Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2900 replies to this topic

#2461 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

$899... do you then "own" it...

Just called them and they don't know! But you're buying a modified HR, so right away that goes against the TOS. Just called ACT and the CSR had to check on that and came back and told me it would be owned. BTW, that price is only for today, then it goes back to its regular price of $999. Sheesh.

I have 4x3TB drives in RAID5 for a whopping 8.19TiB of data... have recorded tons of stuff including every NFL playoff game padded by 3 hours and still over 90% free space...

Minimalist..... :lol:

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2462 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

What enclosure was it you were using? I forget.

Here comes the "boomerang effect": What enclosure are you using? I was just on Newegg and some of them were decently priced. I think I remember you saying it is a Sans Digital model, but I don't remember which model.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 14 January 2013 - 12:44 PM.
spelling mistake

#2463 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Here comes the "boomerang effect": What enclosure are you using? I was just on Newegg and some of them were decently priced. I think I remember you saying it is a Sans Digital model, but I don't remember which model.

Rich

For my 9TB RAID5 setup I was using this one. There were intermittent micro dropouts on some recordings but I couldn't say 100% it was the enclosure's fault though.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I recently went back to this one with 2 3TB drives in a RAID0 array:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2464 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

What enclosure was it you were using? I forget.

Promise SmartStor DS4600.

works flawless so far... been in use for about 9 months...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#2465 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

For my 9TB RAID5 setup I was using this one. There were intermittent micro dropouts on some recordings but I couldn't say 100% it was the enclosure's fault though.

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

I recently went back to this one with 2 3TB drives in a RAID0 array:

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

Geez, I paid ~ $500 each for the 2 RAID enclosures I bought about four years ago.

Rich

#2466 OFFLINE   TitanFan

TitanFan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

$899... do you then "own" it...

I have 4x3TB drives in RAID5 for a whopping 8.19TiB of data... have recorded tons of stuff including every NFL playoff game padded by 3 hours and still over 90% free space...

Unless your disk controller has a fair amount of cache, I would think the RAID 5 parity data calculation & write could cause a performance issue if you're recording a lot of shows at the same time. I can understand data protection for your recording, but I think today's disk drives are more reliable than the DVR, so it's not necessary.

#2467 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Unless your disk controller has a fair amount of cache, I would think the RAID 5 parity data calculation & write could cause a performance issue if you're recording a lot of shows at the same time. I can understand data protection for your recording, but I think today's disk drives are more reliable than the DVR, so it's not necessary.

Agreed, glad to see I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Rich

#2468 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

That's why cheapest is not always best, and as long as the RAID CPU can keep up with writes, there's no problem...

I have tested 5 record / 4 playback with what I have and it works fine on my HR34. and while the drives are pretty reliable, the DVR's are as well in my experience... have had 2 HDD failures and 1 power supply failure in the time I have owned my HR's...

as long as you can keep the drive cool they are very reliable... I just recently retired some 750's that have been running non-stop for more than 6 years in my server's external enclosure.

The reason I use RAID5 is because I just don't trust RAID0/spanning with that many disks to run that long without a failure...

-BAHitman

#2469 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

That's why cheapest is not always best, and as long as the RAID CPU can keep up with writes, there's no problem...

I have tested 5 record / 4 playback with what I have and it works fine on my HR34. and while the drives are pretty reliable, the DVR's are as well in my experience... have had 2 HDD failures and 1 power supply failure in the time I have owned my HR's...

as long as you can keep the drive cool they are very reliable... I just recently retired some 750's that have been running non-stop for more than 6 years in my server's external enclosure.

The reason I use RAID5 is because I just don't trust RAID0/spanning with that many disks to run that long without a failure...

Still, there's always the chance of losing the HR that recorded all the content on the HDDs. Then, you've lost everything. Until D* allows us to use any HR to view content on any HDD recorded within your account, I would not get a five tuner HR and put a huge amount of recordings on it. Just my opinion.

Rich

#2470 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Still, there's always the chance of losing the HR that recorded all the content on the HDDs. Then, you've lost everything. Until D* allows us to use any HR to view content on any HDD recorded within your account, I would not get a five tuner HR and put a huge amount of recordings on it. Just my opinion.

Rich

Yes it's true if the HR dies I lose the content, but I know this and if it happens it happens, and then there's the chance that a software update changes the functionality where it would be possible to do this, and if such should happen, I have a cache of recordings all ready to go to one of my other's if it comes down to that... if not, delete the recordings, and still will have the SL's and other settings stored on the drive...

-BAHitman

#2471 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

My WD20EURS & blacX are still doing great, installed them on 6/23. i love having all this space. i also just added an HR34 and MRV so now I have a 2TB, 1TB, and whatever the HR22 comes standard with.

just wanted to update. the external drive is still going great, it has made my system so much better. thanks again for all of you who helped me with this

#2472 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

just wanted to update. the external drive is still going great, it has made my system so much better. thanks again for all of you who helped me with this

Wonderful! Now if more people would just listen to our recommendations instead of buying unknown external devices, they'd be happy campers too.

Rich

#2473 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Yes it's true if the HR dies I lose the content, but I know this and if it happens it happens, and then there's the chance that a software update changes the functionality where it would be possible to do this, and if such should happen, I have a cache of recordings all ready to go to one of my other's if it comes down to that... if not, delete the recordings, and still will have the SL's and other settings stored on the drive...

Well, you've got enough HRs to do a decent amount of backing up valued content.

Rich

#2474 OFFLINE   hobbes4444

hobbes4444

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thinking of replacing an eSATA drive that's down to a bit under 30% with my HR20-100. I've stuck to 1TB or 1.5TB so far based on recommendations here. Many of the new working set ups involve newer receivers with 2TB drives. Is it safe/reliable to connect a 2TB drive to my HR20-100 (with a TT dock)? Looking at the WD Red or the WD20EURS AV drive.

And if I want to switch back and forth between HDDs (on the same receiver), would this be the appropriate series of steps?

- Unplug the HR.
- Unplug the TT.
- Remove eSATA from HR.
- Swap HDDs.
- Connect eSATA cable to HR.
- Plug in TT and give it several seconds to allow HDD to get up to speed.
- Last, plug in the HR.

#2475 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

if you have one TT dock these steps are not required:
- Remove eSATA from HR.
- Swap HDDs.

#2476 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Thinking of replacing an eSATA drive that's down to a bit under 30% with my HR20-100. I've stuck to 1TB or 1.5TB so far based on recommendations here. Many of the new working set ups involve newer receivers with 2TB drives. Is it safe/reliable to connect a 2TB drive to my HR20-100 (with a TT dock)? Looking at the WD Red or the WD20EURS AV drive.

And if I want to switch back and forth between HDDs (on the same receiver), would this be the appropriate series of steps?

- Unplug the HR.
- Unplug the TT.
- Remove eSATA from HR.
- Swap HDDs.
- Plug in TT and give it several seconds to allow HDD to get up to speed.
- Last, plug in the HR.

In my mind, these 2 BOLDED steps are unnecessary.

menu restart HR
when lights go out pull HR power plug
unplug TT
swap drives
plug in TT and wait 30 secs for drive to spin up
plug in HR

very similar to your process but what I have done for over 5 years and never a problem. I've got 2TB EURS on on 2 different HR2x models. I have no experience with the Red models.

#2477 OFFLINE   hobbes4444

hobbes4444

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Thanks ^ and ^^. Just waiting for any +/- re the 2TB drives with the HR20-100 specifically. I searched and found a bunch of 1TB and 1.5TB, and I have experience with those. BUt I don't recall any 20-100 and 2TB comments.

#2478 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

WDC AV/GP drives are OK for any DVR

#2479 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Literally 100's of people have 2 TB's on HR20's, quite truthfully, I feel it makes absolutely no difference in the dvr manufacturer. I have an HR20-700 with a 2TB EURS/TT combo on it, and 2 HR22-100's with 2TB/TT combos on them...never had an issue with any of them. All of the HR2x series support up to 2TB, and most of us use and/or recommend the EURS drives.

Edited by CCarncross, 24 January 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#2480 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Seagate drives work just as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall