Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A warning to those cancelling DirecTV service...

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

I recently cancelled my D* service, and thought I would give an FYI/warning to those who will be doing it also. When calling D* to cancel, I was told that I would receive a final billing notice for any amount still due including any early termination fees. I was also told that if the bill was not paid within about 6 days of receipt, that payment would automatically be charged against the credit card I had on file with D*. Fine, or so I thought...

Without notice, DirecTV charged my CC for the balance amount within a few days. So be forewarned - no matter what the CSR told you:
- You will not receive a final billing notice.
- You will not have the option to select a payment method.
- You will not receive any type charge notification.
- Any overdraft or NSF fees incurred as a result of the D* charges to the CC acount on file will not be reimbursed.

Just a warning to those about to cancel (and my need to vent), and I hope this information will help reduce or eliminate any headaches that I endured because of this D* service cancellation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

How many months early were you leaving? If it was not alot then the fee should not of been very high.

#3 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Note also that if you have paperless billing, you won't receive a final bill.

#4 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

I just had a HD receiver installed, so it was about 23 months worth of ETF I had to pay back. I knew this when I terminated, but I did not expect the above to happen.

I had not signed up for paperless billing, I always received a bill from D* in the mail.

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:37 AM

I just had a HD receiver installed, so it was about 23 months worth of ETF I had to pay back. I knew this when I terminated, but I did not expect the above to happen.

I had not signed up for paperless billing, I always received a bill from D* in the mail.

You cancelled after one month? Can we ask why?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Isn't it just as simple to stop the auto pay at the time of termination?
I know when I thought I might be leaving, I did stop auto pay, then checked out my local cable service.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Not trying to take sides with DirecTV, but didn't you get an agreement?

DirecTV Customer Agreement

#8 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

I was actually with DirecTV for over 6 years, but just had an HD receiver installed before the cancellation. My primary reason for cancelling was my internet service, and the issues I was having with it. AT&T U-verse became available in my area with the internet download speeds I wanted, and offered a total package price for TV, internet and phone that's about $50 less per month than what I was paying for the combined services (DirecTV and AT&T phone and DSL) previously, and with better internet VoIP phone now.

I was willing to wait it out with DirecTV but the new HD receiver install was nothing less than a fiasco, and was what pushed me over the edge to cancel. A tech came out 3 times to fix issues with the install and it still wasn't working right, causing our 3 household TVs to lose picture or intermittently lose picture. We were fine up until the new HD receiver install though.

#9 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

You don't have to be in auto pay. CC on file

This is from the agreement.

(e) Payment Upon Cancellation. You acknowledge that you have provided your credit or debit card account information to us. You understand that you will incur fees and charges as a result of your receipt and use of Service and/or Receiving Equipment, and may incur early cancellation fees and/or equipment non-return fees (as specified in any lease, programming or other service commitment agreement you entered into in connection with obtaining Receiving Equipment). By giving us your credit or debit card account information, you authorize us to apply this method of payment, in accordance with applicable law, to satisfy any and all amounts due upon cancellation. You further acknowledge that you are required to maintain current credit or debit card information with us and agree to notify us whenever there is a change in such information, such as a change in the card number or the expiration date.

#10 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

I know when I thought I might be leaving, I did stop auto pay, then checked out my local cable service.

I never had auto pay with DirecTV.

Not trying to take sides with DirecTV, but didn't you get an agreement?

Yes, I did. But I didn't think I needed to read it before cancelling. The DirecTV rep who took my cancellation order stated that I would receive a bill in the mail with the final amount due. I didn't think not to take them at their word when they stated this. :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

Reps like those just makes companies like DirecTV look bad. When really DirecTV and all other companies are good companies and they provide the info for all teh reps, but the reps just don't take the time to tell the customers the info.

#12 OFFLINE   BKC

BKC

Icon

• Banned User
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

I know it's too late now :(

Step #1. Cancel CC DTV has on file (Call CC company tell them it is lost)
Step #2. Cancel DTV service.

#13 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

I know it's too late now :(

Step #1. Cancel CC DTV has on file (Call CC company tell them it is lost)
Step #2. Cancel DTV service.

Thanks, lesson learned now though. This whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth for DirecTV. And it's not really the money part, but the principle of the thing. If the retention dept (who I got transferred to) had simply told me how the remaining payment would be handled, then I wouldn't have an issue. I really wanted Verizon FiOS for internet, but it's still not available in my area. If it does arrive then I'll be switching to that, but unfortunately D* won't be getting any more of my TV business.

#14 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

The real issue is:

Should a Directv customer have the expectation that what a CSR tells them is correct?

The answer is YES.

Reality? Not a chance.

I do not think Directv is any better/worse than any other company on this issue. Low wages, poor training, confusing offerings, etc all contribute to a terrible customer service experience.(and add to this that some customers are not clear in asking their questions or making clear exactly what resolution they want)

I monitor my Directv account on a regular basis. (especially after I have made a change)

Bruce

#15 OFFLINE   Rambler

Rambler

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

You're absolutely right Bruce. But my information came from a retention dept rep, who should know how the cancellation process goes. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one they've had to cancel service for. ;)

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

How many months early were you leaving? If it was not alot then the fee should not of been very high.

Overdraft fees and late charges aren't tied to the unfulfilled remainder of your DIRECTV commitment.

#17 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

I have been a DirecTv customer for more than 12 years now. I've never had a credit card on file with them and i've always paid my bill by check.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

I have been a DirecTv customer for more than 12 years now. I've never had a credit card on file with them and i've always paid my bill by check.

Suffice it to say that they don't work that way anymore and haven't since the recent churn reduction initiatives were put in place about four years ago.

They now require a credit card and typically do at least a cursory credit check on ALL prospective customers.

When you came on board, the SAC was probably a single digit percentage of what it is now (now around $708)

Edited by harsh, 16 June 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

I guess I am another old timer as well, I want something from D* and they send me a bill. :)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#20 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts