Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VIP611 squealing and freezing up

yamaha dtr 5540

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nls721

nls721

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hello - At times my 611 starts making a horrible squealing sound. Then, while it is still squealing the unit freezes up. The only way to get it to stop is to reset the system. And, then I usually have to delete the program being recorded (it always seems to happen when somethings being recorded). After calling tech support, I was told I am trying to record programs that aren't are copyrighted or there is an intereference w/ the singal. Which I could believe in bad weather, but now this happens every other day. Weather is great and I'm just recording normal primetime shows off CBS, ABC, etc. Anyone know what to do? Dish won't send me a new DVR bcuz they are claiming there isn't an issue. And, I am sick of spending money for this when I can't trust it will actually let me see the shows being recorded. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

Do you mean it physically emits a squealing sound, or do you mean a squeal that comes through your speakers?

If it's a physical squeal from the box, you probably have a dying cooling fan inside it.

Keith

#3 OFFLINE   nls721

nls721

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

It does come from the box, not through the speakers (I saw a post on that). Thanks for your answers, I was thinking it was something w/ the hard drive.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

Almost certainly a hard drive problem. Keep in mind that CSRs only read from their scripts, and most have little or no direct experience with the receivers themselves, so they often mis-diagnose the problems. You'll get better help once you can determine exactly what the problem is, and in this case, the hard drive seems to be failing.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

After calling tech support, I was told I am trying to record programs that aren't are copyrighted or there is an intereference w/ the singal.

A script wouldn't seem to be the most likely source for that line to have been pulled out of.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

What is a 611?

#7 OFFLINE   rkklinke

rkklinke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

I had the exact same problem a couple years ago with a 622. Actually someone from Dish read about my problem and contacted me through this forum and gave me a number to call at dish and a "Return Authorization Number" to send my receiver directly to an engineering unit at dish. I had the problem for months before I got the receiver switched out. It was definitely a shocking sound and didn't matter what I was doing or watching when it happened. TV, OTA, DVR. It would just go to a blank screen and then a very loud screeching sound and eventually it would reset itself if I didn't get to it first. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Sitting on the ground next to the TV and had the volume up a little louder than normal because it was a soft sound program and then the screeching sounded. Wow, did it wake me up. You are going to have to return it unless they figured out what the problem was and can give you some sort of update for your receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   mark40

mark40

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

I agree you are good! Just fantastic! Your penning style is admirable and the way you addressed the topic with grace is commendable.Since i am intrigued, I presume you are an expert on this subject. I am subscribing to your incoming updates from now on.
here is useful information on mcse please check it out

spam firewall