Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2943 replies to this topic

#2261 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

My WD20EURS & blacX are still doing great, installed them on 6/23. i love having all this space. i also just added an HR34 and MRV so now I have a 2TB, 1TB, and whatever the HR22 comes standard with.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2262 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

So here's a new problem, at least for me. Have a 2 TB external drive hooked up to a HR24-500. Been working well for a couple of years now. Recently, in the wake of the latest "update", I've had to reboot the HR several times, as I get no picture at all, just a black screen, on start-up. Rebooting fixes that issue. And for the first 3-4 times, following the usual procedure for getting the HR to recognize the external drive worked fine. But a few days ago, following that same procedure, I got a blue screen, with a message telling me that the HR couldn't access any drive at all, and inviting me to reboot. After a couple such messages, on reboot now it recognizes only the internal drive. From all appearances (sound, lights, etc.), the external drive seems to be functioning fine, but the HR won't recognize it any more. Any ideas? Bad external drive, is what I'm thinking...

#2263 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

So here's a new problem, at least for me. Have a 2 TB external drive hooked up to a HR24-500. Been working well for a couple of years now. Recently, in the wake of the latest "update", I've had to reboot the HR several times, as I get no picture at all, just a black screen, on start-up. Rebooting fixes that issue. And for the first 3-4 times, following the usual procedure for getting the HR to recognize the external drive worked fine. But a few days ago, following that same procedure, I got a blue screen, with a message telling me that the HR couldn't access any drive at all, and inviting me to reboot. After a couple such messages, on reboot now it recognizes only the internal drive. From all appearances (sound, lights, etc.), the external drive seems to be functioning fine, but the HR won't recognize it any more. Any ideas? Bad external drive, is what I'm thinking...

Bruce, we'll need more details. What kind of external device is the HDD in?

All the 24-500s I've had are usually a PITA when it comes to external drives, but yours did run for quite a while, so let's rule that out. It will probably be either the external HDD, which we need the model number of, or the external device's chipset is shot. Most likely? The external device is the culprit. The HDD is probably good. That's the usual outcome. Tell us more.

Rich

#2264 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I think it's worthwhile to have an extra external box just for situations like this. To test with-rule out a bad enclosure which is the usual problem, or a bad HDD. I think Rich suggests this, too.

Fred

#2265 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Rich--

Well, I don't know the model number, now that you mention it. Can't find it anyplace on the box. But it is an Antec...?

#2266 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think it's worthwhile to have an extra external box just for situations like this. To test with-rule out a bad enclosure which is the usual problem, or a bad HDD. I think Rich suggests this, too.

Fred

Most definitely, Fred. I always have a spare HDD and a spare external device handy. Great troubleshooting tool.

Rich

#2267 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Rich--

Well, I don't know the model number, now that you mention it. Can't find it anyplace on the box. But it is an Antec...?

An Antec MX-1? Look like this?

If it is, that might be all that's wrong with the HDD, a bad chipset in the MX-1. The external devices do have these problems frequently. You might want to buy a Thermaltake docking station and try the HDD in it. This is the only external device that I use. I can't get a link for one, search for it on Amazon.

Rich

#2268 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Yes, that's basically it. Doesn't have a logo like that on the top, but does have the name on the end and is almost identically shaped.

So would it be fairly easy to pop out the drive and put it in the new station, assuming I can find it?

#2269 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yes, that's basically it. Doesn't have a logo like that on the top, but does have the name on the end and is almost identically shaped.

So would it be fairly easy to pop out the drive and put it in the new station, assuming I can find it?

Few screws, make sure you take out the ones on the sides that are near the bottom and the HDD should slide backwards easily and be free. As for finding the docking station, just go to amazon.com and in the search box enter "Thermaltake docking station". I'd gladly give you a link, but it won't work without my Amazon password. And NewEgg is giving me the wrong link.

Make sure you buy the dock with SATA in the description. You should be able to post a link and we'll tell you if it's the right one.

Rich

#2270 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

How's this one?

http://www.amazon.co...docking station

The challenge, though, may be to extract the drive from the Antec enclosure. There is only one screw I can find. The screw head is on the bottom of the enclosure, on its south end underneath the "Antec" mark. It's a very long screw, but its removal doesn't seem to make any difference--nothing is popping or sliding open or out...

#2271 OFFLINE   plewis

plewis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

How's this one?

http://www.amazon.co...docking station

The challenge, though, may be to extract the drive from the Antec enclosure. There is only one screw I can find. The screw head is on the bottom of the enclosure, on its south end underneath the "Antec" mark. It's a very long screw, but its removal doesn't seem to make any difference--nothing is popping or sliding open or out...

when you remove the screw, slide the top section about half an inch towards where the screw was, then it will pop off. Might be stuck from being closed so long. Use your thumbs to push it from the opposite side. It will give. Once you get it off, you will need to remove 2 screws from either side of the hard drive rack which holds the rack and hard drive to the enclosure. Then you remove both of the 2 pin connectors (black and white, blue and white in most cases). Then you slide the rack out similar to how you slide the top off. half an inch slide, then lift it out. Turn it over and there are 4 screws on the bottom holding the HDD to the rack. I just did this about 30 minutes ago. That's why I know :)

#2272 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Perfect. Thank you! Mission accomplished, so long as the new enclosure supplies the wires and connectors, since mine (which were black and red, and blue and white, respectively) seem to have been integrated into the old enclosure.

Now, all I need is confirmation that I have the right Thermaltake enclosure linked above...?

#2273 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Right. BlacX with eSATA.

#2274 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

Excellent. Two day shipping, and I'll give it a whirl. Thanks to everyone!

#2275 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

when you remove the screw, slide the top section about half an inch towards where the screw was, then it will pop off. Might be stuck from being closed so long. Use your thumbs to push it from the opposite side. It will give. Once you get it off, you will need to remove 2 screws from either side of the hard drive rack which holds the rack and hard drive to the enclosure. Then you remove both of the 2 pin connectors (black and white, blue and white in most cases). Then you slide the rack out similar to how you slide the top off. half an inch slide, then lift it out. Turn it over and there are 4 screws on the bottom holding the HDD to the rack. I just did this about 30 minutes ago. That's why I know :)

Thanx, glad I didn't have to write that.

Rich

#2276 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Excellent. Two day shipping, and I'll give it a whirl. Thanks to everyone!

No tools needed for the docking station. It comes with everything you need. Just make sure the HDD is securely in place. That means you should be able to gently lift up the dock with the HDD in it and the HDD should remain in place.

If your HDD is a WD, the label will be facing you right side up, if it's a Seagate, the label will be facing you upside down.

Rich

#2277 OFFLINE   plewis

plewis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanx, glad I didn't have to write that.

Rich

My pleasure, we should all give back when we can.

#2278 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

My pleasure, we should all give back when we can.

I've actually forgotten how to mount an HDD in an MX-1. Would have had to take my remaining (doesn't work) MX-1 apart and then write a post on how to do it. Glad you stepped in.

Rich

#2279 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

Upgrading a hr20 to hr24 in the next couple of days. Should my mx-1 and WD 1TB GP drive I've been using just move over and work? Or does the hr24 have a different compatibility list? I understand the recordings will be junk. Should I just reset all on the new unit?

Thanks

#2280 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Upgrading a hr20 to hr24 in the next couple of days. Should my mx-1 and WD 1TB GP drive I've been using just move over and work? Or does the hr24 have a different compatibility list? I understand the recordings will be junk. Should I just reset all on the new unit?

Thanks

Should work fine and id probably reset all once it's hooked up to the new one to reformat the drive.

spam firewall