Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#1981 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

You got it wrong.

Only gathering knowledge by yourself will benefit you.

[And your attitude is not right for your intention.]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1982 OFFLINE   MrFubar1961

MrFubar1961

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

You got it wrong.

No, actually, I did not get it wrong. I asked a relatively simple question in a forum that has a very specific purpose.

When you go into an auto parts store and say that your windshield wipers are no longer working, and you have the make, model and year of the car available, the person behind the counter doesn't tell you to go take a look around the store, nor does he tell you to go home and do some research. He has the requisite knowledge to say "You need a new wiper motor" and he looks up the part number, gets it, and sells it to the guy.

There are obviously quite a lot of people looking to expand their recording capacity. There are X receivers capable of taking an external drive. A list of those receivers, and hard drives that users here have found compatible, would be a big help to visitor of this forum. That list is not readily available. That's why I looked at the beginning, to see if the list was updated. It isn't. I looked through 40+ posts for a recent post. There wasn't one. That's when I posted to ask my question.

If you are looking to supplement your income by providing consulting services, you should consider stating this in plain English. There's nothing too shameful about it considering these economic times.

I shouldn't need to spend hours and hours researching a $150 decision. A $15,000 decision? Sure. Maybe even a $1,500 decision. But a $150 decision should require a simple answer.

You keep the answer to yourself, buddy. It's fine...if it makes you feel superior and proud, you go right ahead and puff out your chest. I've already ordered a drive. :grin:

#1983 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 598 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi all...great thread, but it'd be tough to go through almost 2,000 posts. Looked at the first post, see that it hasn't been updated, went through the last four pages...

I have an HR21-700. I'd like to go and buy an eSata external drive, so I'm looking for a recommendation for both a drive, and a place to buy. I've been a DirecTV customer for 13 years, and finally am opting for external storage. Woo hoo.

Thanks in advance for some assistance.

I have two HR21-700s, both have an Antec MX-1 disk enclosure and a Western Digital Caviar Black 750 G disk. I installed the two HR21s over 4 years ago with the Antec enclosure and WD disk and neither of them has ever given me any problems. The Antec MX-1 has a very quiet internal fan that keeps the disk very cool.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0987
DirecTV since 1997

#1984 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

I have two HR21-700s, both have an Antec MX-1 disk enclosure and a Western Digital Caviar Black 750 G disk. I installed the two HR21s over 4 years ago with the Antec enclosure and WD disk and neither of them has ever given me any problems. The Antec MX-1 has a very quiet internal fan that keeps the disk very cool.

As you see, Mr. Fubar1961, nothing changed in last four years.
That means reading and accruing your knowledge from the thread/forum would benefit you and lower your attitude.

Oh, you came to a library not to auto-parts store. So behave yourself, please.

#1985 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

No, actually, I did not get it wrong. I asked a relatively simple question in a forum that has a very specific purpose.

When you go into an auto parts store and say that your windshield wipers are no longer working, and you have the make, model and year of the car available, the person behind the counter doesn't tell you to go take a look around the store, nor does he tell you to go home and do some research. He has the requisite knowledge to say "You need a new wiper motor" and he looks up the part number, gets it, and sells it to the guy.

There are obviously quite a lot of people looking to expand their recording capacity. There are X receivers capable of taking an external drive. A list of those receivers, and hard drives that users here have found compatible, would be a big help to visitor of this forum. That list is not readily available. That's why I looked at the beginning, to see if the list was updated. It isn't. I looked through 40+ posts for a recent post. There wasn't one. That's when I posted to ask my question.

If you are looking to supplement your income by providing consulting services, you should consider stating this in plain English. There's nothing too shameful about it considering these economic times.

I shouldn't need to spend hours and hours researching a $150 decision. A $15,000 decision? Sure. Maybe even a $1,500 decision. But a $150 decision should require a simple answer.

You keep the answer to yourself, buddy. It's fine...if it makes you feel superior and proud, you go right ahead and puff out your chest. I've already ordered a drive. :grin:

I'll happily answer your questions. I'd suggest a 2TB HDD made by Western Digital and I'd put it in a Thermaltake docking station. The prices are kinda high for HDDs right now, but you can get a 2TB WD EARX for $129 at amazon.com. Follow this link.

Here's a link to the easiest external device, the Thermaltake docking station.

Got any other questions, ask and we'll answer you. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Rich

#1986 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

As you see, Mr. Fubar1961, nothing changed in last four years.
That means reading and accruing your knowledge from the thread/forum would benefit you and lower your attitude.

Oh, you came to a library not to auto-parts store. So behave yourself, please.

Peter, Peter, Peter. Must you?

Rich

#1987 OFFLINE   Pluvious

Pluvious

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

You got it wrong.

As a subscriber to this thread I was dismayed at your response to a simple question. But you even took it farther by continuing to make a new member unwelcome. You strike me as one of those people who will cut you off while driving and when I beep my horn, YOU get mad at me! :confused: :nono2: The whole point of these threads is to help each other out and taking a whole 2 mins to type out the answer isn't all that hard. You'd rather spend 10 mins being a hard ass. :rolleyes:

Welcome to my block list, you'll be lonely in there since I've never had to use it.

MrFubar1961
Rich's post with the link's is highly recommend by me and I have had that exact setup for a few years now. You can't go wrong with Amazon. Go for it.

#1988 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Peter, Peter, Peter. Must you?

Rich

OK, OK, OK ... I should ... Just can't sustain the pressure.

#1989 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

OK, OK, OK ... I should ... Just can't sustain the pressure.

It's never gonna stop. Who, in their right mind, would read these overly long threads? Chill out.

Rich

#1990 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

pSmith

Ya coulda answered his question faster than it took you to reply with your "read the whole thread" MO.

#1991 OFFLINE   MrFubar1961

MrFubar1961

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Got any other questions, ask and we'll answer you. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I can't PM...not enough posts yet. Couldn't even quote your post 'cause it had a URL in it. Heh. But I thank you very much for your advice. I had my order ready for something else, cancelled it, and ordered what you recommended. I have one of the Thermaltake thingies here in use for something else. I love it. So that was easy.

By the way...nice logo. I've been a Yankees fan for 40+ years...the days of Horace Clark and forward. Have had DirecTV for 13 years now so I can watch all those games and get the Yankee announcers. Nice to see another Yankee fan.

And thanks, all, for your kind words and support. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, just was looking for an answer, which I got. Mucho thanks.

#1992 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

It's never gonna stop. Who, in their right mind, would read these overly long threads? Chill out.

Rich

Ditto!!!!!

How ya doing, Rich?

Sometimes it's OK to help a guy out. You've always been a big help to me and my issues......and to many others. MUCH appreciated!

PSmith, not so much:rolleyes:

Fred

#1993 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'll happily answer your questions. I'd suggest a 2TB HDD made by Western Digital and I'd put it in a Thermaltake docking station. The prices are kinda high for HDDs right now, but you can get a 2TB WD EARX for $129 at amazon.com. Follow this link.

Here's a link to the easiest external device, the Thermaltake docking station.

Rich

Just a note on those docking stations. If you happen to get the dual bay version, only one bay will work(as expected). HOWEVER, for whatever reason, even with just the one drive in it, they do NOT seem to work with HR24's(at least not the -500 models I have). I have 2 HR24-500's and neither will boot with the dual dock attached(the single dock version works great). However they work fine(again with only one drive inserted) with the HR20's and the HR34. I have no idea why it won't boot on the HR24-500's.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#1994 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,901 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi all...great thread, but it'd be tough to go through almost 2,000 posts. Looked at the first post, see that it hasn't been updated, went through the last four pages...

I have an HR21-700. I'd like to go and buy an eSata external drive, so I'm looking for a recommendation for both a drive, and a place to buy. I've been a DirecTV customer for 13 years, and finally am opting for external storage. Woo hoo.

Thanks in advance for some assistance.

Your request is perfectly reasonable, so don't let the thread police get you down. Rich will help you (lots of experience) and if you need another data point, I'll help. Rich pointed me in the right direction a couple years ago, and his advice was sound.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#1995 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi Rich,

I can't PM...not enough posts yet. Couldn't even quote your post 'cause it had a URL in it. Heh. But I thank you very much for your advice. I had my order ready for something else, cancelled it, and ordered what you recommended. I have one of the Thermaltake thingies here in use for something else. I love it. So that was easy.

Make sure the Thermaltake thingee supports SATA drives.

By the way...nice logo. I've been a Yankees fan for 40+ years...the days of Horace Clark and forward. Have had DirecTV for 13 years now so I can watch all those games and get the Yankee announcers. Nice to see another Yankee fan.

Been a lot longer for me. I actually saw DiMaggio and Rizzuto play. Saw Mickey and Willie in their rookie years too. But, I'll never forget good old Horace. As for Yankees fans on the forum, there are plenty of us.

And thanks, all, for your kind words and support. Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, just was looking for an answer, which I got. Mucho thanks.

You're welcome. You just caught our resident curmudgeon on one of his bad days. He's usually more supportive.

Rich

#1996 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Ditto!!!!!

How ya doing, Rich?

Sometimes it's OK to help a guy out. You've always been a big help to me and my issues......and to many others. MUCH appreciated!

PSmith, not so much:rolleyes:

Fred

Doing good Fred. How you been?

Rich

#1997 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,363 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Just a note on those docking stations. If you happen to get the dual bay version, only one bay will work(as expected). HOWEVER, for whatever reason, even with just the one drive in it, they do NOT seem to work with HR24's(at least not the -500 models I have). I have 2 HR24-500's and neither will boot with the dual dock attached(the single dock version works great). However they work fine(again with only one drive inserted) with the HR20's and the HR34. I have no idea why it won't boot on the HR24-500's.

I've stayed away from the dual TTs. I just use the one bay model. I've had problems with my 24-500 and external devices. It's not the HDDs, it's not the TTs, they work fine with all my other HRs. I used them on 24-200s with no problems and I'm getting ready to put one on a 24-100 (I will post about that). I think it's just something with the 500s. I do like the 500s, tho.

Rich

#1998 OFFLINE   eddiesudz

eddiesudz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone tried this particular enclosure?

Macally G-S350SU

The price is right and looks pretty sharp!

Sorry for not having a clickable link. System wouldn't allow me to do it.

Thanks.

#1999 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone tried this particular enclosure?

Macally G-S350SU

The price is right and looks pretty sharp!

Sorry for not having a clickable link. System wouldn't allow me to do it.

Thanks.

You would be first one who will try. Don't forget to post your result here. Also add your DVR model.

#2000 OFFLINE   eddiesudz

eddiesudz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Will do! I'm ordering them up right now!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...