Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2943 replies to this topic

#2441 OFFLINE   dhammon2

dhammon2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have been using the following since May 2012:
Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station (ST0005U)
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD20EADS

No problems until a couple of days ago the docking station powered off and now it will not stay powered on, push the power button and it powers up until I release the button and it powers off. Called Theramaltake USA, they said to send it back, but I have to pay shipping. I noticed on Amazon 6 others with the same complaint and a few others on New Egg.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2442 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I have been using the following since May 2012:
Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station (ST0005U)
Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive - WD20EADS

No problems until a couple of days ago the docking station powered off and now it will not stay powered on, push the power button and it powers up until I release the button and it powers off. Called Theramaltake USA, they said to send it back, but I have to pay shipping. I noticed on Amazon 6 others with the same complaint and a few others on New Egg.

I've written several posts about this. I've recommended always pulling the power plug on the docks. For those of you who haven't read my posts about this, let me repeat myself: There is something wrong with the switches and I think it's reprehensible for TT to make you pay shipping to return them.

Rich

#2443 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

There is something wrong with the switches and I think it's reprehensible for TT to make you pay shipping to return them.

Prepaid returns on depot repairs (whether warranty or not) has been something that has been the norm for as long as I can remember. If you had purchased a service contract that included return shipping, that would be a different story.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2444 OFFLINE   dhammon2

dhammon2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I've written several posts about this. I've recommended always pulling the power plug on the docks. For those of you who haven't read my posts about this, let me repeat myself: There is something wrong with the switches and I think it's reprehensible for TT to make you pay shipping to return them.

Rich

I didn't touch the power button until it powered off and I pushed it to try and power it back on.

From Thermaltake USA:
"Please note that the customer is responsible for the cost to ship the defective product back to us, while Thermaltake will pay the shipping of the repaired part back to the customer via UPS ground. Thermaltake will cover the return shipping of item within the first 30 days of purchase if the product has failed or the product may be returned to the vendor for a replacement. If this applies, then a return shipping label will be issued to the customer.
"

#2445 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Prepaid returns on depot repairs (whether warranty or not) has been something that has been the norm for as long as I can remember. If you had purchased a service contract that included return shipping, that would be a different story.

I'm surprised. Can't remember anyone not giving me an RMA number.

Rich

#2446 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I didn't touch the power button until it powered off and I pushed it to try and power it back on.

All it takes is one push and the switch breaks. I've got one that failed in the closed position. Switches are usually designed to fail in the open position.

Rich

#2447 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

For the ultimate in simplicity, go with the Thermaltake. Inserting the drive is exactly like putting bread in a toaster. The Antec takes more effort and the fan is something that could possibly (although not likely) fail.

Is there anything needed other than mating the drive and case and just plugging in ?? Will the HR21 recognize a 2tb drive ??

#2448 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Is there anything needed other than mating the drive and case and just plugging in ?? Will the HR21 recognize a 2tb drive ??

All the HRs will recognize a TT with a 2TB drive in it. There is a protocol for starting the process. You also need an eSATA to eSATA jumper cable that comes with the TT dock and most enclosures. For simplicity, you just can't beat the TT docks. No tools.

Ask more questions if you're not clear about this before you do it.

Rich

#2449 OFFLINE   hsedsie

hsedsie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I took your advice and purchased a TT BlacX and a WD20EURS. Haven't connected it yet but I understand your sequence to connect it. Now I still have some old recordings on the internal drive I need to watch but I would like to see that what I bought will work so I would like to connect the external, try it, and then remove it. What would be the best sequence to power down and remove the external and use the internal again? Thanks for your reply!

#2450 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I took your advice and purchased a TT BlacX and a WD20EURS. Haven't connected it yet but I understand your sequence to connect it. Now I still have some old recordings on the internal drive I need to watch but I would like to see that what I bought will work so I would like to connect the external, try it, and then remove it. What would be the best sequence to power down and remove the external and use the internal again? Thanks for your reply!

All I do when I want to go back to the internal drive is perform a menu reboot and when the front panel lights go out I turn off my eSATA enclosure. In the case of the TT BlacX people suggest pulling the power because the power button is fragile. I haven't had issues with the power button on mine but others have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2451 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

First time you do it, unplug the HR and don't plug the dock in yet. Attach the eSATA to eSATA cable to the HR and then, with the HDD in the dock, plug in the power cord. Wait until the HDD is thru spinning up, you can hold your hand on the top of the HDD and feel it spin up and "burp" when it's done. Then plug in the HR and it should recognize the external HDD. You will see a window on your TV that says the HR is checking your storage device, or words to that effect. Believe RunnerFL when he says the on/off button on the back is fragile. Once you initially use it to turn the dock on, don't use it anymore, pull the plug.

After the first installation, follow RunnerFL's instructions on rebooting. Doesn't work every time, but it does most of the time. If it doesn't work, go back to my original instructions.

Good luck.

Rich

#2452 OFFLINE   hsedsie

hsedsie

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

OK Rich I successfully restarted with the external as you described successfully although it said it was downloading additional software for quite a while but said if I chose to skip to watch DTV it would download later which I did. Then using RunnerFL's method to shut down I came back up and found the old playlist but guide data was basically missing as well as ratings, pictures etc. The guide has been rebuilding since last night. So was this supposed to happen? I thought going back to the internal drive I would find all intact. What would be your method to disconnect the external? Yes I do believe you regarding the switch as the many reviews on the product state.

#2453 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

OK Rich I successfully restarted with the external as you described successfully although it said it was downloading additional software for quite a while but said if I chose to skip to watch DTV it would download later which I did.

That's something that I wouldn't do. Seems like every time I shut down a download in progress it causes problems.

Then using RunnerFL's method to shut down I came back up and found the old playlist but guide data was basically missing as well as ratings, pictures etc. The guide has been rebuilding since last night. So was this supposed to happen?

To be honest, I never go back to the internal drive once I install an external drive. But the Guide Data was probably lost and it does take quite a while to rebuild it. Same thing happens if you take a large drive and put it on/in a different HR. Gotta have patience, it will come back.

I thought going back to the internal drive I would find all intact. What would be your method to disconnect the external?

I'd just shut down the HR using the Menu Restart option (when it starts to reboot pull the plug) and then pull the power cord on the external device and boot up the HR, making sure you wait at least 30 seconds to reboot the HR.

Yes I do believe you regarding the switch as the many reviews on the product state.

What's really wacky about the on/off switch is that it either fails on or fails off. That surprised me. Should have been built to fail off, I would think. I've got one that failed on and I still use it. If it fails off, the dock is unusable.

Rich

#2454 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

OK Rich I successfully restarted with the external as you described successfully although it said it was downloading additional software for quite a while but said if I chose to skip to watch DTV it would download later which I did. Then using RunnerFL's method to shut down I came back up and found the old playlist but guide data was basically missing as well as ratings, pictures etc. The guide has been rebuilding since last night. So was this supposed to happen? I thought going back to the internal drive I would find all intact. What would be your method to disconnect the external? Yes I do believe you regarding the switch as the many reviews on the product state.

guide data, ratings, pictures are all "cached data" that may need to be re-downloaded with each reboot.....

#2455 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

guide data, ratings, pictures are all "cached data" that may need to be re-downloaded with each reboot.....

I don't remember this happening to me unless I did a Guide flush. But I don't remember what I had for dinner last night... :) Thinking about it now, and if you use only the external drive for a few months the internal drive would certainly need to be updated, I would think.

Rich

#2456 OFFLINE   TitanFan

TitanFan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

On my HR34 I'm running RAID 0, for more space. I have the same enclosure on an HR21 though and I'm running RAID 1 on it. Just to test I've pulled a drive out of the enclosure on the HR21 while it was up running and recording to see what would happen. It didn't miss a beat. I then took that drive, wiped it and stuck it back in the enclosure. Again, didn't skip a beat and just started cloning the other drive.

I've also gone as far as to take each individual drive and boot it up as a stand alone drive on that HR21 and they worked.

I have 3 machines running that same enclosure and no problems on any of them. 2 of the enclosures are the older version that doesn't support over 2TB drives and 1 is the brand new version that supports 3TB drives.

So, you are running (2) 3TB disks in a RAID 0 configuration on your HR34 for a total capacity of 6 TB? That's a lot of recordings!!

#2457 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

So, you are running (2) 3TB disks in a RAID 0 configuration on your HR34 for a total capacity of 6 TB? That's a lot of recordings!!

Yes, I am. I've got a bunch of recordings already on there and I'm still at 97% available.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2458 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yes, I am. I've got a bunch of recordings already on there and I'm still at 97% available.

Today, you can buy a 34 with a 3TB drive at Weaknees for "only" $899. Amazing. But, people must buy them. Lemmings.

Rich

#2459 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 429 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

$899... do you then "own" it...

I have 4x3TB drives in RAID5 for a whopping 8.19TiB of data... have recorded tons of stuff including every NFL playoff game padded by 3 hours and still over 90% free space...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#2460 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,779 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

$899... do you then "own" it...

I have 4x3TB drives in RAID5 for a whopping 8.19TiB of data... have recorded tons of stuff including every NFL playoff game padded by 3 hours and still over 90% free space...

What enclosure was it you were using? I forget.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall