Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV vs. DISH (was: D* vs. E*)

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   tim99

tim99

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Of course that's true but somguy is right. Dish outsources a portion of their email and phone support to ePLDT Ventus in the Philippines. Ventus is the call center subsidary of PDLT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone).

Finally, not everyone who speaks broken English is in a foreign country.

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .

#122 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I don't think this is the case. Those who are upgrading from HR10s have been relatively fortunate but others have been paying. It seems reasonable that the AM21 an the DISH dual tuner module should be free as they are useless without their respective receivers.

Let's file it under the cost to the provider of shorting you on LIL.

I pretty much agree with you. DirecTV however has been pretty good about providing the AM21 for free (or at most shipping cost) if you 1) don't have HD LIL on the sat or 2) You claim you need it for HD channels that aren't carried like PBS or CW.

#123 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Of course that's true but somguy is right. Dish outsources a portion of their email and phone support to ePLDT Ventus in the Philippines. Ventus is the call center subsidary of PDLT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone).

Yep. Most (all?) of Dish's customer service is done off shore in places like Philippines and India.

Most of DirecTV's customer service call centers are done in the United States in "cheaper" locals like Idaho and Oklahoma. They do have 1 call center in the Philippines for overnight support.

#124 OFFLINE   tim99

tim99

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

Not sure currently but in a 2006(ish) meeting with Convergys (who does a portion of U.S support for D*, TWC and Comcast among others) we were told that Dish did about 20% of their support thru Ventus in the Philippines. IIRC at the time Dish had 11-12 call centers in the U.S and they were just opening 1-2 in TX, something about converting old Walmart stores to call centers which is the only reason I remember it.

Again tho that data is 2-3 years old. I know Convergys is ramping up in the Philippines and just opened a few new call centers there this year but I didn't know until you said that they were servicing any D* accounts. I know Convergys has like 20,000 employees there.

Yep. Most (all?) of Dish's customer service is done off shore in places like Philippines and India.

Most of DirecTV's customer service call centers are done in the United States in "cheaper" locals like Idaho and Oklahoma. They do have 1 call center in the Philippines for overnight support.

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .

#125 OFFLINE   ht2

ht2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:58 AM

I am sports fan(I need Speed ch HD) so I stuck with d*.

My complain to D*:
Some D* CSRs are very bad also.
We are told to have better then dual buffer support more then one year ago and also told expand 50 more ch last satellite but we got only 5-10ch plus 20-30 useless PPVHD ch. So don't buy something with promises only.
Remote response is very bad on HR21 HDDVR.

If you don't care about sports E* is better chice for OP because free 1st HDDVR and more premium HD channels.

But if I am movie fan, the current best value is Comcast $30 digital cable + on demand and HBO package for 12 month and I will add $20 Netflix package to get Blu-ray disks for movies.
You get
1. The Best PQ and Sound of Blu-ray movie.
2. Most local HDTV support.
3. 1394 output port. I think there is E-SATA drive support if you get TIVO HDDVR.

You save money for 12 month then check D*, E*, FIOS and ATT Uverse again next year because Comcast will charge arms and legs after the promotion price.

#126 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Not sure of the numbers or the percentages are, but Dish definitely has both On and Offshore support. Infact, it is usually suggested to call during the day to get a onshore CSR. I personally I have not seen any numbers that would suggest using "Most" to describe their support structure and it definitely is not all.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#127 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

Not sure of the numbers or the percentages are, but Dish definitely has both On and Offshore support. Infact, it is usually suggested to call during the day to get a onshore CSR. I personally I have not seen any numbers that would suggest using "Most" to describe their support structure and it definitely is not all.

Thanks for the correction. I think I've read the "most" a few times over at the other site and that they have just 1 or 2 call centers left in the US. But obviously I don't follow Dish that closely so I could be wrong. But I do know that most of DirecTV's call centers are here in the US with just offshore for the overnight hours.

#128 OFFLINE   3dfan

3dfan

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:49 AM

I read all the cons and prons and to me DISH has the best characteristics as DIRECTV ! :)
love good red wine )))

#129 OFFLINE   Dolphins72

Dolphins72

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

There is no doubt that DirectTV HD is superior to Dish HD. I myself have DishHD and I can tell by looking that it is inferior to DirectTV HD. At the place where I work, we have DirecTV and the HD picture quality is far superior to Dish HD. At work we have been watching alot of the Olympic coverage on our local NBC station, and the HD picture at work on DirecTV is a lot better than the supposedly HD picture on my dish network. Alot of the time, it looks like it is not even in HD even though the program info says it is in HD. I had previously had Mediacom HD and it is far superior to Dish and I now wish I would have stuck with them. But I switched because the picture quality on the non-HD channels was terrible and they kept raising prices and also the number of HD channels that you get with Mediacom was small. The major complaint I have with Dish is that they have too many shopping and religion channels on their smaller pkgs. I have the 120+ pkg which roughly comes to about 160 channels, and I figured that I watch maybe 25 of those channels. That even includes the local channels. If I wanted to I could switch back to DirectV. Their HD is just better.:( By the way, this thread is not more than 1093 days as it has warned me about. Today is Wednesday August 8,2012.

#130 OFFLINE   Dolphins72

Dolphins72

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

I definitely have noticed that. I get tired of having to talk to people who cannot speak english clearly. Anytime that I get someone from INDIA, I hang up and call again till I get someone who is American! You can take that as bigotry or whatever but the one thing I cannot stand are people who cannot speak our language well. There are plenty of people in the USA that could do the job just as well.

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,602 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

By the way, this thread is not more than 1093 days as it has warned me about. Today is Wednesday August 8,2012.

Actually, it was. The last post in the thread was nearly three years ago.
You have woken up a very old thread for your "argument".

#132 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

but the one thing I cannot stand are people who cannot speak our language well.

At work we have been watching alot of the

Alot of the time,

'Alot' is not a word.

Allot is a word.

A lot is two words.

:rolleyes:
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#133 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

There is no doubt that DirectTV HD is superior to Dish HD. I myself have DishHD and I can tell by looking that it is inferior to DirectTV HD. At the place where I work, we have DirecTV and the HD picture quality is far superior to Dish HD. At work we have been watching alot of the Olympic coverage on our local NBC station, and the HD picture at work on DirecTV is a lot better than the supposedly HD picture on my dish network. Alot of the time, it looks like it is not even in HD even though the program info says it is in HD. I had previously had Mediacom HD and it is far superior to Dish and I now wish I would have stuck with them. But I switched because the picture quality on the non-HD channels was terrible and they kept raising prices and also the number of HD channels that you get with Mediacom was small. The major complaint I have with Dish is that they have too many shopping and religion channels on their smaller pkgs. I have the 120+ pkg which roughly comes to about 160 channels, and I figured that I watch maybe 25 of those channels. That even includes the local channels. If I wanted to I could switch back to DirectV. Their HD is just better.:( By the way, this thread is not more than 1093 days as it has warned me about. Today is Wednesday August 8,2012.

I definitely have noticed that. I get tired of having to talk to people who cannot speak english clearly. Anytime that I get someone from INDIA, I hang up and call again till I get someone who is American! You can take that as bigotry or whatever but the one thing I cannot stand are people who cannot speak our language well. There are plenty of people in the USA that could do the job just as well.

I bet they could read a date properly though.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#134 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

OK, I'm game. Directv has a better overall picture quality, it has AMCHD and that's a plus. Their call centers are mostly in the U.S. But over-the-air is better and less compressed, in regards to locals.

#135 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

There are also legions of Americans who can't speak English worth a hoot, or are too dense to be of help for all but the most mundane of tasks.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#136 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,996 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

'Alot' is not a word.

Allot is a word.

A lot is two words.

Since we're allotted but one correction per diem, I will point out that all right is two words; one sees "alright" a lot of the time. Bleah!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#137 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Dish network the Tennesse vs NC state game look like bleep in SD on my HD set last night thinking about when I still had Direct TV HD ESPNU .
:nono2:

#138 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Since we're allotted but one correction per diem, I will point out that all right is two words; one sees "alright" a lot of the time. Bleah!

How about I-eegut-blah instead? :lol:

Anyone remember Greg the Bunny?

#139 OFFLINE   Clearcreek

Clearcreek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

ESPNU in SD is one reason I have hesitated going from Direct to a Hopper. Also, no over the air tuner as of yet.

#140 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

ESPNU in SD is one reason I have hesitated going from Direct to a Hopper. Also, no over the air tuner as of yet.

That's why I went with DISH's VIP922/wMT2.It has 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners.It also has DISH's new HDDVR format(channel logo guide and Menu Tiles).But it's not a whole home system which I don't need so I went with a VIP211k in each of my 3 bedrooms.:)

spam firewall