So here's my situation:
- I've been a CATV subscriber for years, so no matter which service I go to, it'll be an upgrade.
- Regardless of which service I pick I'll likely be looking at the ~200 channel packages (ChoiceXtra for DirecTV, or the silver package for Dish)
- I have both HDTV and SDTV (2 of each).
- I want a good DVR with multi-tunner capability
- I'm not a huge sports nut. I enjoy college sports, but generally don't see a need for any premium sports channels
- I like getting movies, but wont likely subscribe to premiums such as HBO,Cinemax, etc.
- If possible, Id really prefer to only have one dish.
So, now on to my analysis- please confirm or deny my thoughts.
1) It appears that DISH has the most channels (HD and SD) given the fact that Im looking in the ~200 channel range. Source: DishComparison dot com
2) Non Promo Pricing:
Dish: Silver=$48, HD=$10, Locals+DVR=$10 => $68/mo + any extra receiver fee
DirecTV: ChoiceXtra+HD=$70, DVR=$5 => $75/mo + extra receiver fee
*Since I'm thinking 2HD+2SD, I believe I could do 2 receivers with Dish, and need 4 with DirecTV? resulting in higher fees for receiver lease through DirecTV?
3) Am I correct in saying that only DirecTV can do single sat and still get HD and locals?
4) The consensus seems to be that Dish customer service is $#!^.
5) DirecTV has neat apps like weather, etc.
6) The DVR interface on Dish is better (so I've herd - dont know first hand)
7) With DISH I could bump up to the 250+ channel package for just $10 more, and get stars free in the process - to bump up to the next package in DirecTV is like $45 more, and still no Stars.
So my delima:
Go DirecTV and only need 1 dish, get good customer service, and slightly better HD quality, but pay for 4 receivers, plus about $12/mo more in base service
Go with Dish, and save a couple hundred dollars/year but require 2 dishes, and give up good customer service, etc.
What am I missing, are there any money saving tips I'm overlooking (not counting introductory pricing). I think I would prefer going with DirecTV if it wasn't for the fact that it looks like it will end up costing me quite a bit more for what I want.
Feedback and suggestions are appreciated. No flame-war please!