Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baeball: What the heck is a hold?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:03 AM

What the heck is a hold?
Anyone have the official baseball definition of a 'hold'?
Before I thought the relievers who came in before the closer came in to get the save got holds.

Here's an example
Russ Ortiz pitches 7 innings, leaves with a 3-run lead for the Giants. Felix Rodriguez comes in and pitches a scoreless 8th. Nen comes in and pitches a scoreless 9th.

Ortiz gets the win.
Nen gets the save.
FRod gets the hold.

On (4/07/02), the Mets pitchers got holds for pitching in a mets loss!

So now i'm stumped, I've been meaning to ask about this.
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 08:07 AM

John, the "hold" isn't an official statistic (yet), so different statistics compilers are using different definitions. But the most common one is that a hold is awarded to a reliever who enters the game eligible to earn a save and leaves the game with his team's lead still intact, without having squandered his team's lead. It's sort of "savus interruptus," if you will.

Holds didn't start appearing until we needed something for arbitration cases for middle relievers, who were hard to differentiate since they had no cumulative statistic to support their role. So, like everything else in baseball, you can blame "holds" on salaries. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:06 AM

This whole area is oddd. Since you only arn a save if the tying run is on deck some relievers have been acused of allowing runners or even runs just to get the statristic----and sometimes losing the game.
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#4 OFFLINE   Maniacal1

Maniacal1

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 444 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 09:37 AM

Geronimo, a reliever can never work his way into a save situation. It is wholly based on the situation when the reliever enters the game. His making the situation worse may set up a save situation for a succeeding pitcher, but never for himself.

#5 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 10:13 AM

I apologize for my misstatement. Silly me.:o
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#6 OFFLINE   John Corn

John Corn

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 10:27 AM

Thanks again Maniacal, Your a true baseball guru. :)
In my mind this morning when I made the post, thats the way I was trying to explain it to myself......lol. Although as you can read by my post I was challenging the "hold" concept. :)

Geronimo, I know exactly what you mean.
I can see where this is a salary made statistic. :)
Have a Great Day! :) :flag:

spam firewall