Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2957 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

Here's a link that to a post that just popped up on the Working eSATA Setups thread. Post #1039.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   HGS

HGS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

I bought the Western Digital My DVR from Amazon for $129 with free shipping. It uses the model WDG1S10000 1TB drive. I also bought a SIIG esata cable after reading of a few problems with the cable included with the drive.

Installation on my HR20-700 was simple and the unit is totally silent (no fan) and unobtrusive.

#183 OFFLINE   jct9841

jct9841

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

Went for the Seagate Showcase 500G (on sale at Seagate for $89 with shipping included). Installed with no problems. Very quiet compared to the HR20-700 and more recording room than I'll ever need.

JT

#184 OFFLINE   jct9841

jct9841

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Showcase 500G just too loud for bedroom (fan noise). I'm returning and going to try the WD.

Oh Well...

#185 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

I had major problems with the recommended Seagate drive and ended up buying the recommended WD drive and it has worked flawlessly and is roughly 50% full now.

My friend, who has the same DVR as myself (HR22) went out and purchased the same recommended Seagate drive against my recommendations (because he couldn't find the WD at a local store) and now he, too, is having problems.

I thought my problem was just a bad drive (unlucky), but after seeing him experience the exact same thing as me (works fine at first, then starts to stutter, freeze and losing all recordings after a few days), I'm pretty convinced that the recommended Seagate just doesn't work well with the HR22 (as others have mentioned), but the WD works fine.

Edited by Bambler, 10 October 2009 - 12:01 PM.

#186 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

I had major problems with the recommended Seagate drive and ended up buying the recommended WD drive and it has worked flawlessly and is roughly 50% full now.

My friend, who has the same DVR as myself (HR22) went out and purchased the same recommended Seagate drive against my recommendations (because he couldn't find the WD at a local store) and now he, too, is having problems.

I thought my problem was just a bad drive (unlucky), but after seeing him experience the exact same thing as me (works fine at first, then starts to stutter, freeze and losing all recordings after a few days), I'm pretty convinced that the recommended Seagate just doesn't work well with the HR22 (as others have mentioned), but the WD works fine.

Thanks for the note .. I'll pass this information on to DIRECTV.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#187 OFFLINE   tc3400

tc3400

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

Trying to get this external WD drive to work with my HR100-700. Plug and unplug power to the receiver multiple times and it will not sync up. Has anyone got this to work, its a 1 tb unit.

#188 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

Trying to get this external WD drive to work with my HR100-700. Plug and unplug power to the receiver multiple times and it will not sync up. Has anyone got this to work, its a 1 tb unit.

My Books do not work with the HR line of receivers. You have to buy the My DVR Expander version...

http://www.wdc.com/e...asp?driveid=609

This has been pretty well documented here on this site, so I'm surprised you didnt run across it b4 buying that particular model.

#189 OFFLINE   dlambermont

dlambermont

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

I've been using a FAP 750GB drive with my HR20-700 pretty much since the day the functionality became available (almost 3 years). It has worked great, but I am now getting periodic audio dropouts, picture stuttering, artifacts... I'm guessing I'm at the end of the FAP's useful life.

I know there is no way to copy recordings to be viewed on a different D* box, but can I use some kind of disk copy utility to copy them to a drive to be viewed on the SAME box? Read through this entire thread, didn't see whether anyone had ever tried it.

#190 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

I've been using a FAP 750GB drive with my HR20-700 pretty much since the day the functionality became available (almost 3 years). It has worked great, but I am now getting periodic audio dropouts, picture stuttering, artifacts... I'm guessing I'm at the end of the FAP's useful life.

I know there is no way to copy recordings to be viewed on a different D* box, but can I use some kind of disk copy utility to copy them to a drive to be viewed on the SAME box? Read through this entire thread, didn't see whether anyone had ever tried it.

There is a method to copy the programming somewhere .. I haven't tried it nor do I know off hand where the thread is located.

However, you may want to run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

• reboot STB via Menu -> Parental, Fav's & Setup -> System Setup -> Reset -> Restart Receiver
  • when they see "Running receiver self-check" press select
  • You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
  • select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Surface Test
Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#191 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

There is a thread devoted to just copying the contents form one drive to another, it doesnt matter whether it was the internal drive or an external drive, the method is the same, except for having to get the drive out of your DVR if its the internal drive.

#192 OFFLINE   dlambermont

dlambermont

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Thanks! I'll give that a try, nothing to lose. In the meantime, if anyone can point me to the instructions for copying programming to a new drive, that would be great.

#193 OFFLINE   dlambermont

dlambermont

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ah - thanks! Pulled the trigger too soon on the last response...

#194 OFFLINE   tlopes

tlopes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

I've also had an HR20-700 with Seagate FA Pro 750GB for years and it has worked reasonably well with occasional audio problems. About 4 months ago, I replaced it with an Antec MX-1 and Seagate 1.5TB internal. It also had occasional hiccups in the audio and video stutter, but it only happened once an hour or so and was similar to the FAP 750 in performance. Now with the more recent CE's I've tried, the audio/video stutter is almost unbearable. I ran the DTV diagnostics to scan the external disk and it PASSED. I then switched to the internal drive and everything is perfect, so my issue is isolated to the eSata path (interface, cable, enclosure, drive).

I'm thinking it's possible that DTV has pushed the limits of the box with software releases so much that it has a hard time working correctly from an external drive. It got especially bad after this latest national release 0x368. It now stutters the audio every few seconds to once a minute or so and it's unbearable to watch. When I replay the bad areas, half of the time it replays correctly and the other times it repeats the stutter. This indicates to me that the stutter happens when reading or writing to the disk. As expected, It never stutters when watching live TV.

I'm still testing to see if I should replace the Seagate 1.5, the eSata cable, the Antec enclosure, or realize that the newer software just doesn't work well via an eSata connected drive.

Any advice on this? Many thanks.

Edited by tlopes, 28 October 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#195 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

I've also had an HR20-700 with Seagate FA Pro 750GB for years and it has worked reasonably well with occasional audio problems. About 4 months ago, I replaced it with an Antec MX-1 and Seagate 1.5TB internal. It also had occasional hiccups in the audio and video stutter, but it only happened once an hour or so and was similar to the FAP 750 in performance. Now with the more recent CE's I've tried, the audio/video stutter is almost unbearable. I ran the DTV diagnostics to scan the external disk and it PASSED. I then switched to the internal drive and everything is perfect, so my issue is isolated to the eSata path (interface, cable, enclosure, drive).

I'm thinking it's possible that DTV has pushed the limits of the box with software releases so much that it has a hard time working correctly from an external drive. It got especially bad after this latest national release 0x368. It now stutters the audio every few seconds to once a minute or so and it's unbearable to watch. When I replay the bad areas, half of the time it replays correctly and the other times it repeats the stutter. This indicates to me that the stutter happens when reading or writing to the disk. As expected, It never stutters when watching live TV.

I'm still testing to see if I should replace the Seagate 1.5, the eSata cable, the Antec enclosure, or realize that the newer software just doesn't work well via an eSata connected drive.

All six of my 20-700s are running with Seagate 1.5 drives, three external, three internal (I own those three), I have two Xtremes and one Antec MX-1 for the externals. I had those issues you speak of after the DLB NR, but they cleared up and hopefully, the NR that downloaded last night will put an end to them completely.

Rich

#196 OFFLINE   tlopes

tlopes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

After more testing, I am very confused about this audio dropout issue. I switched to the internal drive and thought the problem had cleared up, but last night again I had audio dropouts and video pixelation both on recording and playback. Not quite as bad as what I had seen on the external Seagate 1.5, but bad enough to be a problem.

I suppose I'll have a look at the CE tonight and see if there are any notes about fixing this issue. Looks like I have to take this to a different forum as it's not just the external disk.

#197 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

After more testing, I am very confused about this audio dropout issue. I switched to the internal drive and thought the problem had cleared up, but last night again I had audio dropouts and video pixelation both on recording and playback. Not quite as bad as what I had seen on the external Seagate 1.5, but bad enough to be a problem.

I suppose I'll have a look at the CE tonight and see if there are any notes about fixing this issue. Looks like I have to take this to a different forum as it's not just the external disk.

If you're running the DLB NR, that's the problem. Haven't seen those issues since the new NR downloaded, but all I've done is watch parts of last night's ball game on two HRs. No problems on the games.

Rich

#198 OFFLINE   tlopes

tlopes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

If you're running the DLB NR, that's the problem. Haven't seen those issues since the new NR downloaded, but all I've done is watch parts of last night's ball game on two HRs. No problems on the games.

Rich

Rich, I have tried DLB, but that was a couple weeks ago and I haven't activated it since. Can that cause recurring problems even though it's not regularly used?

Reading in the DirecTV tech support forums, there is a thread called Noisy HD.
http://forums.direct...PostID=10601135

This thread and others imply that the problem is typically only affecting HR20-700 models. I wouldn't mind swapping and getting a newer model, but I hate to lose all my recordings and start from scratch. Also, I don't want to lose my OTA tuners in the 20-700. But on the other hand, this audio issue is bugging me as well.

#199 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

Rich, I have tried DLB, but that was a couple weeks ago and I haven't activated it since. Can that cause recurring problems even though it's not regularly used?

Reading in the DirecTV tech support forums, there is a thread called Noisy HD.
http://forums.direct...PostID=10601135

This thread and others imply that the problem is typically only affecting HR20-700 models. I wouldn't mind swapping and getting a newer model, but I hate to lose all my recordings and start from scratch. Also, I don't want to lose my OTA tuners in the 20-700. But on the other hand, this audio issue is bugging me as well.

If you look here, there is a Loud Hard Drive? thread as well. This "noise" has nothing to do with any audio dropouts.

#200 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

Don't know.

You're not going to get a better DVR than your 20-700. I'll send you a PM with a work around.

Rich

spam firewall