Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So You Think You Can Dance (Top 16)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Caitlan & Jason (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

2. Melissa & Ade (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Randi & Evan (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Jeanine & Phillip (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

5. Kayla & Kūpono (1 votes [5.00%])

6. Karla & Jonathan (1 votes [5.00%])

7. Asuka & Vitolio (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Janette & Brandon (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote

#21 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

I have zero problem with this, but I, too, believe that Phillip's placement is 100% contrived.

I agree, and like you, I don't have a problem with it.

They have to balance good dancing with good TV, and I think Phillip, with his quirkiness, as well as with his story (making it last year and then falling ill and not being able to continue and then coming back triumphant this year) makes for good TV. And, if he can step it up a little bit, maybe he can add to the good dancing.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

I too think Phillip can make a career of dancing. I mean, isn't that what he is now - a street dancer?

Like I said previously, I like Phillip a lot. I just don't go as far as to make the comparison with Twitch. I think he is who he is, strengths and weaknesses and all. I don't think he can take the top prize, but when this is over, he will remain a household name.

In general, I don't give any street dancer a ghost of a chance this season. If we can agree that Phillip is a ratings plant of sorts, then maybe we can also agree that the procucers will not embarass the other dancing disciplines by crowning back-to-back street dancers. Season 6 or 7 maybe, but not 5.

As always, it's just an opinion. :D

Edited by Henry, 29 June 2009 - 12:40 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#23 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Interesting comments to read and think back to the prior season. To me, Twitch seemed to already be a front-runner right after Vegas--primarily for his personality and staunch support from his previous years' auditions. I don't think I had thought so much about the help his pairing gave him, which it did, but at the time he just seemed to have such great audience support, regardless of how he danced, that I knew he could win.

I don't know whether Phillip has Twitch's level of support, though his fan base clearly kept him from the bottom three the first week when he was really bad. While true that Phillip "hasn't done the dances before," he could have taken classes like Twitch did. The excuse that a dancer has never done that style before works well when they succeed with a dance, but holds no water for me if they flop--particularly when the choreographers all tweak the dances for the individuals.

You can't help having some favorites early, based on lots of criteria, but what I perceive as dancing well makes me love a dancer. :)

#24 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

Interesting comments to read and think back to the prior season. To me, Twitch seemed to already be a front-runner right after Vegas--primarily for his personality and staunch support from his previous years' auditions. I don't think I had thought so much about the help his pairing gave him, which it did, but at the time he just seemed to have such great audience support, regardless of how he danced, that I knew he could win.

I don't know whether Phillip has Twitch's level of support, though his fan base clearly kept him from the bottom three the first week when he was really bad. While true that Phillip "hasn't done the dances before," he could have taken classes like Twitch did. The excuse that a dancer has never done that style before works well when they succeed with a dance, but holds no water for me if they flop--particularly when the choreographers all tweak the dances for the individuals.

You can't help having some favorites early, based on lots of criteria, but what I perceive as dancing well makes me love a dancer. :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think he has the support base that Twitch had. What he does have is a very loyal and forgiving bunch of fans. I'm thinking that after each week's lecturing by Nigel, his fans are saying "wait another week".

In the meantime, Phillip is going through the motions ever less sure of himself with each subsequent week of competition. Unless he snaps out of it soon, I'm afraid he's going to be the cause of his own elimination.

Personally, I hope he can break out some way. I honestly doubt he can win but, hey, neither did Twitch. Winning ain't everything.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#25 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't think he has the support base that Twitch had.

I don't think so either, but it's not like I haven't been wrong before. :)

I just saw this article at http://www.msnbc.msn...ent-reality_tv/ on Mary Murphy as a judge, calling her the best female judge on a reality show. We all know how WE feel about her. :D

#26 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

I don't think so either, but it's not like I haven't been wrong before. :)

I just saw this article at http://www.msnbc.msn...ent-reality_tv/ on Mary Murphy as a judge, calling her the best female judge on a reality show. We all know how WE feel about her. :D

She reminds me a bit of Paul Lynde from the original Hollywood Squares sans the quips - don't ask me why, she just does. :eek2:

I see that the article agrees that Toni is a dead body waiting for a funeral. :lol:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

She reminds me a bit of Paul Lynde from the original Hollywood Squares sans the quips - don't ask me why, she just does. :eek2:

I see that the article agrees that Toni is a dead body waiting for a funeral. :lol:

Mary definitely thinks she's the life of the party, but she's so loud!! I hadn't thought of her likeness to Paul Lynde, but I can see your point. She does lots of broad facial expressions like Lynde did.

Toni acts like this is life or death, not an entertainment show. It's nice she takes her gig as judge seriously, but sheesh. :rolleyes: I know others here have said much like in the article. :D

#28 OFFLINE   nickfrye

nickfrye

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Too bad I haven't seen much of it this season.., I'm hoping they compile the best performances in SYTYCD and release it on DVD or Blu.. :grin: Posted Image

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,260 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Mary definitely thinks she's the life of the party, but she's so loud!! I hadn't thought of her likeness to Paul Lynde, but I can see your point. She does lots of broad facial expressions like Lynde did.

Toni acts like this is life or death, not an entertainment show. It's nice she takes her gig as judge seriously, but sheesh. :rolleyes: I know others here have said much like in the article. :D

Body English, maybe that's it. :)

I guess I shouldn't make fun of Toni. She seems dedicated to her art - can't fault someone for that. :nono:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:55 AM

Folks, lets move on to this week's thread. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...