Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2856 replies to this topic

#2361 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Well, my original HR24 drive crashed, so I ordered a 2TB WD20EURS drive from Amazon and it gets here tomorrow. I'm going to attempt my first dive on replacing a DIRECTV drive ... :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2362 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

just to be sure, does the wd20earx drive with a Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U work with a hr24-100?

Works on my 24-100. The only 24 you might have problems with when installing an external drive is the 24-500. They are kinda picky about what you put on them. I've had problems with both the TT docks and the MX-1s. Not to say you can't get one working on a 500, but you might have problems with it.

Rich

#2363 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Well, my original HR24 drive crashed, so I ordered a 2TB WD20EURS drive from Amazon and it gets here tomorrow. I'm going to attempt my first dive on replacing a DIRECTV drive ... :D

Uh oh. Which model is it? The 500s are easy, the 100s are more complicated and the 200s are really difficult if you don't want to use the ty-wrap method.

Rich

#2364 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Uh oh. Which model is it? The 500s are easy, the 100s are more complicated and the 200s are really difficult if you don't want to use the ty-wrap method.

Rich

The 500, and you're right- it's very easy to get to the drive. I've got the cover off but I've been swamped today so I haven't done anything yet, but I'm going to try to do a disk scan/repair on the bad drive on my PC and if it can fix anything, see if I can copy the recordings to the new 2TB drive. I have so much stuff to do in the meantime, so I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it...

#2365 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

The 500, and you're right- it's very easy to get to the drive. I've got the cover off but I've been swamped today so I haven't done anything yet, but I'm going to try to do a disk scan/repair on the bad drive on my PC and if it can fix anything, see if I can copy the recordings to the new 2TB drive. I have so much stuff to do in the meantime, so I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it...

I've never tried to copy content, have so many HRs I've got multiple backups of everything. Be interesting to see how you make out. I gotta do that one of these days.

Rich

#2366 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I've never tried to copy content, have so many HRs I've got multiple backups of everything. Be interesting to see how you make out. I gotta do that one of these days.

Rich

I did it not to long ago, actually went to a smaller drive one of my units. (Long story). And it worked great. I will say you have to follow the right instructions and use the right glared to make it easy though.

#2367 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

What tools will you be using to scan/repair your drive?
How did it crash?

#2368 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

See that 'Copy ..." threads: xfstools

#2369 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

I did it not to long ago, actually went to a smaller drive one of my units. (Long story). And it worked great. I will say you have to follow the right instructions and use the right glared to make it easy though.

Don't understand???

Rich

#2370 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Rich

It ended up just being a drive swap, putting the new 2TB WD20EURS drived into my owned HR24-500. After restarting it only took a minute or two to format the drive after recognized new storage was found. I couldn't do the copy because ...

What tools will you be using to scan/repair your drive?
How did it crash?

I had to reboot my HR24-500 last Monday night and after restarting it took almost 45 minutes to get back to live TV, sitting at running receiver self-check for a long time. I decided to restart to see if it would repeat, and at that point it reported an internal storage error was detected, but then it froze and would not respond to remote commands or front-panel buttons. I had to leave it powered down for over 10 hours and then restarted and it went to the disk scan automatically, but found so many errors (rolling up and over 65K, returning to 0, and repeating) that I finally just pulled the plug.

In my case the original internal drive was a Seagate Pipeline HD.2, so I installed Seatools on my PC and tried to scan and repair it there, but it failed the Basic and Long Tests, and when repair started, came back that too many bad sectors were found. The drive was toast.

So I lost what was on the DVR, but now I've got 4x the storage I had before and it's just waiting for me to fill it up with recordings...

#2371 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Don't understand???

Rich

Darn auto correct. I meant Gparted.

I used this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

This post is important for sure..

http://www.dbstalk.c...388#post2260388

and this is the post with the details on the hard part. (to me, I never have sued linux in my life)

http://www.dbstalk.c...390#post2260390

That is exactly what I used and it worked great. The key was to use gparted 0.3.7.7 Newer versions don't work as well, you have to do more stuff, so I just used that old version and it was easy. Just make sure you pay attention to all the spaces in the commands.

The old posts are still perfect for today.

#2372 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

It ended up just being a drive swap, putting the new 2TB WD20EURS drived into my owned HR24-500. After restarting it only took a minute or two to format the drive after recognized new storage was found. I couldn't do the copy because ...

I had to reboot my HR24-500 last Monday night and after restarting it took almost 45 minutes to get back to live TV, sitting at running receiver self-check for a long time. I decided to restart to see if it would repeat, and at that point it reported an internal storage error was detected, but then it froze and would not respond to remote commands or front-panel buttons. I had to leave it powered down for over 10 hours and then restarted and it went to the disk scan automatically, but found so many errors (rolling up and over 65K, returning to 0, and repeating) that I finally just pulled the plug.

In my case the original internal drive was a Seagate Pipeline HD.2, so I installed Seatools on my PC and tried to scan and repair it there, but it failed the Basic and Long Tests, and when repair started, came back that too many bad sectors were found. The drive was toast.

So I lost what was on the DVR, but now I've got 4x the storage I had before and it's just waiting for me to fill it up with recordings...

Make sure you save that bad Pipeline.

Rich

#2373 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Darn auto correct. I meant Gparted.

I used this thread...

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

This post is important for sure..

http://www.dbstalk.c...388#post2260388

and this is the post with the details on the hard part. (to me, I never have sued linux in my life)

http://www.dbstalk.c...390#post2260390

That is exactly what I used and it worked great. The key was to use gparted 0.3.7.7 Newer versions don't work as well, you have to do more stuff, so I just used that old version and it was easy. Just make sure you pay attention to all the spaces in the commands.

The old posts are still perfect for today.

Got it, thanx. I tried so many ways to make a word out of "glared" that made sense in the context of the post, I damn went blind... :lol:

Rich

#2374 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Make sure you save that bad Pipeline.

Rich

I do still have it, but I'm curious ... what would I do with it?

#2375 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

When its time come to return it; would you give the 2 TB 'gift' to someone ? Or (I think) to that tech who doing referb process at DTV facility ?

#2376 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

When its time come to return it; would you give the 2 TB 'gift' to someone ? Or (I think) to that tech who doing referb process at DTV facility ?

I own the HR24, so it's not being returned. If I ever sell it or give it away, they wouldn't get my 2TB drive, but I certainly wouldn't pass of a dead drive to the new owner.

#2377 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

I do still have it, but I'm curious ... what would I do with it?

If you have to send the 24-500 back for some reason you stick it back in the box. Or send them an HR with a 2TB drive.... :lol:

Rich

#2378 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'd bet they'd never find that 2TB drive.

Rich

#2379 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I own the HR24, so it's not being returned. If I ever sell it or give it away, they wouldn't get my 2TB drive, but I certainly wouldn't pass of a dead drive to the new owner.

If something other than a bad HDD hits your 500, you can return it and get another owned 24. Sending it back without an HDD of some sort would be bad form... :lol:

Rich

#2380 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Rich - I hadn't thought of a receiver swap under the protection plan, but yes, that would be a good reason to put the original (dead) drive back in it. :up:

spam firewall