Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 16)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Caitlan & Jason (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

2. Melissa & Ade (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Randi & Evan (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Jeanine & Phillip (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Kayla & Kūpono (1 votes [5.00%])

6. Karla & Jonathan (1 votes [5.00%])

7. Asuka & Vitolio (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Janette & Brandon (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote

#1 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Poor Max didn't make it out of the Ballroom and Ashley, we'll miss you, but someone had to go.

Tonight, your Top 16
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hillncharge

hillncharge

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

I thought last night's performances were better than last weeks. I was a little worried after the first performance but it really picked up after that.

#3 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

Gold Star
Melissa & Ade
Jeanette & Brandon

Props go out to
Caitlan & Jason
Randi & Evan
Jeanine & Phillip
Kayla & Kūpono

Could have been better
Karla & Jonathan (Although, I thought Karla did very well)
Asuka & Vitolio

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

Interestingly, many times the women seem to blend together in my mind while I am focusing more on the men :D, but last night the women seemed to dance better than the guys in the pairs that I ranked lower.

After Janette and Brandon danced, I felt that their hip hop routine might very well be my favorite of the night. They certainly topped anything prior to their dance last night in my book. It was a "fun" competition between the two which catered to their strengths, but was made more difficult by the choreographer when he saw Brandon's skill level, and it was danced very well.

I actually thought that Jonathan and Karla did okay, but Nigel stressed only points for improvement. I'm guessing that by insisting that J & K would be in the bottom, Nigel has spurred voters to keep them safe.

Melissa and Ade were okay too, but I didn't spot anything special. Ade has worn all black the last two weeks, and it's harder to focus on his movements--he blends into the background sometimes. I think Mary commented on Ade's good footwork, but in the turn, I thought his footwork was quite bad and made the turn jerky instead of smooth. Melissa was certainly the stand-out in this routine, but when the guy doesn't have much to do, it makes me think maybe he couldn't do much the choreographer wanted.

I liked Asuka and Vitollio's performance. Though not perfectly synchronized, they did a commendable job. It was an interesting mix of styles performed quite well, I thought.

Kayla and Kupono did very well for a new partnership, not a routine we'll remember forever, but beautiful to watch nonetheless. Mary certainly is fond of Kayla, keeping her on the hot tamale train for yet another week--uh, that's all weeks so far by the way. Kupono joins her this week for his first time on the train.

Caitlin and Jason did a credible job, but not up to my expectations after the Bollywood number. Caitlin looked scared to death at some points--tough choreography or just afraid of blanking out??--which didn't inspire confidence in me.

What a quirky number Mia did for Randi and Evan!! I enjoyed it very much and thought the dancers did an excellent job--this is why I like Evan, he can slip into this kind of role so easily and has the skills to back it up. Randi did a great job in graciously handling the focus on her derriere and danced beautifully!! Mia's park bench and butt dances will stick in my memory! :D

Despite what is said to be a huge following for Phillip, I don't see that he is keeping up with the other dancers. They should have been in the bottom last week, and though I think he did better this week than last, they could rightfully be there again. I felt, as Nigel did, that Jeanine had done a great job, but Phillip was just not quite up to her level.

I'm not sure who I'd select for the bottom three, though I do know who I think should go. My picks won't happen though--at least not this early. :D

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Jonathan/Karla, and Phillip/Jeanine are my candidates for the bottom tonight. Of the two P&J were the worst, IMO. Phillip just isn't meeting a lot of expectations this season. Haven't a clue who will be the third couple, but I expect it won't be an overwhelmingly popular choice.

I agree, Charise, Janette/Brandon were superb, as were Randi/Evan.

I even heard Evan danced last night?:P Needless to say, my eyes were elsewhere.

And why the sullen face on Toni all night? So what if the man didn't have any shoes on? Maybe too close to Mary, whomade an exception and put a waltz on the train? Did I hear that right?

Do you think Asuka had something to do with the asynchronous dancing that pair suffered last night?

Wardrobe was on the mark last night. Some beautiful oufits graced the dance floor, for sure.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

I even heard Evan danced last night?:P Needless to say, my eyes were elsewhere. Good one!

And why the sullen face on Toni all night? She really seemed to want to compliment the choreographers and didn't spend much time on the dancers--a bit strange.

Do you think Asuka had something to do with the asynchronous dancing that pair suffered last night? I'll have to watch again and watch especially for that. Each week seems to have some great routines, so I am saving all the Wednesday shows. I'll check it out one of these days. Too much Wimbledon on right now. :)

Wardrobe was on the mark last night. Some beautiful oufits graced the dance floor, for sure. You're absolutely correct. Costumes really can help sell a dance, and that's forgotten sometimes, because I think they usually do an excellent job with wardrobe on this show.

I'm just getting started on watching tonight's show, and I thought Nigel had a good take on the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson showing the positive aspects of their lives and what they left us. What a weird day! I think we all realized that Farrah wouldn't last long, but it was actually a shock first that MJ suffered cardiac arrest and then that he was gone. RIP and thanks for the years of enjoyment you all gave me.

#7 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

Well, the bottom three couples were:

Asuka & Vitolio
Karla & Jonathan
Caitlan & Jason

The two leaving are Asuka & Jonathan

Nigel almost said word for word what I was thinking .. I'm not even remotely a dancer, but I guess it's not that hard to see what seems to work vs. what doesn't.

Where I guess Nigel's knowledge pays off is that I thought Karla did well on her solo. I did think Caitlan was a notch above, but I didn't think Karla was that much below her. In any event, it seemed clear to me that Asuka would go home tonight.

On the guys side, I mentioned to my daughter before I knew the results, that I thought Vitolio had the best solo of the group .. although I disliked his "poor sportsmanship" aura after he finished the solo. Jason's solo was simply a mess and I thought he actually did was the worst of the three solos, but I said to my daughter that Jonathan would go home simply because Vitolio will very likely be a better partner for Karla than Jonathan.

I predict that Karla will make Vitolio better and that Vitolio will make Karla look better.

Of the 14 that are left, Melissa looks to me to be the strongest dancer of the girls (more experience pays off here) despite the fawning over Kayla. Jeanette seems to be extremely versatile which is exactly what you need for this competition. So those two seem a lock for the top 10 at this point.

On the Girls side .. again, same groups. Brandon and Ade seem to be a lock for the top 10. Chbeeb may be a lock on voting power alone, but he won't make it to the end. At some point, his Shtick with wear on the voters at large (he will always have his fans) and he's just not good enough to win it. I hope we get to see some more hip-hop or locking from him, though. He's awesome at that.

I actually can't predict the remaining girls .. Jeanine may make it on Phillips voting alone, but I don't think she is the strongest dancer out there by far. That leaves 2 spots filled by either Randi, Karla, Kayla or Caitlan.

The guys may be easier as I think that Kūpono (the worst dancer left) and Jason are looking at early exits. That puts both Caitlan & Kayla at risk on the girls side (despite the fawning).

#8 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

Nice analysis, Doug. Asuka, as a ballroom dancer used to having a partner, would always have a terrible time with a solo, and she was clearly the worst last night simply for lack of variety in her routine. The same thing bit Max last week.

I really had thought Jason would do well in this competition, but fear or nerves or whatever it is doesn't help him at all. He's fading in my mind after a strong start, and I hope he can turn it around.

At this point, I think Kayla will have to have a major screw-up or injury to leave soon.

Well, I guess we'll see next week. :D

#9 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

The guys may be easier as I think that Kūpono (the worst dancer left) and Jason are looking at early exits. That puts both Caitlan & Kayla at risk on the girls side (despite the fawning).

As long at Caitlan and Kayla keep doing as well as they have done individually, the judges will save them. Once we get to the top ten dancers, then we vote individually anyway, so it will be the true test. Caitlan, Kayla and Melissa are the top 3 girls to me right now.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

I'm just getting started on watching tonight's show, and I thought Nigel had a good take on the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson showing the positive aspects of their lives and what they left us. What a weird day! I think we all realized that Farrah wouldn't last long, but it was actually a shock first that MJ suffered cardiac arrest and then that he was gone. RIP and thanks for the years of enjoyment you all gave me.

Nice tribute by Nigel. He even-handedly complimented all three. Well done.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see Phillip going home as soon as he makes the bottom three?

I think the judges got it right last night - considering that Phillip yet again dodged a bullet.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else see Phillip going home as soon as he makes the bottom three?

I think the judges got it right last night - considering that Phillip yet again dodged a bullet.

To me, Phillip is the worst dancer there, so I hope he goes when he hits bottom three, but he is good in his style. It may depend more on how the others dance to save themselves--well, I hope!

I can't fault the judges last night either. I'm looking forward to the pairing of Vittolio and Karla.

#12 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

I'm looking forward to the pairing of Vittolio and Karla.

Me too as I think each should help the other making the combination greater than the sum of the parts.

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

Agree with both of you on Karla and Vitolio. I hope something clicks.

I don't want to take anything away from Phillip. In his style, he rocks and probably holds the crown. But it's repeated each week that this is not a competition for one style only.

Phillip so far has not shown that he is versatile enough to take it home. He looks uncomfortable ... deer-in-headlight-ish, even. That not only hurts him, but Jeanine, too. If I were Tyce, I'd be pretty upset to see my fine work going to waste. If I were Jeanine, I'd resent playing the second fiddle.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

To me, Phillip is the worst dancer there, so I hope he goes when he hits bottom three, but he is good in his style. It may depend more on how the others dance to save themselves--well, I hope!

I can't fault the judges last night either. I'm looking forward to the pairing of Vittolio and Karla.

I think Phillp's fate, should he end up in the bottom 3, is how bad was his performance that landed him there.

He is, to me, another Twitch. He's got a good personality, he's really likable, and he's working his butt off, only to come up a "little short". He's dancing dances he's never really done before, and doing an admirable job. Not great, but he's been alright.

If he goes out and has a good week, but lands in the bottom 3 because other dancers knocked it out of the ballpark, then he might be saved. If he continues to be just a step behind the rest of the pack, he'll get his ticket home soon enough.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

I think Phillp's fate, should he end up in the bottom 3, is how bad was his performance that landed him there.

He is, to me, another Twitch. He's got a good personality, he's really likable, and he's working his butt off, only to come up a "little short". He's dancing dances he's never really done before, and doing an admirable job. Not great, but he's been alright.

If he goes out and has a good week, but lands in the bottom 3 because other dancers knocked it out of the ballpark, then he might be saved. If he continues to be just a step behind the rest of the pack, he'll get his ticket home soon enough.

I don't see a Twitch. Don't forget, Twitch almost took the whole thing. Phillip is IMO nowheres near Twitch in ability or personality. I'd go as far as to say that compared to Twitch, Phillip is sullen, boring and lacks Twitch's sense of humor.

I'll grant you that he may be working his butt off, but if you don't have it, you just don't have it, no matter how hard you try. By this time on Season 4, Twitchington was the talk of the show, with Joshua a bit behind.

I don't see Phillip near the top, not then, not now, and I doubt he'll see the end of the season as a competitor.

IMHO, of course.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

I don't see a Twitch. Don't forget, Twitch almost took the whole thing. Phillip is IMO nowheres near Twitch in ability or personality. I'd go as far as to say that compared to Twitch, Phillip is sullen, boring and lacks Twitch's sense of humor.

I'll grant you that he may be working his butt off, but if you don't have it, you just don't have it, no matter how hard you try. By this time on Season 4, Twitchington was the talk of the show, with Joshua a bit behind.

I don't see Phillip near the top, not then, not now, and I doubt he'll see the end of the season as a competitor.

IMHO, of course.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.... it's just that your's is wrong. ;)

On a serious note....

I would disagree with you that Phillip is sullen and boring. He absolutely doesn't have personality to the extent that Twitch does, but I think he's got a personality there, and I really enjoy him.

I also think that Twitchington, probably more than any other couple I've seen in the seasons that Mrs. Sharkie and I have watched, benefitted from a pairing in which the couple was far better than either of the individuals. If Twitchington hadn't been paired originally, I think that Twitch doesn't even sniff the end of the show. He had, IMO, serious flaws in his dancing. I was (am) one of Twitch's biggest fans. He's seriously brilliant at what he did, but I think he made it to the end on personality, and not because he was the 2nd best dancer on last season.

That's where the comparison to Phillip comes in. I 100% agree with you that he's not near the top as a dancer. Phillip won't see the end of the show as a competitor.

But... if he finds himself in the bottom 3 after a week in which he "brought it", I think the judges will save him. I think they appreciate his personality, and I think that America does as well, and that will carry him for a while.

If he finds himself in the bottom 3 after another average performance, then the judges will probably let him go.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#17 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.... it's just that your's is wrong. ;)

On a serious note....

I would disagree with you that Phillip is sullen and boring. He absolutely doesn't have personality to the extent that Twitch does, but I think he's got a personality there, and I really enjoy him.

I also think that Twitchington, probably more than any other couple I've seen in the seasons that Mrs. Sharkie and I have watched, benefitted from a pairing in which the couple was far better than either of the individuals. If Twitchington hadn't been paired originally, I think that Twitch doesn't even sniff the end of the show. He had, IMO, serious flaws in his dancing. I was (am) one of Twitch's biggest fans. He's seriously brilliant at what he did, but I think he made it to the end on personality, and not because he was the 2nd best dancer on last season.

That's where the comparison to Phillip comes in. I 100% agree with you that he's not near the top as a dancer. Phillip won't see the end of the show as a competitor.

But... if he finds himself in the bottom 3 after a week in which he "brought it", I think the judges will save him. I think they appreciate his personality, and I think that America does as well, and that will carry him for a while.

If he finds himself in the bottom 3 after another average performance, then the judges will probably let him go.

Gosh, I've been wrong so often, I've lost count. :P

Well thought out comments, Sharkie. Thank you.

Please don't get me wrong. I happen to like Phillip very much, but I have this aching feeling at the back of my neck that screams Producer's plant.

Like I said, I like the guy a lot. He's very nimble and can do steps and moves I've never seen before. The guy is trully gifted.

What I don't do is compare him to Twitch. They are galaxies apart in talent, charisma, and most importantly, adaptability. It takes these traits to be able to see, appreciate and mold your style(s) to the sheer number of dancing disciplines out there.

I see a fellow going into week 4 or 5 that has yet to convince me that he can emulate or command any style other than his own. And perhaps that's his own fault - he being so damned good at what he normally does.

Twitch, on the other hand, seemed to simplisticaly adapt to any style, any dictate for grace, any demand for expression or physical prowess. And he did it week one.

I hold great hopes for Phillip. Unlike you though, I see little probability that he will satisfy them. I am of the opinion that his placement was contrived. I'm probaly wrong on this too, but when you're on a roll ...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#18 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:44 PM

I absolutely agree that Phillip has personality. It's quirkly, kinda in the way that Mary is quirky, but I'm not sure that he could do a Mary Dance.

I also think that Twitchington, probably more than any other couple I've seen in the seasons that Mrs. Sharkie and I have watched, benefitted from a pairing in which the couple was far better than either of the individuals. If Twitchington hadn't been paired originally, I think that Twitch doesn't even sniff the end of the show. He had, IMO, serious flaws in his dancing.

Twitch may have benefited, but Joshua and Katee probably benefited more than anyone else from an early pairing. Twitch was pretty good and really hit it on a number of the dances. What I see from Phillip is someone trying and doing a really good job, but someone obviously not quite there (yet). I have no doubt that Phillip will be able to make a career of this .. It really is in his blood from what I can see. Still, the technical side is not quite there. It's very good that he is one year stronger from when we first saw him .. One year more and he'll be significantly better, still. The thing with Phillip is that he really does have growth potential, but if he wins this race, it will not be for his dancing, it will be fore his posse.

#19 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:45 PM

I hold great hopes for Phillip. Unlike you though, I see little probability that he will satisfy them. I am of the opinion that his placement was contrived. I'm probaly wrong on this too, but when you're on a roll ...

I have zero problem with this, but I, too, believe that Phillip's placement is 100% contrived.

#20 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:38 AM

Twitch may have benefited, but Joshua and Katee probably benefited more than anyone else from an early pairing. Twitch was pretty good and really hit it on a number of the dances. What I see from Phillip is someone trying and doing a really good job, but someone obviously not quite there (yet). I have no doubt that Phillip will be able to make a career of this .. It really is in his blood from what I can see. Still, the technical side is not quite there. It's very good that he is one year stronger from when we first saw him .. One year more and he'll be significantly better, still. The thing with Phillip is that he really does have growth potential, but if he wins this race, it will not be for his dancing, it will be fore his posse.

Joshua and Katee was certainly a good pairing. But I think they very well may have been the two best dancers last season. Their pairing was good because they were both very good dancers, and they would have progressed far in the show even if they had different partners, IMO

If Twitch hadn't drawn Kerrington, I'm not sure he would have been around at the end. I thought that many of his flaws happened to be Kerrington's strengths (and vice versa), and if either of them had drawn a partner with whom they shared flaws, they probably would have found themselves in troubler earlier than they did.

Or, maybe not. I'm no expert, so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I think Twitchington benefitted from their paring more than Joshua and Katee did.

spam firewall