Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#2341 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

If you're just looking at buying some off the shelf crap, yes, most you see are USB2/3 drives. Remember that this is for your DVR, it spins pretty much 24/7, are you really thinking that just adding some portable usb drive is the way to go? you really need to consider one of these a permanent piece of your dvr until you cancel the service....

I strongly agree with this. My first DVR upgrade drive was a "plain vanilla" 750GB Seagate...it failed after about 10 months (it's warranty replacement has been attached to my laptop for the last 3 years). Since then I have only used "AV" drives (designed for DVR use) and just had my first failure of such a drive, and that was caused by it being knocked off a shelf while operating, not by wear and tear.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2342 OFFLINE   DaveThreshold

DaveThreshold

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thank you for all of your answers! :)
I think the problem we have is that it is not any normal type of computer, and the interface or the box itself will be very finicky. In my HT computer, (Win media Center 64/32) I have lost count of the TB I’m using. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe Ver 2 Mobo which has 6 built in Sata outlets. I now have 3 other drives that are full, and not even hooked up. I have the left cover off of the comp, and I just run the regular Sata wires out of the side. I was using older WD 5,400 rpm drives, then I got spoiled when I bought a Hitachi 2 TB 7,200. NOW when needed, I am buying the Seagate Barracuda 3000 drives. - Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 - (For media center recording) They have 7,200 RPM, 3 TB, and are very fast for moving, say, 10 recorded TV shows around. My SS drive clocks in at about 200 MBS, and the Seagates clock in at about 160 MBS for actual file moving (at first.) One reason is that with the 3TB, they are only using THREE platters – just under a TB per platter. With the other drives, rarely, I would get a video stutter, which was playback only, while recording 3-4 shows and watching one. – Very demanding. With the Seagate, I NEVER get that anymore.

I’ll see if the 2TB versions are on the list. I hope my running on a bit will help people select drives for other things. For editing, I’m using VideReDo. It has a HUGE window to analyze what you are working on. It’s too bad that the DTV boxes do not have basic editing. So, as an example I have the entire Series of Criminal minds, now commercial free, and beautiful HD. The 1st 6 seasons, edited, take up 403 GB.

#2343 OFFLINE   gvlral

gvlral

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have recorded a few football games that I recorded to a 1TB WD drive that I attach to my HR34 and I would like to watch them on my PC. Are you guys saying that I can do this?:confused: I thought you have to re-attach the drive to the same DVR to watch these recordings which is a pain.:rolleyes:

#2344 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

I have recorded a few football games that I recorded to a 1TB WD drive that I attach to my HR34 and I would like to watch them on my PC. Are you guys saying that I can do this?:confused: I thought you have to re-attach the drive to the same DVR to watch these recordings which is a pain.:rolleyes:

You can only watch the recordings on the DVR that recorded them. The only option you'd have to watch them on a PC is to buy a capture card/device and capture them on your PC.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2345 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I thought you have to re-attach the drive to the same DVR to watch these recordings which is a pain.:rolleyes:

This is precisely how it works.

The disc format used is not widely supported on Windows or Mac computers and the content is encrypted.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2346 OFFLINE   GhostHeel

GhostHeel

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

I highly suggest you go with one of the recommended Westerndigitals and either the Antec MX-1 or Thermaltake BlacX

Just got two brand new HR-24s and used the recommended 2TB WD and Thermaltake dock setup on both DVRs and cant be happier.

#2347 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

I have had great luck with Seagate 1 TB and 2 TB drives. In my (limited) experience, it appears the Thermaltake BlacX is the key. Whatever interface it presents, the HR21 and HR34 both seem instantly happy with it.

The data is not encrypted. Run the Ubuntu OS (run from a disk, you don't need to touch your current Windows OS). Use the Thermaltake USB interface then, to attach the eSATA drive to your computer. Running Ubuntu or any Linux variation, you'll be able to read the files on the HDD just fine.

Edit Clarification: you will be able to read a range of various files on the DVR eSATA drive. But you will not be able to watch the recordings that are there. All the posts that say you can only 'play' the recordings on the specific DVR that recorded them - those posts are absolutely correct.

Edited by gct, 11 October 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#2348 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

The data is not encrypted.

Edit Clarification: you will be able to read a range of various files on the DVR eSATA drive. But you will not be able to watch the recordings that are there. All the posts that say you can only 'play' the recordings on the specific DVR that recorded them - those posts are absolutely correct.

This is because the data is, in fact, encrypted.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2349 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

This is because the data is, in fact, encrypted.

That's because you deliberately don't make distinguish between other files and recording [video/audio] files.

A fact is you never seen the file system and never did mount/navigate a DTV DVR's drive in Ubuntu, etc.

#2350 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have had great luck with Seagate 1 TB and 2 TB drives. In my (limited) experience, it appears the Thermaltake BlacX is the key. Whatever interface it presents, the HR21 and HR34 both seem instantly happy with it.

The data is not encrypted. Run the Ubuntu OS (run from a disk, you don't need to touch your current Windows OS). Use the Thermaltake USB interface then, to attach the eSATA drive to your computer. Running Ubuntu or any Linux variation, you'll be able to read the files on the HDD just fine.

tomato, tomaato....The data on the disk is pretty useless without the dvr that recorded it, the actual specifics are pretty much equally as useless. If the DVR dies, you might as well go ahead and smash the drive, because you ain't gonna watch those shows no mo'. Of course, you can re-use the drive on your new dvr....

Why do you knuckleheads(not you gct) have to argue about every stupid little thing? P Smith, for the extent of this discussion, what I've bolded above is really all that matters

Edited by CCarncross, 12 October 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#2351 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

That's because of you, knucklehead, side with stupid sentences what are far away from real technical process/solutions. Or try to make a mess in one mesh potato dish. And pay no attention to details of following posts nor get into context of threading.

To you, if you so technically impaired, all the "little things" is DEFINE the functionality of DVR or any device. Get real. It's not your cup of tea if you don't see the DIFFERENCE, please refrain from posting your personal very limited level of technical knowledge.

#2352 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,960 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

tomato, tomaato....The data on the disk is pretty useless without the dvr that recorded it, the actual specifics are pretty much equally as useless.

The specifics are only useless if they cannot lead to an better understanding of whether or not the content is portable given changes to the DVR software.

To say that playing content recorded on another DVR is obviously (and for all time) impossible is very shortsighted if all you know is that it isn't currently supported.

#2353 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just got two brand new HR-24s and used the recommended 2TB WD and Thermaltake dock setup on both DVRs and cant be happier.

What kind of HR 24, if I may ask?

#2354 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

The specifics are only useless if they cannot lead to an better understanding of whether or not the content is portable given changes to the DVR software.

To say that playing content recorded on another DVR is obviously (and for all time) impossible is very shortsighted if all you know is that it isn't currently supported.

So many things in my lifetime have been "impossible", can't break the speed of sound, can't break the 4 minute mile, can't transplant organs, can't go to the moon, can't, can't, can't. Yet, it seems that anything we can imagine, we can do. Can't clone a human being? That's gotta be harder than allowing us to swap HDDs within an account, right? Just watch what happens over the next few years. If it hasn't happened already. I don't like the "can't" model.

Rich

#2355 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

What kind of HR 24, if I may ask?

I've tried all 3 models of 24s with that setup and they all work very well.

Rich

#2356 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

I've tried all 3 models of 24s with that setup and they all work very well.

Rich

I'm confused. External drives with an HR24-500 work well? We had a colloquy a few weeks back in which I thought I understood you to say the opposite? Even with a Thermaltake enclosure.....

#2357 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm confused. External drives with an HR24-500 work well? We had a colloquy a few weeks back in which I thought I understood you to say the opposite? Even with a Thermaltake enclosure.....

You're right, sorry. I have had problems with the 24-500s and external drives. Don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. Befuddled I am, at times... :lol:

Rich

#2358 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

the wd20earx is currently at $99.

now $89.

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

Edited by rb5505, 25 October 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#2359 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,876 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

the wd20earx is currently at $99.

now $89.

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

Of course it is. I paid $128 for the last one I bought a couple months ago. Just my luck.

Rich

#2360 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Of course it is. I paid $128 for the last one I bought a couple months ago. Just my luck.

Rich

just to be sure, does the wd20earx drive with a Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U work with a hr24-100?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...