Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

Is there a list of "unofficially" approved hard drives. There are so many drives, not sure which ones to try. I can easily put together the enclosure and drive.

I think post #1 has what you're looking for. ;)

http://www.dbstalk.c...832#post2145832

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   mikelobitz

mikelobitz

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

I think post #1 has what you're looking for. ;)

Mike

O.K....seriously guys..."unofficial" meaning not the web page directly off of DTV website. That would be the "official" web page with FOUR hard drives on it. I can't even find those exact drives online anyway. They probably have some slightly different model number at this point.

Original question posted again...

Is there an "UNOFFICIAL" list of hard drives that work as DVR expanders. Not to belittle the previous post, but seriously you guys...;)

#223 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

O.K....seriously guys..."unofficial" meaning not the web page directly off of DTV website. That would be the "official" web page with FOUR hard drives on it. I can't even find those exact drives online anyway. They probably have some slightly different model number at this point.

Is there an "UNOFFICIAL" list of hard drives that work as DVR expanders. Not to belittle the previous post, but seriously you guys...;)

I don't know of any info anywhere other then what you've already read.

Maybe someone else has some info. I have a Seagate 750GB in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. I would be willing to bet that a WD or Seagate put into an MX-1 would get you what you want.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#224 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

when i hook up my WD Green 1.5 TB to my HR20, will i still be able to view archived shows off the internal HD or no?
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#225 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

when i hook up my WD Green 1.5 TB to my HR20, will i still be able to view archived shows off the internal HD or no?

Only if you power down the receiver, disconnect the eSATA and then restart the receiver.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#226 OFFLINE   xandor

xandor

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

Quick question -- I have to replace my HR20-700 and just got the replacement today -- I know that I'm going to lose the recordings on my external drive, but I don't remember seeing (or my search-fu skills are lacking).

Do I need to format my hard drive from my computer before connecting it to the new DVR in order to use it?

1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Sharp 52" LCD/LED TV (Bedroom)
1 HR20-700 connected via HDMI to a Samsung 46" LCD/LED TV (Living Room)
1 H21-200 connected via HDMI to a 19" Samsung TV (Kitchen)
1 HR24-500 connected via HDMI to a 32" Vizio TV (Basement)

All connected to a splitter to an AU9 dish with SWM-5 LNB and to DECA

#227 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

Nope, like you saw all the recordings will be toast. but your SL's will still be intact. No need to format...

#228 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,353 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

I use Seagate Barracuda drives in three Antecs and as internal drives in the three 20-700s that I own. All are 1.5TB HDDs. All work perfectly and come with five year replacement warranties.

Rich

#229 OFFLINE   herbmm

herbmm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

Is there a list of "unofficially" approved hard drives. There are so many drives, not sure which ones to try. I can easily put together the enclosure and drive.

Just go with this: ANTEC MX-1 with a WD Green drive installed.

I tried various other off the shelf options with no luck because I did not want to have to put something together. Finally, after reading every post in this thread, I did what the majority of people were saying. It took 10 minutes. I put in in over a month ago, and it worked perfectly the first time.

I put in a 1.5 TB drive. I have 60 HD movies recorded and and various other shows, and still have 62% free.

I do not know any reason to try anything else.

#230 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,353 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

Just go with this: ANTEC MX-1 with a WD Green drive installed.

I tried various other off the shelf options with no luck because I did not want to have to put something together. Finally, after reading every post in this thread, I did what the majority of people were saying. It took 10 minutes. I put in in over a month ago, and it worked perfectly the first time.

I put in a 1.5 TB drive. I have 60 HD movies recorded and and various other shows, and still have 62% free.

I do not know any reason to try anything else.

Agreed, either the Seagate Barracudas or the WD Green Caviars seem to work well with any HR when placed in an Antec MX-1 enclosure. With just one HR or a couple HRs, I'd suggest the 2TB WD drive, with many HRs I'd go with the 1.5TBs. I have seen the 2TB WDs for $179 recently.

Rich

#231 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

Rich-

I have been reading all the posts and want to upgrade my HR20-700 to 1.5TB. I think my HR20-700 came from DirecTV as part of a free promotion when I changed out my old round non HD dish to the new HD dish. I have since added a $169 Costco DirecTV HD receiver which I believe is an HR22 series....black case vs. older silver case on the HR20-700.....I use it in a cabin in the mountains running off my same subscription from home where the HR20-700 operates and needs more recording space.

What I'm unclear about is whether I have to or should use the external MX-1 or whether I can simply change out the hard drive in the HR20-700 with the WD Green 1.5 or the Seagate Barracuda 1.5? Does the HR20-700 have a fan for cooling or is this the reason to go external with the MX-1 and its own fan?

The WD 1.5 is only $110 shipped from Amazon or $119 for the Barracuda. Adding the MX-1 from Amazon is another $51.

There is a seller on eBay selling the 1.5TB Barracuda "ready to go" for $197. Tried to post the link but it won't let me do that until I have posted 5 times to this site.......?
Is there anything he's doing to the drive that I can't do myself? It appears from this seller that you don't need the additional cooling from the external MX-1 enclosure??

Thanks-Wes

#232 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

What I'm unclear about is whether I have to or should use the external MX-1 or whether I can simply change out the hard drive in the HR20-700 with the WD Green 1.5 or the Seagate Barracuda 1.5?

Changing out the internal HDD on your receiver is at your own peril and should only be done if you own your receiver (not a lease) .. other than that, you are on your own with your decision.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#233 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Doug-

As I understand it....you never really own your receiver. When I bought the $169 HR22 at Costco the terms for registering it still said that it was a lease from DirecTV....so is there really any difference or importance about where the receiver came from? If it failed and DirecTV wanted it back....I would exchange out the 1.5 hard disk back to their 300Gb original one.

My concern is whether the 1.5TB puts out more heat then the HR22-700 can handle and if that's the reason to go with an MX-1 enclosure and external operation?

I've changed out hard drives in computers before and they were simply a matter of unscrewing retaining enclosures and then unplugging/replugging in the new one.

Is there more to the story than this?

Wes

#234 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

Doug-

As I understand it....you never really own your receiver. When I bought the $169 HR22 at Costco the terms for registering it still said that it was a lease from DirecTV....so is there really any difference or importance about where the receiver came from? If it failed and DirecTV wanted it back....I would exchange out the 1.5 hard disk back to their 300Gb original one.

My concern is whether the 1.5TB puts out more heat then the HR22-700 can handle and if that's the reason to go with an MX-1 enclosure and external operation?

I've changed out hard drives in computers before and they were simply a matter of unscrewing retaining enclosures and then unplugging/replugging in the new one.

Wes

The cases of the HR2x require a Torx security bit to open, for one thing, and they are not as easy to work on internally as a computer (smaller space, less accessible, shorter cables, etc.) .

That said, though I do own an HR21 whose drive died on me last month, I decided not to bother opening up the case. I didn't use an MX1 enclosure either though. I got a Thermaltake drive dock instead: you literally plug the drive in vertically like an oversized cartridge of an old game console. Works like a charm, and if (when!) the new drive fails in a few years, I can easily just plug in a new one without any fuss.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#235 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

Doug-

Wes

You didn't "buy" your receiver from Costco...you paid a lease fee. You can truly own a receiver...but not by paying $169 from Costco.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#236 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Doug-

Wes

Yes, its against the TOS to open a box you don't own, so if you are leasing them its much safer to add the eSATA solution by using an MX-1 setup....personally I think they run much cooler in the MX-1 than they do internally, so the drive could last much longer as well...

#237 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Does this mean that the service weaknees offers for "shipping us your HD DVR and we'll install a larger internal drive for you" (unless it is meant only for true owners of their DVRs--about which weaknees says nothing) is also problematic?

#238 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Does this mean that the service weaknees offers for "shipping us your HD DVR and we'll install a larger internal drive for you" (unless it is meant only for true owners of their DVRs--about which weaknees says nothing) is also problematic?

Its possible, the people at weeknees would be much better equipped to handle that type of question.

#239 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

So, I just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB external drive, and wanted to check in to make sure the signs are good that it "took". Receiver is plugged back in, I'm getting all channels, etc. Button response seems a little slower, but that could be just my imagination, or normal variance. I'm apparently spoiled, since this is my first foray into DirecTV receivers, and I got the 0368 NR from the beginning, and button response seemed certainly acceptable, if not lightning fast, before hooking up the external drive.

Anyway, I no longer have anything in my playlist, or any series in my series manager. So...do I just start rebuilding my series, and see whether the thing records when it is supposed to?

#240 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

So, I just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB external drive, and wanted to check in to make sure the signs are good that it "took". Receiver is plugged back in, I'm getting all channels, etc. Button response seems a little slower, but that could be just my imagination, or normal variance. I'm apparently spoiled, since this is my first foray into DirecTV receivers, and I got the 0368 NR from the beginning, and button response seemed certainly acceptable, if not lightning fast, before hooking up the external drive.

Anyway, I no longer have anything in my playlist, or any series in my series manager. So...do I just start rebuilding my series, and see whether the thing records when it is supposed to?

It "took." The fact that your series links are gone and old recordings are not accessible is the sign. Just setup your series links again and use the box as normal.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...