Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Delay when switching channels?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   inthemaetricks

inthemaetricks

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

When channel surfing on a direct TV HD reciever there is a long delay between each channel. Does this happen on dish network? I'm trying to decide which survice provider is better and that's one thing that annoyed me about dish network along with service outages.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

When channel surfing on a direct TV HD reciever there is a long delay between each channel. Does this happen on dish network?

Yes

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Since DBS receivers send a control signal to the LNB which then 'switches' to the correct side of the signal there are indeed delays. Not much can be done to fix that.

#4 OFFLINE   inthemaetricks

inthemaetricks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

very good thank you. Although they do claim that dishnetwork is 2x faster between channels than direct TV. I found that on dish networks web site.

#5 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

On your Directv receiver/dvr, have you set "native" to off (in the setup menu under HDTV)? This speeds up the channel changes. Just make sure you set your receiver/dvr to either 720p or 1080i, depending on your TV.

Btw, didn't channel surfing go out once channel guides became the norm.

Edited by ajc68, 16 June 2009 - 09:41 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

Dvr models are longer than the non-dvr ones due to the channels having to go thru a buffer first.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Not trying to be "smart" here... but you might have to define "long".

As others have suggested, the HD channels process more info than SD so that adds a little to the delay and the DVR receivers vs non-DVR also adds a little delay.

There's also a timing factor since the way MPEG compression works (key frames transmitted ever so often, with only change-frames in between) the time of synching can vary depending on how close to the next key frame you are when you change the channel.

Weather and poor signal also affects this to a degree.

In an optimal configuration with all other things being equal... I typically don't see a delay that bothers me, but I haven't actually timed it to see just how long the delay is when I switch channels.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,772 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

That's why there's an EPG... :D
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#9 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

If your main desire is fast channel surfing, you want to try AT&T U-Verse. I tried it and it literally seems to change channels instantly, much faster than any satellite I've tried.

That said, I prefer Dish over it in just about all other aspects. I don't channel surf, but instead use the guide to find out things to watch, so the short delay changing channels I don't even think about any more. I've also noticed sometimes it seems faster if the channel you change to is on the same satellite as the channel you are watching. I guess the switch doesn't have to switch, so it seems a bit faster.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#10 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:29 AM

When channel surfing on a direct TV HD reciever there is a long delay between each channel. Does this happen on dish network? I'm trying to decide which survice provider is better and that's one thing that annoyed me about dish network along with service outages.

What might the best thing for you to do is, find a local dish retailer and go try it out. That would be the best way for you to know if it is fast enough for you.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#11 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

That's why there's an EPG... :D

Yep, I gave up channel surfing and started EPG surfing years ago.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#12 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Dish channels change a lot slower than DirecTV. When I had DirecTV they would change instantly. Dish will take 2 to 5 seconds sometimes before the picture came on.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#13 OFFLINE   34Ford

34Ford

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

Dish receivers in my opinion.

I have a receiver that blows the doors off of my 622 when a channel is changed.
Dennis

#14 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

The speed at which any individual receiver puts up a picture on a new channel is determined by how much data the receiver receiveds from the satelllite atream and how fast that receiver processes that data.

Therefore, a weak signal will slow down channel appearance as will a slow processor. Dish seems to have a faster processor that Direct in certain receivers.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#15 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:04 AM

Dish channels change a lot slower than DirecTV. When I had DirecTV they would change instantly. Dish will take 2 to 5 seconds sometimes before the picture came on.

either you're exaggerating, or you had a faulty receiver/signal.

I find dish changes channels faster than directv. 5 seconds is ridiculous. You should've called somebody.

#16 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

What might the best thing for you to do is, find a local dish retailer and go try it out. That would be the best way for you to know if it is fast enough for you.

Definately do this. I found the delay annoying initially (I have Dish), but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...