Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3107 replies to this topic

#2201 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Mark, please continue in dedicated thread - you're drugging this one off-topic.
You will need to read that thread more closely - there you'll find what GParted version is working.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2202 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

Use an older version of gparted....I still use .3.9-13...works 100% of the time..there are many newer version of gparted that do not work so I just continue to use a really old version.

#2203 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

I'm 1 week in with my external WD 2TB and it's working great so far. The amount it holds is great, should have done this long ago.

#2204 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

I'm 1 week in with my external WD 2TB and it's working great so far. The amount it holds is great, should have done this long ago.

Happy you're happy.... :lol:

Rich

#2205 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

I'm trying to copy the contents of my old eSATA drive to a new, larger eSATA drive. I'm using the instructions found in this post:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

Everything goes fine until I get to the point where I begin the xfsdump and xfsrestore commands. By the way, the gparted live terminal I get does not have root permissions, and so I need to "sudo su -" to become root before I do any of this. If anyone thinks that's a problem, perhaps we should look at that.

When I run the xfsdump pipe to xfsrestore, the kernel panics. It is complaining about xfsrestore, but I don't understand the problem (something about a null pointer).

When I reboot the machine and try it again, it fails because it says a restore was interrupted and I must provide either -R (to resume) or -Q (to force), so I add a -Q (to the xfsrestore) command. It again causes a kernel panic.

I downloaded the GParted Live CD, version 0.12.1-5 iso image and burned it to a cd, and am booting the machine with that.

Is there anything else I can do to get this copy to work? Do I need a different GParted Live version?

What about having to become root? The instructions definitely don't say anything about this, but without being root, I can't create the directories in /mnt, I can't mount the partitions, xfsrestore doesn't have permission to write into the new drive, etc.

Just for completeness, here is what I am doing:

The original drive is /dev/sdb
The new drive is /dev/sda

mkdir /mnt/new /mnt/orig
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/new
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/orig

xfsdump -J - /mnt/orig | xfsrestore -Q -J -p 600 - /mnt/new

This is where the kernel panics.

Please help.

There is a much easier method.

1. Install your new drive into the eSATA.
2. Hook it up to your receiver
3. When it is finished with setup (you will kow when yo can watch live tv) go to the setup menu and restart.
4. When all lights are out on the receiver, unplug the receiver and eSATA power.
5. Hook both drives up to your computer (the original drive and the new one)
6. start up partition cloning software such as HDCLone, Easus Partition Copy, or any other tool capable of copying partitions.
7. Copy partition 2 and partition 3 on the original disk to partition 2 and partition 3 of the new one.
8. Take new larger drive and hook it up to your DVR, you will now have your recorded shows and all your schedules available.

This is much easier than than the gparted method and less prone to user error. This also allows you to use whatever OS and disk software you are comfortable with.

Jamy

#2206 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,917 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

There is a much easier method.

1. Install your new drive into the eSATA.
2. Hook it up to your receiver
3. When it is finished with setup (you will kow when yo can watch live tv) go to the setup menu and restart.
4. When all lights are out on the receiver, unplug the receiver and eSATA power.
5. Hook both drives up to your computer (the original drive and the new one)
6. start up partition cloning software such as HDCLone, Easus Partition Copy, or any other tool capable of copying partitions.
7. Copy partition 2 and partition 3 on the original disk to partition 2 and partition 3 of the new one.
8. Take new larger drive and hook it up to your DVR, you will now have your recorded shows and all your schedules available.

This is much easier than than the gparted method and less prone to user error. This also allows you to use whatever OS and disk software you are comfortable with.

Jamy

Have you actually done that? I hadn't seen that posted before, but I don't check the copying thread too often. That seems like a much easier way to do it.

#2207 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

Have you actually done that? I hadn't seen that posted before, but I don't check the copying thread too often. That seems like a much easier way to do it.

Are you sure will not be a COPY, we are doing EXPANDING by Linux XFS tool.

1. HDClone doesn't support XFS !
2. Easus Partition Copy doesn't support XFS !

Edited by P Smith, 12 July 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#2208 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

I have done it three times and it worked perfectly. All three times I moved from a 500 GB to a 2TB drive. I ended up buying the $20 version of HDClone, before I found out there were free tools that would do the same thing.

I have had 0 issues with this process.

Jamy

#2209 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Are you sure will not be a COPY, we are doing EXPANDING by Linux XFS tool.

1. HDClone doesn't support XFS !
2. Easus Partition Copy doesn't support XFS !

I'm wondering if it verbal exercise of newbie ?

You are not expanding the partitions on the new drive with this process. The DVR is building the new partitions for you when you hook up the drive to begin with. After that, you are just copying the scheduler and stored show data to the correspondng partitions on the new disk. As stated above, I have already done this 3 times successfully. HDClone standard edition works perfectly, basic does not due to limitations on the free version. Specifically it won't let you copy just partition data, only the entire disk.

I would love to say that I discovered this, but I actually found it on the directv forum. http://forums.direct...postID=10980588

The caveat here is that this only works if the new drive will be used on the same DVR.

Newbie insults not needed BTW...

Edited by Bane, 12 July 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#2210 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

You are not expanding the partitions on the new drive with this process. The DVR is building the new partitions for you when you hook up the drive to begin with. After that, you are just copying the scheduler and stored show data to the correspondng partitions on the new disk. As stated above, I have already done this 3 times successfully. HDClone standard edition works perfectly, basic does not due to limitations on the free version. Specifically it won't let you copy just partition data, only the entire disk.

I would love to say that I discovered this, but I actually found it on the directv forum. http://forums.direct...postID=10980588

The caveat here is that this only works if the new drive will be used on the same DVR.

Newbie insults not needed BTW...

1st - I removed offending phrase.
2nd - so it's working ... mmmm...

I have fundamental question: how the HDCLONE copying XFS partitions ? Sector by sector blindly?

Perhaps you and other ppl are lucky - rtdev partition just a data chunks - no addresses ... Actually double lucky - as a location and a size of CRITICAL partition#2 [XFS] is fixed.

Personally, I don't like the method - it was pure luck for that guy who used it first. He just blindly did 'bet on zero' his $100 recordings and won this time. Dumb luck I would say.

Edited by P Smith, 20 September 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#2211 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have done it three times and it worked perfectly. All three times I moved from a 500 GB to a 2TB drive. I ended up buying the $20 version of HDClone, before I found out there were free tools that would do the same thing.
I have had 0 issues with this process.
Jamy

What is the free tool that will do it this way?

#2212 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

He wrote:

HDClone standard edition works perfectly, basic does not due to limitations on the free version. Specifically it won't let you copy just partition data, only the entire disk.

So, no free lunch ...

I would recommend to stick with Gparted. It's free (not the first requirement !) and (what is VERY IMPOTRTANT !!!) correctly handle XFS file system ! That's important.
This time chasing dumb luck could be dangerous and using improper software wouldn't make the process better. I'm not telling about extra hours ...

Actually we gone to far with off-topic.

Edited by P Smith, 20 September 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#2213 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

1st - I removed offending phrase.
I have fundamental question: how the HDCLONE copying EXT3+XFS partitions ? Sector by sector blindly?
Perhaps you and other ppl are lucky - rtdev partition just a data chunks - no addresses ... Actually double lucky - as a location and a size of CRITICAL partition#2 [EXT3+XFS] is fixed.
Personally, I don't like the method - it was pure luck for that guy who used it first. He just blindly did 'bet on zero' his $100 recordings and won this time. Dumb luck I would say.

P. He said it has worked 3 times and others have used it.
If true, Thats more than dumb luck isn't it?
I will be copying a drive soon, I might try this.

Why do you say 'bet' on his recordings? There's no threat of losing recordings from the source drive is there?

#2214 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

Any good partition cloning tool that should work as they are copying bit for bit, not performing a file system copy the way a operating system does. However I found out about the free tools such as http://www.partition...tition-copy.htm, after spending $20 on HDClone. I went searching for other methods after running into issues with gparted. I also didn't mind paying for $20 for HDClone, $20 is minimal for a solution that works.

Edited by Bane, 12 July 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#2215 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Why do you say 'bet' on his recordings? There's no threat of losing recordings from the source drive is there?

I have had 0, I repeat ZERO problems palying back shows that were copied or having my shedules work correctly. I had more problems finding eSATA enclosures that work with the DVR's than I have copying the data. Now if I could figure out a way to copy an internal drive ithout cracking the case I would be in heaven.

#2216 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Really, the thread not about COPYING.

[I did answer your question in my last couple posts - it was just dumb luck with the 'tools'].

#2217 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

[quote name='P Smith']1st - I removed offending phrase.

I have fundamental question: how the HDCLONE copying EXT3+XFS partitions ? Sector by sector blindly?

Perhaps you and other ppl are lucky - rtdev partition just a data chunks - no addresses ... Actually double lucky - as a location and a size of CRITICAL partition#2 [EXT3+XFS] is fixed.

Personally, I don't like the method - it was pure luck for that guy who used it first. He just blindly did 'bet on zero' his $100 recordings and won this time. Dumb luck I would say.[/QUO

All disk tools work the same at their core. They are copying 0's and 1's nothing more. At that level, the parituclar file system does not matter. Gparted is no differnt, it is just a more complex method than what I have described.

#2218 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,993 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

The thread is not about COPYING.

[No, it is NOT just 0&1. That's why it is dumb luck you use the blind method. Then use DD cmd - it would be much easy and speedy if use it wisely].

#2219 OFFLINE   Bane

Bane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

The thread is not about COPYING.

[No, it is NOT just 0&1. That's why it is dumb luck you use the blind method. Then use DD cmd - it would be much easy and speedy if use it wisely].

Not dumb luck at all, if you have any knowledge of disk cloning/copying. We'll have to agree to dis-agree.

The difference is that te DVR has already made the file system and partitons for you, at that point you are using a disk tool to copy the data. With GParted, you are building the entire disk structure. The same process should work with Gparted too, I just haven't tested it.

#2220 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

This seemed like a good deal for a 2TB WD EARS drive, $99, free shipping

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136891

I also used my free ShopRunner account for 2 day shipping.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...