Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3100 replies to this topic

#2181 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

In theory that could work but what's the point? Most of us who use external drives are using 2TB drives. I'd never be using the internal drive with that setup.

Easy. It primarily helps those who have never added an external drive and who want to expand, as in this setup when that user plugged in a new external drive they would still have access to the recordings from the internal drive.

For those who already cleaned up their internal drives and have been using external drives, you'd just gain extra storage.

Makes it more user friendly for everyone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2182 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

Easy. It primarily helps those who have never added an external drive and who want to expand, as in this setup when that user plugged in a new external drive they would still have access to the recordings from the internal drive.

For those who already cleaned up their internal drives and have been using external drives, you'd just gain extra storage.

I'd prefer a backup/transfer mechanism over more storage.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2183 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

I'd prefer a backup/transfer mechanism over more storage.

I hear you. I'd be happy if DIRECTV allowed remote configuration backups (series links, etc.) to the cloud, but I can't see DIRECTV giving an option for backups except in one direction: the smaller factory-installed hard drive to a user-supplied external hard-drive of the same or larger capacity.

Transfers may be a more likely option, assuming users could select which DVR to transfer a recording to, as the user just needs to have free space somewhere.

I've been wanting to add capacity to my DVRs but have never been able to clean off completely any DVR the the point where I am OK ignoring the internal drive. Transferring to another DVR would be a big help, and being able to add an external drive without losing access to internal recordings would be icing on the cake for me.

#2184 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

A lot of people would hate that, but isn't it just speculation that a new storage scheme would require reformatting the drives to allow both the internal and external to work in conjunction?

We don't know how they're going to do it, or when, but how great would it be if they put out firmware that allows usage of both drives that does not require a reformat of either drive? If you've been using an external drive, the worst that would happen is you'd see any programs recorded on the internal drive. That would be the best scenario...

I'm convinced that use of eSATA drives one day will become a supported feature, so I just hope DIRECTV doesn't go a proprietary route and require we buy a drive and enclosure from THEM.

Wonder how the CSRs would cope with that? Since we can use 2TB drives, the loss of the internal drives aren't much of a hit, unless we're talking about the 34s. All my external/internal (on my owned units) drives are 2TBs, and I didn't come closer than ~20% Available on any of them this year.

Rich

#2185 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

A new "storage scheme" would require re-partitioning and re-partitioning requires formatting. Using 2 drives together to create one storage area would require either JBOD or RAID0. Both require an array and creating an array would require new partitions. Doing it any other way would be very unstable and most certainly unacceptable.

Using one as backup to another would be different and wouldn't be called a "storage scheme", it would be a backup scheme.

How did the TiVos manage to add HDDs? I installed many dual HDDs in my TiVos. I do realize the OS was on one of the drives. Still, the dual HDD's capacity was added together. All I needed was a bracket and a jumper wire, if I remember correctly. Just curious.

Rich

#2186 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Drew, we really gotta be careful what we wish for. Every big change scares hell out of me.

Rich

#2187 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

How did the TiVos manage to add HDDs? I installed many dual HDDs in my TiVos. I do realize the OS was on one of the drives. Still, the dual HDD's capacity was added together. All I needed was a bracket and a jumper wire, if I remember correctly. Just curious.

Rich

From what I remember you would install the drives and then you would "bless" the drives which married them and created something along the lines of a JBOD array. You couldn't just add a drive and keep your existing content.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2188 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Drew, we really gotta be careful what we wish for. Every big change scares hell out of me.

Rich

Agreed. It may help those that don't already use an external drive but could also in turn, even if unintentionally, hurt those of us who do.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2189 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just for comparison, Cablevision has a different scheme for external drives used with internal: When installed, the external drive is married to the DVR and recordings can be made on either the internal drive, the external drive or BOTH drives simultaneously. You never lose access to the internal recordings, but if you disconnect the external drive and a recording was fully or partially stored on the external drive, you'd see the title in the playlist but would not be able to play or delete it.

#2190 ONLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Rich

Agreed. It may help those that don't already use an external drive but could also in turn, even if unintentionally, hurt those of us who do.

Believe me ... I ain't got no pull, so if there are any plans for using internal and external drives simultaneously, my musings won't influence them one way or another. :)

#2191 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Believe me ... I ain't got no pull, so if there are any plans for using internal and external drives simultaneously, my musings won't influence them one way or another. :)

It doesn't have to be simultaneous storage. Whenever they go mucking around with anything in regards to drive storage, internal or external, there's a risk of total format.

The more I think about it the more I say leave it as is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2192 OFFLINE   nsolot

nsolot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

The concept of increasing storage by using multiple physical drive "devices" within one logical volume has been around for years. I recall doing it with Novell Netware in the mid 90's, however it was risky thing to do without mirroring devices for fault tolerance.

If I had a vote, I vote for breaking the 2 TB limit, as drive capacity is just going to keep getting larger.

#2193 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

From what I remember you would install the drives and then you would "bless" the drives which married them and created something along the lines of a JBOD array. You couldn't just add a drive and keep your existing content.

I did so many HDD changes on TiVos and I can't remember much except how to do it. I didn't take keeping your existing content into consideration.

Rich

#2194 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

Be nice if we could get the word out that WE CAN HELP now and do it better than anyone else can.

Rich

#2195 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

Many musings along this line might. Can't begin to imagine what would happen.

Rich

#2196 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

The concept of increasing storage by using multiple physical drive "devices" within one logical volume has been around for years. I recall doing it with Novell Netware in the mid 90's, however it was risky thing to do without mirroring devices for fault tolerance.

If I had a vote, I vote for breaking the 2 TB limit, as drive capacity is just going to keep getting larger.

I think most of us with multiple 2TB HDDs would be happy just to leave it the way it is, unless D* comes out with a totally new model that would support 3TB storage and that would, undoubtedly, lead to D* "supporting" the eSATA function. We can do that ourselves, we don't need to lose that freedom.

Rich

#2197 OFFLINE   mrkwstrlnd

mrkwstrlnd

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Our dvr is not sharing with the receiver we have upstairs. the Direct tech that paid us a visit said that we'd have to get a new dvr. We want to save the shows that we have recorded, mainly the wifes. Is there a way to do that and then transfer them back to the new dvr? Thanks.

#2198 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

Our dvr is not sharing with the receiver we have upstairs. the Direct tech that paid us a visit said that we'd have to get a new dvr. We want to save the shows that we have recorded, mainly the wifes. Is there a way to do that and then transfer them back to the new dvr? Thanks.

Did you reboot the receiver and reset network defaults? Often that will fix the issue, it's likely software related and not hardware related.

There is no way to save your recordings or transfer them. I suggest watching them all before getting your unit swapped out.

#2199 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:19 AM

Nope....the recordings are married to the dvr they were recorded on.

#2200 OFFLINE   MarkEHansen

MarkEHansen

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

I'm trying to copy the contents of my old eSATA drive to a new, larger eSATA drive. I'm using the instructions found in this post:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

Everything goes fine until I get to the point where I begin the xfsdump and xfsrestore commands. By the way, the gparted live terminal I get does not have root permissions, and so I need to "sudo su -" to become root before I do any of this. If anyone thinks that's a problem, perhaps we should look at that.

When I run the xfsdump pipe to xfsrestore, the kernel panics. It is complaining about xfsrestore, but I don't understand the problem (something about a null pointer).

When I reboot the machine and try it again, it fails because it says a restore was interrupted and I must provide either -R (to resume) or -Q (to force), so I add a -Q (to the xfsrestore) command. It again causes a kernel panic.

I downloaded the GParted Live CD, version 0.12.1-5 iso image and burned it to a cd, and am booting the machine with that.

Is there anything else I can do to get this copy to work? Do I need a different GParted Live version?

What about having to become root? The instructions definitely don't say anything about this, but without being root, I can't create the directories in /mnt, I can't mount the partitions, xfsrestore doesn't have permission to write into the new drive, etc.

Just for completeness, here is what I am doing:

The original drive is /dev/sdb
The new drive is /dev/sda

mkdir /mnt/new /mnt/orig
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/new
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/orig

xfsdump -J - /mnt/orig | xfsrestore -Q -J -p 600 - /mnt/new

This is where the kernel panics.

Please help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...