Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2856 replies to this topic

#2301 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Well, that happy story was short-lived. After a few more reboots caused by a freezing DVR, the external drive is no longer recognized by the 24-500. Bummer. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the receiver, because these "freezes" have been happening repeatedly over the last few weeks. Maybe it is just going bad....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2302 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Well, that happy story was short-lived. After a few more reboots caused by a freezing DVR, the external drive is no longer recognized by the 24-500. Bummer. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the receiver, because these "freezes" have been happening repeatedly over the last few weeks. Maybe it is just going bad....

Did you test the external drive itself and enclosure as it was mentioned here ?
MHDD, Victoria, SMART ?

#2303 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone know the max size disk the HR34 on the NR will recognize/ support? Thanks in advance!
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2304 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

2 TB.

#2305 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been searching the forum for a week or so now by using the the search tool and "googling' my topic after just becoming aware of using a EHD on my Dtv hr22. Ya I am behind the power curve by a lot lol.

I have read that a WD My Book WDBABT0010HBK-NESN will not work but the My DVR Expander WDG1S1000 will. Unfortunately they don't seem to exist. I have however found two on ebay for near what a My Book AV WDBABT0010 does.

Is the My book AV the same as the -NESN model? If not do you know if it will be compatible with my hr22?

I am sorry for bumping an old topic thread I know how some despise newbs doing this because they are lazy. Any info would be greatly appreciated Dan

#2306 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Order one of these:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153071

And if you want 1TB one of these:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136941

or 2TB one of these:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136783

Takes 15 minutes to install.

#2307 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

^Thanks for the response. OK I should build one. Any particular reason to use the ThermalTake other than keeping it cooler increasing longevity of the drive? I'd like to protect the drive better(3 yo daughter) and a lil more appealing to the eye. Maybe this one?

NewEgg Product #N82E16817816007

Sorry can't link "You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 5 posts" :nono:

#2308 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

many reasons to use TT: read Rich's numerous posts here and in similar threads (I'm expect Rich will be happy to post it again and again, but please have mercy on him )

#2309 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Most definately the info here is remarkable and a bit daunting for one just starting. I have been re-reading both this and eSATA FAQs and have not come to that info. I did find info pertaining to the Antec mx-1. I found it online for $42. Looks like I may go with this and the WD 3.5 sata 2tb he suggested. I'm just not done reading yet so it may change. Thanks again

#2310 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Rich I'm just going to ask instead of " torturing" myself any longer. After re-reading a good portion of this thread...I have have come to the conclusion that the WS20EURS with either the MX-1 or ThermalTake is the setup I need for my HR22-100. Correct?

#2311 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,979 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Rich I'm just going to ask instead of " torturing" myself any longer. After re-reading a good portion of this thread...I have have come to the conclusion that the WS20EURS with either the MX-1 or ThermalTake is the setup I need for my HR22-100. Correct?

Yes that's by far the most often used setups.

#2312 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thank you sir! I really appreciate the quick responses and not beating up a newb as some other boards do. This site is amazing! I only wish had found it sooner. Dan

#2313 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Yes that's by far the most often used setups.

+1

Those combos have proven to be very reliable over the last few years for many of us. As technology progresses, we occasionally need to recommend new drive models, but the MX-1's and TT BlacX enclosures are both still available.

#2314 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Exactly there are definately a lot of changes in product model numbers since the OP. This is why I asked about the WD my book av not knowing if it was next gen my book or dvr expander. Seeing how the WD dvr expander was on the D* list. My thinking was the my book av replaced the expander. But after reading (again & again) I understand why what you suggested is a better setup..cost effectiveness..cooling..ease of assembly..1tb vs 2tb. Please don't ever stop sharing the info and knowledge you all have. There are lots of dolts like me out there. What may seem simple to some is mind boggling to others. Thanks again Dan

#2315 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

For the ultimate in simplicity, go with the Thermaltake. Inserting the drive is exactly like putting bread in a toaster. The Antec takes more effort and the fan is something that could possibly (although not likely) fail.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#2316 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

For the ultimate in simplicity, go with the Thermaltake. Inserting the drive is exactly like putting bread in a toaster. The Antec takes more effort and the fan is something that could possibly (although not likely) fail.

Good advice, I will add though that the drives mounted in the Antec MX-1's actually run almost cool to the touch, whereas the drives mounted in the TT docks do run warm. But moving parts do fail eventually, anyone with a pc knows that occasionally you need to replace a case fan.

#2317 OFFLINE   gvlral

gvlral

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

For what it's worth, I thought I would let anyone interested know that the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U with a WD Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN is up an working:). I formated it before use with MBR:confused:. When I first pluged it in the HR34 didn't see it:rolleyes:, however, after repeating the start up seq. as posted by DTV the DVR attached the new drive:grin:. I have taken the drive down and attached it to my PC to see if any thing changed:confused:. The answer was yes as the PC attached the drive but wouldn't show that it was there in the Windows Explorer tree. I then used a partition/management software and it showed up as *other with an unrecognized format:(. So not being a guru I have ass-u-me-d:nono: that it has set up an encryption on the drive:mad:. I re-attached the drive without any changes and it is working fine.:)

#2318 OFFLINE   fyredawg

fyredawg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Good advice, I will add though that the drives mounted in the Antec MX-1's actually run almost cool to the touch, whereas the drives mounted in the TT docks do run warm. But moving parts do fail eventually, anyone with a pc knows that occasionally you need to replace a case fan.

I like the fact that the MX-1 is fully enclosed to protect the drive. The lid slides easily to gain access and if you don't screw the drive down it slides in and out just the same. I found a video of a guy who does this to use multiple drives in one enclosure. As for the fan if it fails....I'll take the lid off.

#2319 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,297 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

For what it's worth, I thought I would let anyone interested know that the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U with a WD Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN is up an working:). I formated it before use with MBR:confused:. When I first pluged it in the HR34 didn't see it:rolleyes:, however, after repeating the start up seq. as posted by DTV the DVR attached the new drive:grin:. I have taken the drive down and attached it to my PC to see if any thing changed:confused:. The answer was yes as the PC attached the drive but wouldn't show that it was there in the Windows Explorer tree. I then used a partition/management software and it showed up as *other with an unrecognized format:(. So not being a guru I have ass-u-me-d:nono: that it has set up an encryption on the drive:mad:. I re-attached the drive without any changes and it is working fine.:)

We have tons of info include what file system the DVR does employ. Take your time, be familiar with the knowledge.
Spoiler

Edited by P Smith, 20 September 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#2320 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,494 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

files system is EXT3+XFS, not encrypted, but recording's content does
[/spoiler]

Incorrect, you can't have both EXT3 and XFS. They are both their own file system and you get one or the other.

Saying it's EXT3+XFS would be like saying it's FAT+NTFS.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall