Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Official "More Local HD in Q3 2009" thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Please use this thread to discuss your wishes for upcoming local HD launches.

If this thread goes off topic it will be closed and folded into the National HD thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:51 AM

Please commence!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Here's hoping for PBS in the Richmond DMA!
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

#4 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,060 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

I'm waiting/hoping for PBS, CW and MNT in Nashville. We have a second whole transponder with four "placeholder" channels for channels 8, 22, 30 and 58. They've been there since like early November and still nothin'. :(

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

WFMZ in Allentown, PA (ind.) would be a great addition.

I get it OTA in HD, but it'd be great to add it to D*.

#6 OFFLINE   adamspt2

adamspt2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Anything local, HD in Lexington, KY.

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA market

I've been waiting for WLYH 15.1 (CW) and WITF 33.1 (PBS) for over 3 years. We currently only have ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC.

According to my contact at WITF, they will again be showing HD programming later this month.

PCN (Pa Cable Network) would also be nice, but I don't think it will ever happen on D*.

Edited by n3ntj, 01 July 2009 - 08:49 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

Do we have any idea if Erie, PA will be getting local channels from D* anytime soon? E* has had them for several years.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

We have local PBS(WTCI) and CW(WFLI) for Chattanooga, but they are both center cut and then stretched. They both broadcast in HD and Comcast carries both in HD and all the sub-channels of PBS, but Directv totally butchers the picture. I really hate stretched, I'd much rather have the correct aspect ratio, even if it's 4:3.

#10 OFFLINE   DMG

DMG

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:04 AM

Despite being ranked considerably higher than many markets that already have at least some HD locals, we in the Monterey Bay Area are still waiting for any. It is really my only major gripe with DirecTV, so much so that once we have them I'd see no reason to move to cable again.

I'm praying that D12 brings HD locals to us. Our SD locals are horrible! Being in a relatively small market means they compress the hell out of the signal making what would otherwise pale in comparison to HD even worse.

I got a tease recently when I was scheduling season pass on the local PBS channel 25. Instead of recording channel 25, it recorded channel 25-1. When I saw that my heart jumped but no there was no HD PBS and yes I got no recording whatsoever.

#11 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

WB for Scranton,Wilkes Barre PA DMA would be great.

#12 OFFLINE   flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

I guess this is just a fresh start for the wish list! But while we're wishing, let's wish for Columbia, SC to get HD locals. Before football season. So that when I go to games and set up the dish, that I get all of the major network games in HD too.

This is important.

#13 OFFLINE   Jeigh

Jeigh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=393516

Posted Image
DIRECTV to Offer HD Local Channels in 133 Markets
Roll Out of Seven New HD Markets to Begin Later This Summer; More Than 91 Percent of U.S. TV Homes Will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 01, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's No. 1 satellite television service, continues to strengthen its HD presence with the addition of seven new HD local channel markets, providing local HD broadcast channels in 133 cities, representing more than 91 percent of U.S. TV households.

DIRECTV will begin the roll-out of the new HD local markets later this summer. The new markets include: Charleston-Huntington, W. Va.; Columbia, S.C.; Huntsville-Decatur, Ala.; Jackson, Miss.; Lexington, Ky.; Roanoke-Lynchburg, Va.; and Shreveport, La. For more launch details visit www.directv.com/hdlocals.

"Offering our customers the most compelling HD programming lineup available continues to be a top priority for us," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "We understand the importance local programming in HD plays in the overall television viewing experience for our customers and we will continue to extend our HD leadership with more national and local HD channels next year."

DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - where available and authorized, to customers who subscribe to any CHOICE® programming package that offers local channels. DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $10 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

Customers should visit directv.com to learn more about the full complement of DIRECTV's HD programming lineup including existing channels, new channels, details on equipment required for the new DIRECTV HD services and updates on when the new markets will launch.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTV), the nation's No. 1 satellite television service, presents the finest television experience available to more than 18 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed all national cable companies for nine years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683

Copyright Business Wire 2009

#14 OFFLINE   Jeigh

Jeigh

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

Anything local, HD in Lexington, KY.

I guess this is just a fresh start for the wish list! But while we're wishing, let's wish for Columbia, SC to get HD locals. Before football season. So that when I go to games and set up the dish, that I get all of the major network games in HD too.

This is important.

Looks like you'll both get your wish sometime this summer.

#15 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,060 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=393516

Well, that's all well and good but when you click on the link in the press release, it says all those markets are coming Q2 2009. I think that ended yesterday. :grin:

(It does say "Subject to change" however. :P)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#16 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

OTA works well for me as I'm relatively close to the transmitter farm but it sure would be nice to get networks other than the big 4 in HD over the satellite. Only have two DVRs with OTA tuners.

Similar to LameLefty's situation, we have had "placeholder" channels for months for 13-1 PBS (OETA), 34-1 CW (KOCB), and 43-1 MNTV (KAUT).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#17 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Hey, that's more news than I had. It is at least nice to be listed.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#18 OFFLINE   jared52

jared52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

Huntsville, AL - FINALLY!!

#19 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Columbia, SC!!!

And Huntsville, AL!

I'm moving to Huntsville later this month!!

Still sucks that it won't be until September...but, I wont' complain for too much longer...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#20 OFFLINE   tick221

tick221

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:48 PM