Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2900 replies to this topic

#2381 OFFLINE   eddiesudz

eddiesudz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Has anyone tried one of these drives yet? They claim that this drive is built to withstand the rigors of 24/7 usage. Kinda makes sense since our boxes are constantly accessing the drive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2382 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Has anyone tried one of these drives yet? They claim that this drive is built to withstand the rigors of 24/7 usage. Kinda makes sense since our boxes are constantly accessing the drive.

Nobody I know has tried them.

Rich

#2383 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I am considering the WD RED for my next RAID setup...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#2384 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Could someone please edit the opening post to include things made in the last 3 years? Otherwise everyone has to wade through 90+ pages of "stuff" trying to find current models that work. It hasn't been updated since 2009.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#2385 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Just looked at them on Amazon. Good price for a 2TB drive, but will the HRs work with a SATA III drive?

Rich

#2386 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I am considering the WD RED for my next RAID setup...

Just read the specs on the Red Caviars and the Green Caviars. The Red Caviars are definitely recommended for RAID setups and the Green Caviars are not recommended for RAIDs. I didn't know that.

Rich

#2387 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Could someone please edit the opening post to include things made in the last 3 years? Otherwise everyone has to wade through 90+ pages of "stuff" trying to find current models that work. It hasn't been updated since 2009.

Should be done. But it is easy just to ask the question you want answered. Somebody will answer you. Personally, I wouldn't wade thru the whole thread to get an answer you can get very quickly by asking.

Rich

#2388 OFFLINE   eddiesudz

eddiesudz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I've got a WD Green 2tb in an Antec case. If I have a program that either has more than 25 programs in a folder or like the Olympics took up a lot of hours per program the DVR stutters on playback in the Whole House mode..... Wonder if it's the drive or how the DVR handles the files? Was thinking I needed a different drive thus prompting the inquiry on the "Red" version. Thanks!

#2389 OFFLINE   eddiesudz

eddiesudz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I've got a WD Green 2tb in an Antec case. If I have a program that either has more than 25 programs in a folder or like the Olympics took up a lot of hours per program the DVR stutters on playback in the Whole House mode..... Wonder if it's the drive or how the DVR handles the files? Was thinking I needed a different drive thus prompting the inquiry on the "Red" version. Thanks!

Should have also mentioned that the drive is not even at 1/2 capacity......

#2390 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Stick to av drives.... DVRs are what they are made for.

#2391 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

If you're using the HR as a server it shouldn't stutter because of capacity. Mine don't. You might try a different external device such as the Thermaltake docking station. If that doesn't help, it might well be the HDD. The external devices that connect the HDD to the HR are the weakest links in the chain. The WD EURS is made specifically for DVRs and if the external device is not the cause of your problems, you might try one of the EURS drives to see if that solves your problem.

Rich

#2392 OFFLINE   Xavier46

Xavier46

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

I was wondering if the following enclosure and drive setup would work as an external hard drive for a HR 24 receiver?

Rosewill RX35-AT-SC SLV Full Aluminum Cover, Metal Tray 3.5" Silver USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure

WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD20EURS

Thank you for your responses and assistance for someone looking to do this for the first time

#2393 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I was wondering if the following enclosure and drive setup would work as an external hard drive for a HR 24 receiver?

Rosewill RX35-AT-SC SLV Full Aluminum Cover, Metal Tray 3.5" Silver USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure

WD AV-GP 2 TB AV Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD20EURS

Thank you for your responses and assistance for someone looking to do this for the first time

Yup, it should work. What model HR do you have? I would have gotten a TT docking station, but that's just my opinion based on using them. They're much easier to install, easy to return if something happens and are quite reliable. The Rosewill should work.

Rich

#2394 OFFLINE   Losi b

Losi b

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I just left BB with a Seagate Backup Plus Pn:1DXAN3-570 model #STCA2000100 2T external drive that I would like to use with my HR34. Will this drive be compatible? I can swap it if there is a better drive, any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
ps, I just didn't feel like reading 90 pages for an answer.

#2395 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I just left BB with a Seagate Backup Plus Pn:1DXAN3-570 model #STCA2000100 2T external drive that I would like to use with my HR34. Will this drive be compatible? I can swap it if there is a better drive, any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
ps, I just didn't feel like reading 90 pages for an answer.

Don't blame you for asking, I would not read any thread that long. We recommend the WD Green Caviars and the new Red Caviars for the HRs. We know they work in all the HRs. I'd go with one of them.

Rich

#2396 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Which in closure would you recommend for it.

#2397 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Which in closure would you recommend for it.

If you want an enclosure, I'd go with the Antec MX-1. My weapon of choice is the Thermaltake docking station. No tools needed. You get everything you need. Go to Amazon or Newegg and check out the Thermaltake docks. Make sure you're looking for a TT BlackX docking station.

Rich

#2398 OFFLINE   Losi b

Losi b

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Don't blame you for asking, I would not read any thread that long. We recommend the WD Green Caviars and the new Red Caviars for the HRs. We know they work in all the HRs. I'd go with one of them.

Rich

Thank you very much Rich.

#2399 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

If you want an enclosure, I'd go with the Antec MX-1. My weapon of choice is the Thermaltake docking station. No tools needed. You get everything you need. Go to Amazon or Newegg and check out the Thermaltake docks. Make sure you're looking for a TT BlackX docking station.

Rich

thanks

#2400 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

You would use the Antec MX-1 with the Thermaltake docking station or just one or the other?

spam firewall