Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3013 replies to this topic

#2421 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Went to pickup a WD AV-GP drive, WD10EURX, but the salesperson offered the WD Caviar Black series as an alternative. Wound up getting the Black WD1002FAEX. Does anyone have comments/concerns about using the WD-Black Caviar devices?

They run hotter and their additional performance features are completely wasted on a dvr.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2422 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

This post was prompted by questions on 3TB drives and the WD Black drives. Ditto on Black being overkill and running hotter, which you want to avoid in AV application...
Update on my WD 3TB AV-GP (WD30EURS) installed in a Rosewill RX-358 U3C v2 enclosure connected to my HR-34. l am happy to report it has been working flawlessly for past 6 weeks. See my previous posts regarding some initial issues, that have remained resolved.
After my reading this thread and my limited experience, I would recommend sticking with the AV-GP series. Here is a link to the WD website that categorizes their drives by intended application: http://m.wdc.com/en/...nternal-storage
I figure if WD markets a drive to be used in a particular application, they are not trying to "upsell''. I assume their intention is to make it easier for the customer to get the right hardware. The correct drive for a particular application will probably result in the best performance. Good performance = satisfied customer = repeat purchases.
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2423 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

They run hotter and their additional performance features are completely wasted on a dvr.....

Don't they cost more, too?

Rich

#2424 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Ordered two 3 tb wd red hd's to go into a Sans Digital MR2UT+ MobileRAID - 2 Bay SATA to eSATA/USB 3.0 RAID 0 / 1 / JBOD / Spanning Enclosure - Silver.

Hope this combo works with my hr 34! Will it?

#2425 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Ordered two 3 tb wd red hd's to go into a Sans Digital MR2UT+ MobileRAID - 2 Bay SATA to eSATA/USB 3.0 RAID 0 / 1 / JBOD / Spanning Enclosure - Silver.

Hope this combo works with my hr 34! Will it?

I can't speak for the Red drives but that's the exact same enclosure I'm using on my HR34 with a pair of Seagate drives.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2426 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

That's encouraging, thanks.

#2427 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

I can't speak for the Red drives but that's the exact same enclosure I'm using on my HR34 with a pair of Seagate drives.

Are you running RAID 0 or 1 ? Have you had the need to replace a drive and how did that work out?
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2428 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Are you running RAID 0 or 1 ? Have you had the need to replace a drive and how did that work out?

On my HR34 I'm running RAID 0, for more space. I have the same enclosure on an HR21 though and I'm running RAID 1 on it. Just to test I've pulled a drive out of the enclosure on the HR21 while it was up running and recording to see what would happen. It didn't miss a beat. I then took that drive, wiped it and stuck it back in the enclosure. Again, didn't skip a beat and just started cloning the other drive.

I've also gone as far as to take each individual drive and boot it up as a stand alone drive on that HR21 and they worked.

I have 3 machines running that same enclosure and no problems on any of them. 2 of the enclosures are the older version that doesn't support over 2TB drives and 1 is the brand new version that supports 3TB drives.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2429 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

I can't get a weaknees 2x2tb raid1 box to work on my new hr 23. I tested it on my new hr34 and it works. Anyone have any advice or insight?

As background, I received one identical weaknees box that was doa and wouldn't work on either unit, the 23 or the 34. It's on it's way back today.

#2430 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I've also gone as far as to take each individual drive and boot it up as a stand alone drive on that HR21 and they worked.

I take that quote to indicate that I can take my current single eSATA drive and insert it to a Sans Digital mr2ut+ along with and identical 2nd drive and run RAID 1, keeping the existing data/recordings on original drive? I understand that the Sans Digital mr2ut+ comes preconfigured to RAID 1 . Is there any additional configuration I need to perform, or should be PnP?

Thanks for your assistance!
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2431 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

I take that quote to indicate that I can take my current single eSATA drive and insert it to a Sans Digital mr2ut+ along with and identical 2nd drive and run RAID 1, keeping the existing data/recordings on original drive? I understand that the Sans Digital mr2ut+ comes preconfigured to RAID 1 . Is there any additional configuration I need to perform, or should be PnP?

Thanks for your assistance!

No, you can't. You have to start out with 2 blank drives and let the enclosure create the array. You can then use the method found on this site to copy your recordings to the new enclosure/array. Do a search on "xfsrestore" and you should find the thread with the steps.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2432 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yeah that is what I kinda expected in the more rational part of my brain, but my hopeful (less rational) brain was being way too optimistic.

In creating the array, is the Sans Digital mr2ut+ connected to my HR-34 while that occurs, or does the array creation occur before it is connected to my DVR?

Thanks again
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2433 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah that is what I kinda expected in the more rational part of my brain, but my hopeful (less rational) brain was being way too optimistic.

In creating the array, is the Sans Digital mr2ut+ connected to my HR-34 while that occurs, or does the array creation occur before it is connected to my DVR?

Thanks again

First make sure RAID 1 is in fact selected via the rotary switch on the back. Then put your blank drives in. Hold the reset button in the back while turning on the power. The moment the lights flash blue, red, purple (or whatever order it is) the array is setup. It takes about 5 seconds I think. From that point on the drives start to mirror each other.

If you're going to place the enclosure in view and want to get rid of the annoying lights, like I do, but don't want to go with black electrical tape check out lightdims.com. They make them in silver and they are cheap.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2434 OFFLINE   drh

drh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Just installed it, 2x3tb wd red, raid 1, in the sans 2 bay raid case. Instruction manual states 1 or 2 tb drive configuration, nothing about 3 tb. It is running on my hr34 now but I wonder at what capacity? Are you using > than 2 tb drives?

I can't see in the hr 34 menu any drive size or hour data, is it someplace in the setup menu?

#2435 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Just installed it, 2x3tb wd red, raid 1, in the sans 2 bay raid case. Instruction manual states 1 or 2 tb drive configuration, nothing about 3 tb. It is running on my hr34 now but I wonder at what capacity? Are you using > than 2 tb drives?

I can't see in the hr 34 menu any drive size or hour data, is it someplace in the setup menu?

The only way to know for sure is to remove it from the HR34 and hook it up to a PC to view the partition sizes. Unfortunately none of the HRs tell you drive size or recording capacity. :(
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2436 OFFLINE   Herzinger

Herzinger

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

On my HR34 I'm running RAID 0, for more space. I have the same enclosure on an HR21 though and I'm running RAID 1 on it.

RunnerFL:
Has your HR21 received the 0x062C update? I wonder if the Sans Digital mr2ut+ is compatible with 62C. As detailed in the 0x062C issues thread, the update has apparently rendered my HR20-700 incompatible with my TenBox TB00 RAID 1 enclosure. Same for RussBarr's Lian Li enclosure. I'll switch to the Sans Digital if it proves compatible with the current software.
Thanks for the tip on the lightdims!

#2437 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

RunnerFL:
Has your HR21 received the 0x062C update? I wonder if the Sans Digital mr2ut+ is compatible with 62C. As detailed in the 0x062C issues thread, the update has apparently rendered my HR20-700 incompatible with my TenBox TB00 RAID 1 enclosure. Same for RussBarr's Lian Li enclosure. I'll switch to the Sans Digital if it proves compatible with the current software.
Thanks for the tip on the lightdims!

Yup, and it's still working fine with the "latest and greatest" release.

Lightdims are awesome! Someone here pointed me to them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2438 OFFLINE   pcnerdman

pcnerdman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Has anyone tried, the TT BlackX docking station with the 3TB red WD30EFRX for an HR34? Thanks

#2439 OFFLINE   SFNSXguy

SFNSXguy

EOE

• DBSTalk Club
  • 514 posts
  • LocationNear San Francisco

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

FYI while lightdims look cool, you don't need them. Just turn the front panel lights off by pressing the left- and right- buttons on the unit's faceplate at the same time -- each press dims them a little until they go off completely. The ON-OFF button stays on, and the others will come back on if the unit restarts (a good way to see when your unit gets an update).
HS
D* user since 11/94

#2440 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

FYI while lightdims look cool, you don't need them. Just turn the front panel lights off by pressing the left- and right- buttons on the unit's faceplate at the same time -- each press dims them a little until they go off completely. The ON-OFF button stays on, and the others will come back on if the unit restarts (a good way to see when your unit gets an update).

I didn't suggest lightdims for use on the DVR's themselves. I suggested lightdims for the lights on eSATA enclosures.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...