Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV vs. DISH (was: D* vs. E*)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

I give Directv a slight edge right now, and expect the lead to grow significantly when the new satellite (D12) launches later this year to expand HD (nationals, premiums, etc). Directv has better customer service, slightly better picture (although, most can't tell a difference) and doesn't get into have public negotiating battles with local affiliates where a network can get pulled w/o notice for six months (i.e. Fisher/ABC). The remote recording feature on the DVR is fantastic and if you're a Tivo fan, they are currently developing a new HD-DVR for Directv that should be out early next year. So if you don't see much of a difference right now, you very well could see a significant one by early next year in Directv's favor.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

"D*" is a common, albeit disfavored, abbreviation for DirecTV;

Disfavored by some, but much better than the decidedly confusing "DTV" (DIRECTV's stock symbol for the time being) moniker that the gubmint chose to use for digital television.

Technically, DIRECTV is in all caps. Their direct competitor (although they concentrate on comparing themselves to cable) goes by DISH Network.

#43 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Look again Harsh:

Oopsie. :blush:

#44 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

You can get 2 612's for free and if you decide to pay $99 up front you can have E* without any contract.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

Well he still pointed out the truth.

That's kind of like pointing out that if you stand in the rain, you're going to get wet. It would seem that the OP crafted their query to avoid the issue of sports.

#46 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:42 PM

Yes, they have an app. But no need when you can go direct to a site that looks like any app.

Same site with dish. Whether you use a mobile phone or your desktop computer. Just the format changes completely depending on what you are using.

And with the 922 receiver you'll be able to watch your DVR shows on your iphone anywhere you are.

You can use any mobile phone browser with Directv, too... m.directv.com
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

You can use any mobile phone browser with Directv, too... m.directv.com

yeah, that was posted a couple of times already.

#48 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:43 PM

For a simple answer, for you I might go with Dish if HD movie channels are your top priority. I think most of your other questions are a wash really.

This sums it up pretty well in this case.

The only way to improve on this would be to do some serious hands-on testing with the respective DVRs and see how they work and judge the PQ and usability first-hand.

#49 OFFLINE   Cyphernaut

Cyphernaut

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

At the moment I'm leaning towards Dish for my situation, but I'll need to really sit down and price out plans and the details tonight when I get home for work. And if I do go with Dish, it's probably worth waiting for the 922 dvr if it's coming out in the next month or two. Anyone know?

#50 OFFLINE   Cyphernaut

Cyphernaut

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

oh and thanks for all of the help and input!

#51 OFFLINE   Cyphernaut

Cyphernaut

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

You can get 2 612's for free and if you decide to pay $99 up front you can have E* without any contract.

Is this a standard online deal or something special?

#52 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:52 PM

Its akin to trying to get a drink of a fire hydrant Cyphernaut.

First off: :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Do you know of anyone in your area that you could see Dish Network in action?

I -believe- you could go to a Best Buy (or Costco) and try out DirecTV.

I have been a DirecTV sub since 1997 by personal choice. If you can try both hands-on it might really help with your decision.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#53 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

The main reason I do not predict that D* will take the lead in HD premiums is because they don't even have the lead in SD premiums. E* has led premiums as a whole for quite a long time.

#54 OFFLINE   Cyphernaut

Cyphernaut

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Its akin to trying to get a drink of a fire hydrant Cyphernaut.

First off: :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Do you know of anyone in your area that you could see E* in action?

I -believe- you could go to a Best Buy (or Costco) and try out D*.

I have been a D* sub since 1997 by personal choice. If you can try both hands-on it might really help with your decision.

thx for the warm welcome! i've been lurking here for a bit, but wanted to get in the action today :)

#55 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

I give Directv a slight edge right now, and expect the lead to grow significantly when the new satellite (D12) launches later this year to expand HD (nationals, premiums, etc).

It is dangerous to look too far ahead when it comes to getting what you want. It may come, or it may not. It is probably best to go with the service that has what you want now rather than assuming you'll eventually get what you want some time down the road.

Directv has better customer service,

They both suffer and each has their victories and failures.

and doesn't get into have public negotiating battles with local affiliates where a network can get pulled w/o notice for six months (i.e. Fisher/ABC).

While the battles may not be public, the've DIRECTV obviously has had some difficulties coming to agreements with stations and channels as well.

The remote recording feature on the DVR is fantastic

The DISH Remote Access feature is considerably more advanced.

and if you're a Tivo fan, they are currently developing a new HD-DVR for Directv that should be out early next year.

For those who are familiar with TiVo this is the one point we agree on (assuming it comes to pass).

So if you don't see much of a difference right now, you very well could see a significant one by early next year in Directv's favor.

Why wait?

#56 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

thx for the warm welcome! i've been lurking here for a bit, but wanted to get in the action today :)

I feel you are going about it the right way... especially where you make it clear you don't want to start a flame war. ;)
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#57 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

Is this a standard online deal or something special?

This is a standard deal, all new customers with E* can waive the 24 month commitment by paying $99 up front. You might be able to get three 612's for free but, I do not think they would lease you 3 of them unless you had three HDTV's to hookup at the install. If you think that you will be needing the third TV soon it might pay to go ahead and get it now because any upgrades with E* will result in a 24 month contract. The only way for an exsisting E* customer to add or upgrade receivers without a contract is to buy them outright which is more expensive. If you can find a local retailer, that is sometimes the best way to go because you have brick and mortar business to take your problems to if you have any.

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Understand that either way, you'll be entering into a 24 month commitment so it pays to be diligent in your evaluation.

DIRECTV charges $20/month of unfulfilled commitment and DISH Network charges $12.50/month.

#59 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

OK, this reply will win me some friends. Check the channel lineups on both, that is the only thing in your list that matters. This covers items (1) and (3)

PQ, not an issue, the fact that there is a debate should tell you that both have acceptable PQ and unless you compare both, on you TV in your living room, with your tv tweaked like you like it, you will never get a good answer on PQ.

Hardware, not an issue. Both get you there. I loved my Tivo, I can live with my HR-xxx boxes. As with most hardware, it only matters in as much as it supports the software (or programming) you want. Who really cares if the UI is pretty if all you want to watch is a channel you can't get.

As to price, if you are paying for the full boat, are you really going to worry about saving $5 on $130 dollar bill?

Like others, I would also say that the answer at this second is probably DISH. The answer in six months may be DIRECTV. Of course in another 3 months after that it might well be DISH again.

My advice, find the programing that best suits you right now. Pull the trigger then be happy. In the end, TV is hard to mess up.

#60 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

And with the 922 receiver you'll be able to watch your DVR shows on your iphone anywhere you are.

Since Dish is the nickel and dime with fees company I wonder if they will end up asking for a one time or monthly feed to use the Sling capability? Since Echostar bought Sling does it make financial sense for them to 'give away' a feature that normally would cost you $180 (or $299 for the HD) for the standalone product?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall