Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2900 replies to this topic

#2321 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

For what it's worth, I thought I would let anyone interested know that the Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U with a WD Caviar Black WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN is up an working:). I formated it before use with MBR:confused:. When I first pluged it in the HR34 didn't see it:rolleyes:, however, after repeating the start up seq. as posted by DTV the DVR attached the new drive:grin:. I have taken the drive down and attached it to my PC to see if any thing changed:confused:. The answer was yes as the PC attached the drive but wouldn't show that it was there in the Windows Explorer tree. I then used a partition/management software and it showed up as *other with an unrecognized format:(. So not being a guru I have ass-u-me-d:nono: that it has set up an encryption on the drive:mad:. I re-attached the drive without any changes and it is working fine.:)

Yeah, you don't want to format the drive, the DirecTV hr does it for you. I believe it's a Linux system and formats its own partitions for its use in the sizes it wants, which you can't do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2322 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Take a break, learn a little, get the drive connected to your PC and do a favor - look inside it before post BS.

I've connected several to a PC after they've been partitioned and formatted. You don't have to do that to know they can't be both EXT3 and XFS at the same time. They are two completely different file systems and a partition cannot be both at the same time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2323 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

OK. I would say that little different (just for you) its' a EXT3 type of partition with RTDEV extension what is formatted as XFS.

I'm not going to argue with you, clearly you feel you know everything and argue with everyone about it. Both partitions are XFS though. EXT3 is not a partition type, it's a filesystem type. The type for both partitions is 83 (LINUX).

Since you can't seem to ever do your own work and always ask others to do your testing for you here's your info:

Partitions - As you can see the partition type is 83
Disk /dev/sdb: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
164 heads, 34 sectors/track, 525515 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 40 1053863 526912 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb2 1053864 32513655 15729896 83 Linux
/dev/sdb3 32513656 2930271639 1448878992 83 Linux

And using cfdisk shows you the filesystem type of the main partition (2) and 3 is the realtime partition which is also XFS.

Disk Drive: /dev/sdb
Size: 1500301910016 bytes, 1500.3 GB
Heads: 164 Sectors per Track: 34 Cylinders: 525515

Name Flags Part Type FS Type [Label] Size (MB)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pri/Log Free Space 0.03 *
sdb1 Primary swap 539.56 *
sdb2 Primary xfs 16107.42
sdb3 Primary Linux 1483652.09
Pri/Log Free Space 2.84 *

There's the facts, do with them what you will but there is NO ext3 partition.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2324 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Final word for you - mount it and bring here output from fdisk. Enough of bickering with empty wording. Isn't that value what you brought to the thread ?
Show facts ! I posted enough long before you.

I already posted the facts in plain old black and white, read my last post. There's no "empty wording", whatever that means, just facts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2325 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

some ppl just can't comprehend partition scheme and file system difference and coexistence facts

You can stop your personal attacks now. Clearly it's you that doesn't understand what you're looking at.

Here is partitions of HR20-700 external 1.5TB drive.

I already provided you with the partition layout of a 1.5TB drive in Linux using both fdisk and cfdisk in an earlier post, please refer to that.

And EXT2 manager for windows' picture of same drive.

Anyone that knows anything about Linux partitions knows you don't use Windows to look at them. What you pointed out was a RAW partition of type 83. I already pointed out that the partitions are Type 83. EXT3 is NOT a partition type, it is a filesystem type. Windows shows "RAW" because it has no idea what XFS is. If you were to look at it in Linux, which I provided a copy/paste of, in cfdisk you can clearly see it says "xfs". The larger partition is a realtime xfs partition. You cannot have a main partition of one filesystem type that has a realtime partition of another, you just can't!

Again, EXT3 is NOT a parition type. EXT3 is a filesystem type!

Here is a list of partition types:

http://www.win.tue.n...on_types-1.html

There is NO partition type "EXT3". EXT3 is a filesystem type that you can use on a partition that is a type 83 partition.

If you take the time to look at the link provided instead of just assuming you can't be wrong you'll see that for partition type 83 it says:

"Linux is a Unix-like operating system written by Linus Torvalds and many others on the internet since Fall 1991. It runs on PCs (386 and up) and a variety of other hardware. It is distributed under GPL. Software can be found numerous places, like ftp.funet.fi, metalab.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu. See also comp.os.linux.* and http://www.linux.org/. Various filesystem types like xiafs, ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc. all use ID 83. Some systems mistakenly assume that 83 must mean ext2."

In summary....

1. There are 3 partitions on the drive. 1 swap partition (type 82 Linux Swap) and 2 data partitions (type 83 Linux).

2. EXT3 is NOT a parition type, it is a filesystem type.

3. The filesystem type on the 2 data partitions is XFS.

4. There is NO ext3 formatted partition on the device.

Working with Linux is NOT a hobby for me. If I didn't know all this stuff I'd have lost my job long ago.

EDIT: Further proof that the partitions are XFS. When you mount the disk to copy the contents to a new disk you use the following:

mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HR

Right here you're telling the system what filesystem type you want to use (-t). You'll see that you're telling it to use "xfs" for both partitions. You can't mount an ext3 filesystem by telling the system to mount it as xfs, you just can't.

Edited by RunnerFL, 20 September 2012 - 09:12 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2326 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

OK. I'm agree: it is XFS file system with partition type 83. Going back to my posts and correct.

#2327 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

Only one survived, I keep it on a shelf to future research of creating good method of copy particular shows, not whole partition ...

How did that work out?

#2328 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

How did that work out?

Mothballed for future research. Other challenges taking my free times.

As to that last physical drive, it's gone too, nothing left from Rich's batch. But I made a copy of its content to new HDD before 'last kiss goodbye'.

#2329 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Found this article:

http://hdguru.com/di...ve-review/8056/

So thinking of picking up the WD drive cited there but with this enclosure, because its USB 3 instead of the USB 2 in the model they used:

http://www.amazon.co...rosewill rx-358

Any experiences with these models?

#2330 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Found this article:

So thinking of picking up the WD drive cited there but with this enclosure, because its USB 3 instead of the USB 2 in the model they used:

They are jussst bunch of liars: "With no guide found anywhere on the Internet as to which make and model drive works with the THR22" when wrote it.
Here, at the site, we have a lot of info about external drives for HR22 or it's 'brother' THR22.

#2331 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Found this article:

The DirecTV boxes (including the TiVo one) only work with esata so anything to do with USB is meaningless, unless your thinking if usin it with something other than a receiver someday after you retire the DirecTV box.

#2332 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

That's my thinking, flexibility to use the enclosure for other uses. Main concern is that I tried an eSata enclosure with probably a slow drive and it stuttered badly on HR20.

I may not stay with D* or else I would look for an upgrade to a newer box.

Just wondering if a newer enclosure with USB 3 is going to have probs being fast enough.

#2333 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

That's my thinking, flexibility to use the enclosure for other uses. Main concern is that I tried an eSata enclosure with probably a slow drive and it stuttered badly on HR20.

I may not stay with D* or else I would look for an upgrade to a newer box.

Just wondering if a newer enclosure with USB 3 is going to have probs being fast enough.

Usb2.0 is plenty fast enough no to mention data is too and the only use 1.5. Your issue was likely drive type previously. The drive the article mentions is excellent as I use several of them.

#2334 OFFLINE   DaveThreshold

DaveThreshold

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:00 AM

I've been reading this thread. It has been extremely helpful! :) Time to expand to an external HD for my HR22-100 box. I have had a Fantom 1TB for ages on my regular computer, so I figured THIS Phantom 2TB might work. Can anybody tell me if it will? It is the GDP2000EU.
ETA: It has the eSATA, and USB 2 ports.

I guess I can't post the URL yet.

#2335 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Fantom makes/models have never been well received here....I highly suggest you go with one of the recommended Westerndigitals and either the Antec MX-1 or Thermaltake BlacX

#2336 OFFLINE   DaveThreshold

DaveThreshold

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Fantom makes/models have never been well received here....I highly suggest you go with one of the recommended Westerndigitals and either the Antec MX-1 or Thermaltake BlacX

Great. Thank you CC. That is a big help. It seems like DTV and everybody is so consumed with copy-guard, and copy-write that they make it really difficult in a case like this.

I do commend DTV though for offering the eSATA input. I wish they would include rudimentary editing software for their units also. My NORMAL setup is Win Mediacenter and I use video redo to take out commercials. (Only good for over the air of course) I can save hundreds of commercial free shows on any drive that I want.

#2337 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Great. Thank you CC. That is a big help. It seems like DTV and everybody is so consumed with copy-guard, and copy-write that they make it really difficult in a case like this.

I do commend DTV though for offering the eSATA input. I wish they would include rudimentary editing software for their units also. My NORMAL setup is Win Mediacenter and I use video redo to take out commercials. (Only good for over the air of course) I can save hundreds of commercial free shows on any drive that I want.

Why you not bought Hauppage card with component input and do same for any show what your Hx or HRxx can play ?

#2338 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Anyone try anything like this?

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003EMJ34U

USB 3 drives seem more common than eSata so if these adapters may be one solution.

#2339 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

USB 3 drives seem more common than eSata so if these adapters may be one solution.

Better to stick with what we know works. Follow CCarncross' advice and you'll be happy.

Rich

#2340 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

If you're just looking at buying some off the shelf crap, yes, most you see are USB2/3 drives. Remember that this is for your DVR, it spins pretty much 24/7, are you really thinking that just adding some portable usb drive is the way to go? you really need to consider one of these a permanent piece of your dvr until you cancel the service.....

For example, pick your drive:

http://www.newegg.co...nal-Hard-Drives

Pick your enclosure:

http://www.newegg.co...rnal-Enclosures

A few of the off the shelf plug and pray solutions were popular, but most of those have been taken out of service, like the Calvary FAP, and EXtremes...you can't go wrong with what was recommended above.

spam firewall