered that for a bit, and grabbing at straws,  went and grabbed my little box of attenuators.  Tried 3dB and one channel improved slightly.  Kept adding more attenuation and saw more stable reception and more channels at every increase.

I eventually got up to 22dB (!!!!!!!!!) and got them up to all the channels they wanted but one (and I had seen it from the start but lost it around 10dB of attenuation) and declared victory.  Later I poked around on the internet and TIVO tuners are notorious on OTA it turns out.

They really want their missing channel, and I am thinking I am going to set up an MX4U for them, but I only have a VERY few left and apparently they don't make them anymore.

If the OP has an attenuator (LOL or a 4 or 8 way splitter and some 75 ohm term caps) might be worth a try, but it's a long shot for sure, and attenuation might delete some desired stations that are currently coming in fine.

And no, you can't have one of my MX4Us !

:coffee  

Protected By... spam firewall...And...