Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2912 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi all:

I have been running my HR 21-700 for about 2 years with antec enclosure and WD 500 HD with no issues... until today! I received the 0x368 update on 10/29 and decided to do a reboot today like I do after every other software update that comes through.

However, this time I lost all my recordings and series links!! :mad: After the update and before the reboot (5days) everything worked fine. Has anyone heard of this happening?? My first instinct is to think it was the update and subsequent reboot that caused this which NEVER happened before, not even the loss of series links..

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:40 PM

Hi all:

I have been running my HR 21-700 for about 2 years with antec enclosure and WD 500 HD with no issues... until today! I received the 0x368 update on 10/29 and decided to do a reboot today like I do after every other software update that comes through.

However, this time I lost all my recordings and series links!! :mad: After the update and before the reboot (5days) everything worked fine. Has anyone heard of this happening?? My first instinct is to think it was the update and subsequent reboot that caused this which NEVER happened before, not even the loss of series links..

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you absolutely sure you're still running on the ESATA and not the internal drive? That has never happened to me, ever, in over 3 years with the HR2x line. Losing all your recordings AND your series links makes me think your unit believes, for whatever reason, that your external drive is not connected.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#203 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

Are you absolutely sure you're still running on the ESATA and not the internal drive? That has never happened to me, ever, in over 3 years with the HR2x line. Losing all your recordings AND your series links makes me think your unit believes, for whatever reason, that your external drive is not connected.

I am pretty sure I am but if you wouldn't mind giving me the instructions to make sure I am on the external I would appreciate it..

BTW - I simply re-booted with the red button like I have on many occasions.. It almost seems like the external re-formatted when I did the re-boot.

#204 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

I am pretty sure I am but if you wouldn't mind giving me the instructions to make sure I am on the external I would appreciate it..

BTW - I simply re-booted with the red button like I have on many occasions.. It almost seems like the external re-formatted when I did the re-boot.

I'd suggest unplugging both eSATA & STB, verify eSATA connectors are snug, power on eSATA and wait 10-20 seconds, then plug in STB.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#205 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

I'd suggest unplugging both eSATA & STB, verify eSATA connectors are snug, power on eSATA and wait 10-20 seconds, then plug in STB.

I did that and everything is still gone. I know I am on the external drive because I saved an old recording on the internal so I can tell the difference if needed..

I just set-up 2 season passes and recorded 2 things to try and recreate the problem and when I did a "red button reboot" everything got wiped again and I got the same message from earlier. "Welcome to tvmail etc...."

As if I rebooted after the software upgrade. Do you have any suggestions? I am reluctant to set-up everything again and run the risk of losing programming.

#206 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

I did that and everything is still gone. I know I am on the external drive because I saved an old recording on the internal so I can tell the difference if needed..

I just set-up 2 season passes and recorded 2 things to try and recreate the problem and when I did a "red button reboot" everything got wiped again and I got the same message from earlier. "Welcome to tvmail etc...."

As if I rebooted after the software upgrade. Do you have any suggestions? I am reluctant to set-up everything again and run the risk of losing programming.

Stop using the red button and pull the power cords on both the eSATA and the HR. Then plug in the power cord of the eSATA and then plug in the HR. If you don't have your recordings back, they're probably gone.

If that doesn't work, buy another eSATA or HDD for the Antec at a place with a liberal return policy and see if that helps. I lost two eSATAs in the NR prior to the last one and had to listen to all this nonsense about the eSATAs being at fault and the NR couldn't have possibly had an adverse effect on the eSATAs and so forth.

Right. Both eSATAs worked perfectly the day before the "DLB NR" downloaded and immediately had problems. One had been running for 14 months or so without a problem (an expensive 2TB) and the other was in an Antec enclosure and was two months old. Never a problem until that terrible NR downloaded. And someone told me that my HDDs were ALL marginal because of the audio dropouts and video pixellations. Still got them on all ten of my HRs. Ten HRs, most with relatively new HDDs and my HDDs are all marginal. Watched the football game last night and had several pixellations on an HR with a brand new HDD. Marginal. My foot.

Got my statement in the mail and paid it electronically yesterday and there's nothing marginal about my money. That seems to work for D* pretty well. It amazes me how well the accounting department for D* works. Never a problem with my bill or the money I send them.

Oh well, enough of that rant. That NR might have wrecked your WD HDD. Don't know how long the warranty is for WD drives, but you might want to look into that. If you have to buy a new one, you might consider the Seagate Barracuda. They work well with the 21-700s.

Rich

#207 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

It does sound like you have lost everything on the external disk. These receivers can be a bit touchy about what kind of drive and/or external enclosure they connect to. If Doug’s suggestion doesn’t work then it’s unlikely you’ll see those recordings back. Sorry.

If you’re worried about using eSATA, let me say I’ve had one on my HR21-100 for a year and a half without a single issue. I wouldn’t hesitate to install or recommend one for any HR2x. I know that’s little consolation for your situation but keep in mind that it does work well in most systems. In my case I have a 750GB drive I took out of a Seagate FAP enclosure and installed it into an Antec MX-1. That drive didn’t work in Seagate’s enclosure but has been working for ≈18 months in the MX-1...odd but when you find something that works then run with it. :)

BTW, a red button reboot (RBR) should not be the first method of restarting your receiver. You should always do a menu restart if possible. Doing an RBR is like hitting the reset button on your computer. It will cycle the system regardless of what it’s trying to do at that moment. Try not to do an RBR unless you can’t get access to the menu from the remote and the front panel.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#208 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

Stop using the red button and pull the power cords on both the eSATA and the HR. Then plug in the power cord of the eSATA and then plug in the HR. If you don't have your recordings back, they're probably gone.

If that doesn't work, buy another eSATA or HDD for the Antec at a place with a liberal return policy and see if that helps. I lost two eSATAs in the NR prior to the last one and had to listen to all this nonsense about the eSATAs being at fault and the NR couldn't have possibly had an adverse effect on the eSATAs and so forth.

Right. Both eSATAs worked perfectly the day before the "DLB NR" downloaded and immediately had problems. One had been running for 14 months or so without a problem (an expensive 2TB) and the other was in an Antec enclosure and was two months old. Never a problem until that terrible NR downloaded. And someone told me that my HDDs were ALL marginal because of the audio dropouts and video pixellations. Still got them on all ten of my HRs. Ten HRs, most with relatively new HDDs and my HDDs are all marginal. Watched the football game last night and had several pixellations on an HR with a brand new HDD. Marginal. My foot.

Got my statement in the mail and paid it electronically yesterday and there's nothing marginal about my money. That seems to work for D* pretty well. It amazes me how well the accounting department for D* works. Never a problem with my bill or the money I send them.

Oh well, enough of that rant. That NR might have wrecked your WD HDD. Don't know how long the warranty is for WD drives, but you might want to look into that. If you have to buy a new one, you might consider the Seagate Barracuda. They work well with the 21-700s.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I did the cord pull etc and it looks like everything is lost...

I too agree and think it has to do with the NR as well... I spoke with D-TV engineers twice last night and told them that I been running my set-up for over two years (or close to it) without a hiccup until this NR.. I also told them I don't want to hear its the external because I re-created the problem each time I did a re-boot because both my recordings and series links etc were gone each time...

I reluctantly started adding back series links and started recording again. I am also reluctant on purchasing a new HD until I hear back from D-TV within 48 hours (from what they told me). Not sure what they will say but will see and I will report back.

#209 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

It does sound like you have lost everything on the external disk. These receivers can be a bit touchy about what kind of drive and/or external enclosure they connect to. If Doug’s suggestion doesn’t work then it’s unlikely you’ll see those recordings back. Sorry.

If you’re worried about using eSATA, let me say I’ve had one on my HR21-100 for a year and a half without a single issue. I wouldn’t hesitate to install or recommend one for any HR2x. I know that’s little consolation for your situation but keep in mind that it does work well in most systems. In my case I have a 750GB drive I took out of a Seagate FAP enclosure and installed it into an Antec MX-1. That drive didn’t work in Seagate’s enclosure but has been working for ≈18 months in the MX-1...odd but when you find something that works then run with it. :)

BTW, a red button reboot (RBR) should not be the first method of restarting your receiver. You should always do a menu restart if possible. Doing an RBR is like hitting the reset button on your computer. It will cycle the system regardless of what it’s trying to do at that moment. Try not to do an RBR unless you can’t get access to the menu from the remote and the front panel.

Mike

Thanks Mike.. The recordings are lost for sure.. I have been running my external for over 18 months with no issues and will continue to have one. I need and love the space... Hopefully this will not happen again (who knows).

Insofar as the red button, I have always used it after a NR with no issues until yesterday. I will make sure I no longer re-boot that way being that this happened as a result..

#210 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

Insofar as the red button, I have always used it after a NR with no issues until yesterday. I will make sure I no longer re-boot that way being that this happened as a result..

As an unrelated side note .. There is no reason to reset you receiver after a national release. DIRECTV downloads the new firmware, let's it boot up completely and then forces a restart once everything is done. So basically, the reset that you are doing has already been done for you automatically. There is no need to do it again.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#211 OFFLINE   usualsuspect

usualsuspect

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

As an unrelated side note .. There is no reason to reset you receiver after a national release. DIRECTV downloads the new firmware, let's it boot up completely and then forces a restart once everything is done. So basically, the reset that you are doing has already been done for you automatically. There is no need to do it again.

Thanks Doug..

#212 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Between the link below & WD My DVR expander which would be the better choice.

http://www.apricorn....pe=family&id=60

Never heard of this company before. I would love to hear some 'takes' on this drive.

WD site doesn't specify what RPMs their drive spins at. Is it 5400 or 7200?

Edited by texasmoose, 03 November 2009 - 05:51 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#213 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

I've also had an HR20-700 with Seagate FA Pro 750GB for years and it has worked reasonably well with occasional audio problems. ...
I'm thinking it's possible that DTV has pushed the limits of the box with software releases so much that it has a hard time working correctly from an external drive.

I've used a Seagate FAP 750GB with my HR20-700 since December 2007, and I always have the latest CE version. I've noticed no audio dropout problems.
Greg

#214 OFFLINE   FredZ

FredZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

I had a 1TB Apricorn DVR expander on my HR21-700 for a year and a half with no problems. Then this past summer it died and I had to replace it.

Never heard of this company before. I would love to hear some 'takes' on this drive.

#215 OFFLINE   lee78221

lee78221

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

Apricorn Launches DVR Expander 2TB for DIRECTV® Customers:

With Twice the Capacity of Other DVR Expansion Systems, Apricorn`s DVR Expander
Makes More Space for HDTV
POWAY, Calif.--(Business Wire)--
Apricorn, (www.apricorn.com/directv) the leader in personal storage, today
announced a 2TB* DVR Expander design for DIRECTV DVRs, the largest capacity DVR
external hard drive on the market. Apricorn`s DVR Expander can add up to 1124
hours of standard programming or 250 hours of high definition programming to
DIRECTV DVRs.

"DIRECTV provides the largest number of high definition programs in the
industry," said Mike McCandless, Apricorn`s VP of Sales and Marketing. "With
high definition content, recording space is at a premium and can quickly consume
the internal storage capacity of the DVR. The launch of Apricorn`s 2TB DVR
Expander now gives our customers enough space to record hundreds of hours of
their favorite HD programs."

Available in 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB capacities, the DVR Expander gives customers
plenty of room to record the over 130 HD channels that DIRECTV currently
provides.

http://www.reuters.c...2009 BW20091104

#216 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

The WD My DVR Expander is on the recommended list, unless that list was recently updated, the Apricorn is not, so thats up to you. Personally I use what alot of us here seem to use: ANTEC MX-1 with a WD Green drive installed.

#217 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

The WD My DVR Expander is on the recommended list, unless that list was recently updated, the Apricorn is not, so thats up to you. Personally I use what alot of us here seem to use: ANTEC MX-1 with a WD Green drive installed.

Has anyone tried the Thermaltake N0012USU enclosure?
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#218 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,268 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

I've heard of it, don't remember any positive posts about them. That 2TB Apricorn still only comes with a one year warranty. As does the Seagate Showcase.

Considering that the Seagate Barracudas come with a five year warranty and add the price of an Antec MX-1 and I don't see any reason to buy the Apricorn.

Rich

#219 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Apricorn Launches DVR Expander 2TB for DIRECTV® Customers:

Sounds intriguing. I'm actually checking to see if this 2TB gets a thumbs up from DIRECTV or not.

Edited by Doug Brott, 04 November 2009 - 11:52 AM.

#220 OFFLINE   mikelobitz

mikelobitz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Is there a list of "unofficially" approved hard drives. There are so many drives, not sure which ones to try. I can easily put together the enclosure and drive.

spam firewall