Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital Analog converter box also improves analog picture

standard definition

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

I have a directv sd receiver and an atsc digital to analog converter box I also have an rf modulator that outputs on channel 6 the rf modulator signal is combined with the d11-500 rf signal. the digital converter box is set to pass through. the strange thing is I get snow on channel 3 when the digital converter is off but when I turn the converter box on the snow is removed.

can anyone explain this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

How did you "combine" the signals?

#3 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

How did you "combine" the signals?

using a splitter in reverse

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Using a splitter in reverse isn't really the best way to combine signals. There are devices that will do that. I'd say that maybe you got lucky as a result of the DTV transition, that perhaps there is less interference than there used to be.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

Using a splitter in reverse isn't really the best way to combine signals. There are devices that will do that. I'd say that maybe you got lucky as a result of the DTV transition, that perhaps there is less interference than there used to be.

channel 3 has the directv box signal and channel 6 is th rf modulator.

when the box is off channel 3 has snow when I turn the box on the snow on channel disappears and the picture is clear. there is no difference with channel 6

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

I'm trying to imagine your configuration. It sounds like:

1. DirecTV RF output
2. Digital-to-analog RF output
3. RF modulator

It sounds like you have 3 "outputs" for only 2 sources. What are you using the RF modulator for?

Maybe we need more info.

Outside of that bit of confusion...

Not all "pass through" scenarios are created equal. I've seen a few pass-through scenarios (VCRs as an example) where they did not pass-through as cleanly when they were off as they did when they were on.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#7 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm trying to imagine your configuration. It sounds like:

1. DirecTV RF output
2. Digital-to-analog RF output
3. RF modulator

It sounds like you have 3 "outputs" for only 2 sources. What are you using the RF modulator for?

Maybe we need more info.

Outside of that bit of confusion...

Not all "pass through" scenarios are created equal. I've seen a few pass-through scenarios (VCRs as an example) where they did not pass-through as cleanly when they were off as they did when they were on.

an antenna is also connected to rf modulator.

1 and 3 and combined then fed into the converter box the rf out of converter box is fed into a vcr which is fed into a tv.

I use the rf modulator for the s-video output of my computer

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Ok.. I'm inclined to go with my gut reaction, then...

Some "pass-through" devices actually only pass-through when they are on for some reason... others still pass-through, but not as well. It's entirely possible that is what is going on in your situation.

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:23 AM

I'm baffled. What do you see that's snowy? Is it the DIRECTV receiver or a fuzzy version of something else?

The setup that I think you have may involve passing a signal through two pass-through devices (are you CERTAIN that the converter passes through???) as Stewart suggests.

Does your TV have only a single RF input?

Do you have poster with a matrix for what needs to be turned on and what needs to be turned off to see what you want so that others in the home can use it?

If it were mine, I'd bag RF and try to connect everything line level; even if you must use a switch. There are a couple of switches that will accept up to four line level inputs (either S-video or composite with stereo audio) and produce a single output to composite, S-video, or channel 3. The Philips PH-61153 is cool because it includes an RF modulator. You probably need something capable of manual switching though.

#10 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'm baffled. What do you see that's snowy? Is it the DIRECTV receiver or a fuzzy version of something else?

The setup that I think you have may involve passing a signal through two pass-through devices (are you CERTAIN that the converter passes through???) as Stewart suggests.

Does your TV have only a single RF input?

Do you have poster with a matrix for what needs to be turned on and what needs to be turned off to see what you want so that others in the home can use it?

If it were mine, I'd bag RF and try to connect everything line level; even if you must use a switch. There are a couple of switches that will accept up to four line level inputs (either S-video or composite with stereo audio) and produce a single output to composite, S-video, or channel 3. The Philips PH-61153 is cool because it includes an RF modulator. You probably need something capable of manual switching though.

when the conerter box is off I see a fuzzy version of the directv receiver. when the converter box is on the directv receiver is not fuzzy

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

when the conerter box is off I see a fuzzy version of the directv receiver. when the converter box is on the directv receiver is not fuzzy

Sounds like you need to leave the converter box on (and apparently in bypass mode) and it will work the way you designed it. Is there some other problem?

#12 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Sounds like you need to leave the converter box on (and apparently in bypass mode) and it will work the way you designed it. Is there some other problem?

no other problem.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

no other problem.

So what was the point of this exercise?

#14 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

So what was the point of this exercise?

to ask why the converter box improves analog picture

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,011 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

to ask why the converter box improves analog picture

But it probably isn't. The truth is probably that the converter box is hurting the signal when off, and passing-through when on... not that it is improving it.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

How does one access the twit list feature?

#17 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

But it probably isn't. The truth is probably that the converter box is hurting the signal when off, and passing-through when on... not that it is improving it.

One very remote possiblity is that the DirecTv box is pumping out to hot of a RF signal overdriving the TV tuner. Adding all the stuff inbetween knocks it down enough where the TV tuner is happy. Other than that, I got nothing.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

spam firewall