Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3164 replies to this topic

#3101 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,671 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't give models that fail on me a second chance. Anything that isn't designed to be repaired needs to work at least until the warranty expires. There aren't that many moving parts in these drives and any flaws in soldering or connectors shouldn't be dismissed as anomalous as they are built in large part by machines.

What I can't excuse is the people that give something a bad review because they can't make it work due to ignorance or the inability of the vendor to deliver the appropriate product.

Unfortunately, machines are as perfect as the humans who made them.  Every now and then there is a bad batch.  Most of the time this is caught before the product hit the shelfs, but sometime is after the fact.  “stuff” happens.  Unlike popular belief, there are plenty DOA drives sitting on store shelves right now.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3102 OFFLINE   xtc

xtc

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:23 AM

Would this 4TB Seagate drive be fine for an HR34? (The drive inside is actually a ST4000DM000, which is a 5900 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB cache) I would take it out and use it in my Rosewill enclosure. I am currently using a 3TB 7200 RPM Seagate drive inside that Rosewill enclosure, so just wondering if this 5900 RPM drive would cause any issues or will be different in any way?

And is it ok to have 2 different external drives associated with one HR34? If I keep swap these 2 drives inside my Rosewill enclosure back and fourth to view certain shows? Would there be any issues?

Edited by xtc, 22 November 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#3103 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,128 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

Would this 4TB Seagate drive be fine for an HR34? (The drive inside is actually a ST4000DM000, which is a 5900 RPM, SATA 6Gb/s, 64MB cache) I would take it out and use it in my Rosewill enclosure. I am currently using a 3TB 7200 RPM Seagate drive inside that Rosewill enclosure, so just wondering if this 5900 RPM drive would cause any issues or will be different in any way?

And is it ok to have 2 different external drives associated with one HR34? If I keep swap these 2 drives inside my Rosewill enclosure back and fourth to view certain shows? Would there be any issues?

You're sure that's a SATA drive in that thing?  It has USB plastered all over the link you posted.  You can swap externals back and forth without any problems.

Rich

#3104 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have one of those Seagates on my Xbox One, it's not eSATA so it won't work.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3105 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

If the Rosewill enclosure is this one, it does have an esata connector:

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

If the 4TB Seagate drive will work in the Rosewill enclosure, the 5900 (are you sure its not 5400?) should work fine when connected to your HR34.  I have a couple of Thermaltake enclosures that won't recognize a 4TB drive.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0992
DirecTV since 1997

#3106 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,671 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

You're sure that's a SATA drive in that thing?  

All, “common” hard rives have a SATA interface.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#3107 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,671 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

I have one of those Seagates on my Xbox One, it's not eSATA so it won't work.

He is referring to removing the SATA drive to put it in a Rosewell enclosure that has supposedly e-SATA.  I don’t se nothing wrong with this….

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#3108 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

He is referring to removing the SATA drive to put it in a Rosewell enclosure that has supposedly e-SATA.  I don’t se nothing wrong with this….

As long as the enclosure supports 4TB, sure.   Not everything that supports 3TB will support 4TB and above.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3109 OFFLINE   Daybreak

Daybreak

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Howdy,

New Genie HR44-500 using a WD 4TB Purple drive internal without issue. (initialized on Win 7 PC prior to use)

HR24-100 with Antec MX-1 with a 1TB WD AV-GP drive circa 2010 (used on HR20 before this)

All drives and DVR's working good here. :)

#3110 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,128 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

Howdy,

New Genie HR44-500 using a WD 4TB Purple drive internal without issue. (initialized on Win 7 PC prior to use)

HR24-100 with Antec MX-1 with a 1TB WD AV-GP drive circa 2010 (used on HR20 before this)

All drives and DVR's working good here. :)

Welcome to the forum.  Please let us know if any issues arise.

Rich

#3111 OFFLINE   cstelter

cstelter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Hi All,  

I've googled around and haven't really found anything.  Found some reports early on in this thread that sounded similar to my problem ,but that was 5 years ago so not sure how to react to that.

Here's my saga-- any pointers greatly appreciated.

I've been using my trusty HR20-700 for just over 7 years.  I figured the HDD was due to go soon and I've been having problems keeping up with the shows.  So I went out and bought a Fantom GF3B2000EU for about $100 in hopes of upping to a 2TB drive that wasn't 7 years old.

It wen tin fine and rebooted.  I reset my season passes.  The video was good, but occasionally while watching it seemed to stop listening to the remote control.  I'd have to wait 5-10s for the remote to continue working.  Everything else was fine.  After doing research I learned I should have perhaps gotten one with 64MB cache or possibly an AV drive.  Finally I decided to buy a WD20EURS which seemed to be recommended and I picked one up for $80.  I decided to void the warranty on the FD by removing the original HDD (Hitachi it turned out) and putting the new WD AV-GP drive in its place.  

The first reboot took *forever* (30-40minutes) and it was hung on self-check.  Each reboot after also took exceeding long at self-check.  

Viewing video had a pronounced stutter every 3-5s and one show failed to record properly.  It was in the now playing as recording, but when you would try to play it would immediately pop ou.  It was still recording and when I went to live it looked like everything was fine.  But when I tried to skip to start of show, it jumped back to 8AM (this was like 8:30pm) and it had no content.  After invoking double play I was able to get back to the live show, but could never rewind to the start.  After show was done, I rebooted machine and after reboot it was no longer in my play list.

I stopped using the disk after this and pulled it out and mounted it in a PC and tried running spinrite on it.  It kept crashing with an unexpected error.  I booted into vista and ran data lifeguard tools from wd on the drive and it gave me a test failed on short test.

Even though I had bought the drive new, it only had 145 days left on the warranty, but I ordered an RMA which arrived today-- WD20EURX.  This one is looking like it is behaving just like the other.

Where do I go from here?  Advice?  Now I'm questioning if mounting it in the FD enclosure is messing up the WD drives, but I would presume it's only supplying power and a pass-through from the Esata to sata port.  Anyway, I'm extremely frustrated and would appreciate any pointers.

#3112 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

That's real bad luck if you got to dudes in a row, but if it has issues have them send you another till you get one that works...

#3113 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,227 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

yeah ... keep them pestered :)

#3114 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,038 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

I stopped using the disk after this and pulled it out and mounted it in a PC and tried running spinrite on it.  It kept crashing with an unexpected error.  I booted into vista and ran data lifeguard tools from wd on the drive and it gave me a test failed on short test.

Even though I had bought the drive new, it only had 145 days left on the warranty, but I ordered an RMA which arrived today-- WD20EURX.  This one is looking like it is behaving just like the other.

If you connect the newest drive to the computer mainboard (not through the Fantom) and it gags in Spinrite as well, you probably have another bad drive.

It would seem extraordinary that the enclosure could damage the drive unless the power supply is marginal and causing the drive to somehow soil itself.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3115 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,227 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

it would be extraordinaire problem inside of USB HDD enclosure what would physically damage a drive  - it's more likely sci-fi scenario, not a real case

try self-bootable CD with MHDD to pull any info about the drive and it's health; hint - pull full SMART and post it here

Edited by P Smith, 06 December 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#3116 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,128 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hi All,  

I've googled around and haven't really found anything.  Found some reports early on in this thread that sounded similar to my problem ,but that was 5 years ago so not sure how to react to that.

I've been using my trusty HR20-700 for just over 7 years.  I figured the HDD was due to go soon and I've been having problems keeping up with the shows.  So I went out and bought a Fantom GF3B2000EU for about $100 in hopes of upping to a 2TB drive that wasn't 7 years old.

Finally I decided to buy a WD20EURS which seemed to be recommended and I picked one up for $80. 

Where do I go from here?  Advice?  

What you should have done is come here and just ask the question.  No real need to suffer thru pages of posts. 

First, we haven't heard much about the Fantom enclosures, but what I've read hasn't been good.

Second, I wouldn't buy an EURS if they were selling them for a buck.  We've had far too many complaints about them.  (Now several people will pop up and say their EURS is working wonderfully.  That's great for them, but I still wouldn't buy one.)

If you really need an enclosure, you might try one of these.  We do recommend them.  For an HDD I use the EZRX model from WD. I've had no problems with them.  Here's a link.

Rich

#3117 OFFLINE   mocarob

mocarob

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hi All,  

Here's my saga-- any pointers greatly appreciated.

It wen tin fine and rebooted.  I reset my season passes.  The video was good, but occasionally while watching it seemed to stop listening to the remote control.  I'd have to wait 5-10s for the remote to continue working.  Everything else was fine.  After doing research I learned I should have perhaps gotten one with 64MB cache or possibly an AV drive.  

So the only issue you had with the Fantom was the documented slow remote issue?

How much you want for it?

#3118 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,150 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:39 PM

A real (new?) question: 

I am presuming that a drive taken out of an owned unit cannot be used as an external, that is, without losing the use of all recordings and SLs thereon. Nor can an external be swapped in as an internal without rendering what's on the drive inaccessible? Are these assumptions backed by someone's real experience? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3119 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,128 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

A real (new?) question: 

I am presuming that a drive taken out of an owned unit cannot be used as an external, that is, without losing the use of all recordings and SLs thereon. Nor can an external be swapped in as an internal without rendering what's on the drive inaccessible? Are these assumptions backed by someone's real experience? 

Confusing question.  I can see you struggled with it.  Yes, you can remove the internal drive, insert a bigger drive and put the original drive in an external device and use it on the same HR that you recorded the content on.  I have done that several times.  I have also taken 2TB drives out of TT docks and put them in the HR that it was used on and it played as it did when used externally. I did that because of the difficulty involved in putting a larger drive in a 24-100.  I was having problems with the TT dock and just gave up and put the drive inside the owned box.  Not a pleasant or easy job, I can tell you that.  But no matter what you do, the marriage between HDD and HR cannot be dissolved.  In other words, if it was recorded on one HR you can't use that HDD on another HR.

Rich

• juniormaj likes this

#3120 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,227 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

for those who are concern what drive to buy, you must read it:

https://www.backblaz...e-should-i-buy/

and this

https://www.backblaz...september-2014/

#3121 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

Confusing question.  I can see you struggled with it.  Yes, you can remove the internal drive, insert a bigger drive and put the original drive in an external device and use it on the same HR that you recorded the content on.  I have done that several times.  I have also taken 2TB drives out of TT docks and put them in the HR that it was used on and it played as it did when used externally. I did that because of the difficulty involved in putting a larger drive in a 24-100.  I was having problems with the TT dock and just gave up and put the drive inside the owned box.  Not a pleasant or easy job, I can tell you that.  But no matter what you do, the marriage between HDD and HR cannot be dissolved.  In other words, if it was recorded on one HR you can't use that HDD on another HR

Thanks, but it's not clear from the above that I will retain and be able to access recordings by moving the internal to an external position. (Of course on same box. I am very clear that there's no chance I can access anything on a different IRD.)

#3122 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks, but it's not clear from the above that I will retain and be able to access recordings by moving the internal to an external position. (Of course on same box. I am very clear that there's no chance I can access anything on a different IRD.)

Yes you can but why on earth would you? Seriously curios why it's even a thought?

#3123 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,155 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

A real (new?) question: 

You can move the drives from internal to external and external to internal all day long and not lose content as long as you are using the same DVR each time.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3124 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

You can move the drives from internal to external and external to internal all day long and not lose content as long as you are using the same DVR each time.

Thank you. 

Why do I want to, Inky? Because I have a lot of shows on the internal that I may not be able to re-download. The internal HD is going bad, so I will replace it with a 2 TB drive. If I am not able to get those shows again, I can just external the wonky internal and hope for the best. At least I know now I'll have a shot at it. 

#3125 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

How will you boot into the external if the internal is still in place?  Won't the DVR boot to it first?  Why not copy the programs from the internal to the external before installing it into the DVR?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...