Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3013 replies to this topic

#2281 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

Should work fine and id probably reset all once it's hooked up to the new one to reformat the drive.

He'll have to reenter his Series Links if he does that. I never reformat an HDD when I move it to another HR.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 29 August 2012 - 07:09 AM.
Clarification

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2282 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

How does this setup sound?

Western Digital AV-GP 2 TB SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Hard Drive - WD20EURS
http://goo.gl/7yz3N

With this external (eSATA) case:
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 0GB Quad Interface Storage Kit
http://eshop.macsale...C/MEP944FW8EU2/

#2283 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

He'll have to reenter his Series Links if he does that. I never reformat an HDD when I move it to another HR.

Rich

Oh cool, I didn't realize they would carry over. Thanks for mentioning this!

#2284 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

Just a quick note to say that the Thermaltake enclosure worked like a charm. The installation of the old HDD into the Thermaltake was truly brainless, and the receiver sensed the external drive right away. It did take a little time for the actual recordings to show up on the receiver's menu. At first, the menu was just a black screen, indicating the percentage of room left on the drive, but no recordings. But after a couple of beats the recordings showed up, and play fine.

After this experience, I'm not sure why I shouldn't always use this particular combination--Thermaltake enclosure with a Seagate 2TB drive. It is true that the cosmetics of the enclosure aren't super, since you see a good part of the drive, which could hurt Wife Acceptance Factor a bit. I just improvised something and it's fine.

Thanks again for the help, Rich and others. I feel strangely empowered by the experience. Rather than buy a new combo drive and enclosure from somebody at $200+, and lose the hundreds of hours of stuff on the old drive, with the gracious help of this board I spent $36 on a Thermaltake and a few minutes extracting the drive from the Antec and hooking the new rig up, and we are back in business, with all previous recordings intact!

#2285 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

After this experience, I'm not sure why I shouldn't always use this particular combination--Thermaltake enclosure with a Seagate 2TB drive.

I've been using a TT dock with a 2TB Seagate on one of my DVRs for over a year now and no problems.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2286 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Just a quick note to say that the Thermaltake enclosure worked like a charm. The installation of the old HDD into the Thermaltake was truly brainless, and the receiver sensed the external drive right away. It did take a little time for the actual recordings to show up on the receiver's menu. At first, the menu was just a black screen, indicating the percentage of room left on the drive, but no recordings. But after a couple of beats the recordings showed up, and play fine.

After this experience, I'm not sure why I shouldn't always use this particular combination--Thermaltake enclosure with a Seagate 2TB drive. It is true that the cosmetics of the enclosure aren't super, since you see a good part of the drive, which could hurt Wife Acceptance Factor a bit. I just improvised something and it's fine.

Thanks again for the help, Rich and others. I feel strangely empowered by the experience. Rather than buy a new combo drive and enclosure from somebody at $200+, and lose the hundreds of hours of stuff on the old drive, with the gracious help of this board I spent $36 on a Thermaltake and a few minutes extracting the drive from the Antec and hooking the new rig up, and we are back in business, with all previous recordings intact!

Glad we could help. First time I used a TT dock, I was stunned by how easy it was to set up.

Rich

#2287 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I've been using a TT dock with a 2TB Seagate on one of my DVRs for over a year now and no problems.

No chattering from the Seagate?

Rich

#2288 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

No chattering from the Seagate?

Nope, at least not when I've been here to hear it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2289 OFFLINE   sticketfan

sticketfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Will the wd 1 tb my dvr expander work with a hr24-500? I had the previous wd my dvr model hooked to it and it died after 2 yrs...

#2290 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

Any drive could die ANY time.

You never know, and no one know how long the particular drive will lasts.

#2291 OFFLINE   Volman

Volman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

Will the wd 1 tb my dvr expander work with a hr24-500? I had the previous wd my dvr model hooked to it and it died after 2 yrs...

Is it under warranty? WD is good about replacements.

Fred

#2292 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Nope, at least not when I've been here to hear it.

You'd hear it. My Seagate 1.5TBs all chattered constantly. They must have fixed them. Good to know.

Rich

#2293 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Probably, kinda hard to tell about which external devices will work with the 500s. I had a terrible time getting my one leased 500 to recognize an external device. Perhaps they've fixed that issue.

Rich

#2294 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Is it under warranty? WD is good about replacements.

Fred

True Fred, but they only have a two year warranty and unless you have the receipt they go by the build date that they determine from the serial number. I just got an EARX in exchange for an EARS that I could not get any HR to recognize. It was a very simple process.

Rich

#2295 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

You'd hear it. My Seagate 1.5TBs all chattered constantly. They must have fixed them. Good to know.

Rich

I have tons of Seagates around here either in my DVRs or my home media servers. I've never heard any of them chatter unless they were dying.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2296 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Any drive could die ANY time.

You never know, and no one know how long the particular drive will lasts.

Yup, same as electrical motors. We had motors that were installed in 1936 that still worked and others that would last a week after installation. Kinda like it is with people, you just never know...

Rich

#2297 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

I have tons of Seagates around here either in my DVRs or my home media servers. I've never heard any of them chatter unless they were dying.

Every one I put in a 20-700 chattered after one NR came down and they never stopped. That's why I switched to WDs. I sent a few of them to P Smith, still worked well, I think. Just had no use for 1.5 drives anymore once the price of the 2TB models dropped. Before that particular NR downloaded, I didn't hear anything from them. I still think it was caused by the 20-700s and that download.

Rich

#2298 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Only one survived, I keep it on a shelf to future research of creating good method of copy particular shows, not whole partition ...

#2299 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Only one survived, I keep it on a shelf to future research of creating good method of copy particular shows, not whole partition ...

Huh. Thought some of them would have been good. Maybe all that chattering was a call for help... :lol:

Rich

#2300 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

These deceased are got full table of bad sectors and pending relocation been stalled, adding to that many more bad sectors. Perhaps that chatting was defined by constant multiple attempts do re-assigning.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...