Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox wins season C-3 (commercials, live plus 3 days)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

In this Media Daily News story, we learn that Fox viewers still watch more commercials and the DVR users watch more than live viewers. However, Fox numbers (along with ABC, NBC, and The CW) dropped from last year while CBS was the only network to see an increase. This reflects the facts about total viewers generally.

I don't know what that says about Fox 18-49 DVR viewers. Maybe they're so wasted by the time they watch a recorded program, they just let the commercials run.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

That's interesting when you consider that Fox has fewer hours of scheduled programming than the other networks, and Fox had two programs (Fringe, Dollhouse) airing with minimial commercials.

#3 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

lol....it doesnt mean commercials as in tv commercials....its just another name for the rating system.

"commercial": Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.

#4 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

How is it not about TV commercials? Phrelin even summed it up: "Fox viewers still watch more commercials".

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:47 PM

lol....it doesnt mean commercials as in tv commercials....its just another name for the rating system.

"commercial": Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.

C3 are ratings for commercials watched during a program's original
broadcast and in DVR playback. These ratings are released a few weeks
after program ratings.

Yes, it means commercials as in TV commercials.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

ok i got it i think....but im still lost why its a surprise....if they had the higher ratings wouldnt they still have the most watched commercials even if a higher % of viewers are FF them ?

if not nevermind....im lost....lol.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Your right, sort of. The odd thing is that DVR users watched the commercials at a higher rate than the "live" viewers. I don't really understand that number. Why not take advantage of the DVR by skipping commercials? Since the numbers discussed were the 18-49 demo, the only conclusion I can come to is that they indeed are a group whose buying habits could be influenced by commercials.

Just a curiosity at this point.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

Why not take advantage of the DVR by skipping commercials?

Evidently, they're using the DVR just for time-shifting, not commercial skipping... ;)

I've noticed that if I'm just watching a recorded show, I tend to skip the commercials, but if I'm sort of watching a recorded show while doing something else (reading the newspaper, surfing the internet, etc.) I skip fewer commercials since I'm not paying as close attention to the recorded show. Of course, that means I'm not paying attention to the commercials either, so it reinforces the point that DVR watchers are less valuable to the networks since they're either fast-forwarding thru the commercials, skipping them, or not paying attention to them!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...