Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3157 replies to this topic

#2501 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

WD20000CSRTL - I know is in stock
WD20EURS - not sure nothing shows up on site if it is or isn't available

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2502 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

The EURS drives are made for DVRs.

Rich

#2503 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Amazon has it on sale at a decent price. Here's a link.

Rich

#2504 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Rich. If I can't get the EURS does the WD Green Retail kit one work?
I can't find the EURS locally.

#2505 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Excellent, what I thought since there doesn't seem to be an option.

I only had 2 identical unopened WD 3 TB Red drives around and used them in the Sans Unit and it will not format I get an error "Diagnostic Code - 75-411" when first booting to my HR-24.

I knew it wouldn't detect all 3TB but I thought it would at least format it to 2 TB. Is that the main reason for the error or something else? I don't want to go through 63 pages of working esata setups so if I were to go to a brick and mortar store what 2 - 2TB drives should I get? Any of the WD Greens?

I believe people have posted in the past that their 3TB was formatted to 2TB but those weren't RAID setups so I'm not sure how yours should act. Did you hook it up to a PC first to make sure it is definitely a RAID 1 array?

The 75- code definitely points to an issue with the enclosure. Here's a list of the codes for future reference.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167420
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2506 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

thanks again RunnerFL and Rich!
I had the WD 3 TB Red drives for my Synology Diskstation and thought I would try but it looks like a RAID 1 Enclosure with 2 - WD30EFRX (3TB) will not work on an HR24-500

So, I took out two of my WD20EARS drives from my synology diskstation, put them in to the RAID 1 enclosure and reset the enclosure. Turned on HR24-500 and it formatted it and is now getting Guide Data.

a while ago someone (probably Rich) mentioned the jumpers on the WD20EARS, is that the case? If for some reason I need to put the jumpers on (4/5??) will that cause a reformat?

If one (WD20EARS) fails I have 8 others to swap out :-)

Edited by spunkyvision, 23 February 2013 - 04:49 PM.
spelling

#2507 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

thanks again RunnerFL and Rich!
I had the WD 3 TB Red drives for my Synology Diskstation and thought I would try but it looks like a RAID 1 Enclosure with 2 - WD30EFRX (3TB) will not work on an HR24-500

So, I took out two of my WD20EARS drives from my synology diskstation, put them in to the RAID 1 enclosure and reset the enclosure. Turned on HR24-500 and it formatted it and is now getting Guide Data.

a while ago someone (probably Rich) mentioned the jumpers on the WD20EARS, is that the case? If for some reason I need to put the jumpers on (4/5??) will that cause a reformat?

If one (WD20EARS) fails I have 8 others to swap out :-)

You don't need the jumpers on any HDDs anymore as far as I know. The WD retail kit apparently has EARS drives in them. I've been using EARS and EARX drives for quite a while with no failures (I did have one problem with putting an EARS drive in a TT dock, but I'm not sure if the dock or the EARS drive was at fault. In any case, the EARS was replaced by an EARX and works quite well. (Still don't know if that TT dock was bad, I have several of them laying around and don't know which one it was.)

We used to have to put the jumpers on the WD drives, but that changed a couple years ago. Right after I bought a bag full of them..... :lol:

Rich

#2508 OFFLINE   spunkyvision

spunkyvision

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Figure (buying a bunch and not needing them now) :-)

So far so good with raid1 enclosure and drives.
Thanks all

#2509 OFFLINE   alcatholic

alcatholic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Update on my WD 3TB AV-GP (WD30EURS) installed in a Rosewill RX-358 U3C v2 enclosure connected to my HR-34. l am happy to report it has been working flawlessly for past 6 weeks. See my previous posts regarding some initial issues, that have remained resolved.

I've just ordered this exact combination from NewEgg. Well, I didn't get the U3C version of the Rosewill enclosure, just the USB 2 version. Why'd you go with USB 3?

Thank you!

#2510 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

I've just ordered this exact combination from NewEgg. Well, I didn't get the U3C version of the Rosewill enclosure, just the USB 2 version. Why'd you go with USB 3?

Thank you!

The USB version doesn't matter since you're using eSATA.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2511 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thank you!

To be honest, I don't know. That said, I am guessing that the USB 2 model was not the V2, at the time I made my purchase. When I bought mine I remember there was both a RX-358 and a RX-358 U3C. The U3C supported 3 TB, the other did not. Maybe Rosewill introduced the 3TB support on the USB 3 model first, and later on the USB 2 model (hence the V2 suffix to the model number?). I do know I was careful to pick a model that supported a 3 TB drive. That is what drove my choice, not the USB 3. Looks like you saved $20 with the USB 2 model. Good job!

Let us know how it works.

I am happy to report my setup is still running nearly perfectly. I had one more instance where a recording would go black, for a few seconds and then come back (see my earlier post for a more complete description). However, I have also read in other forums, unrelated to external drives, users reporting the exact same behavior. So I am doubtful it has anything to do with external drives in general or my particular setup, given my 99+% success rate. My setup is on my main DVR and occasionally record 3 shows simultaneously (particularly with show times overlapping), while watching a fourth live or previously recorded. It handles the I/O just fine.

Edited by tictok, 02 March 2013 - 07:04 AM.

HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2512 OFFLINE   tictok

tictok

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

As a side note to my above post - this an example of how careful one needs to be about model numbers/ designations. I know in the past I have made errors when buying after comparison shopping that I did not realize that a model number was slightly different, such as in this case RX-358 vs RX-358 V2 vs RX-358 U3C. Google any one of these 3 model numbers, and any or all 3 will be in the results.

As the saying goes "Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! "
HR34-700/AMI-21
HDMI to Sony KDL-60EX700

HR24-200
HDMI to AOC L26W661

#2513 OFFLINE   CNI Dawg

CNI Dawg

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Does anybody know why my DirecTV HR24 is slow with eSATA 2TB external WD HDD when switching from recorded programs back to normal TV or to guide?
It has a long pause, 15-20 seconds, before switch is complete.

Do I have a setup problem I've overlooked?

Same thing happens with my other HR24 and an eSATA 1TB external HDD in the other TV room

Both were much faster without the external HDD attached via eSATA interface

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

TIA
-CNI Dawg

Edited by CNI Dawg, 03 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#2514 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

CNI Dawg, You'll need to give more info. Are the drives full, how old are the drives, have you run diagnostics on the drives? Are you using the recommended WD drives? Are you using the recommended drive enclosures? Did the slowdown happen immediately after connecting the externals? Do you have all the settings identical between the internal and external drives, native on, same resolutions, etc..?

Edited by CCarncross, 04 March 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#2515 OFFLINE   franklin_planner

franklin_planner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

WD 3TB EURS AV-GP with TT dock on HR-34. No problems either.

#2516 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hooked this one up with HR-24 and works. Doesn't come with esata cable however. Buy separately. Also can be used as usb2 drive, cable included. Micronet Technology Fantom GreenDrive 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#2517 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Hooked this one up with HR-24 and works. Doesn't come with esata cable however. Buy separately. Also can be used as usb2 drive, cable included. Micronet Technology Fantom GreenDrive 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA

We should wait for more reports and few months of using before final recommendation ...

#2518 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Have heard good things and bad things about the Fantom line. I don't think I'd buy one.

Rich

#2519 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

We should wait for more reports and few months of using before final recommendation ...

Yup. Still don't think I'd buy one. Just an opinion.

Rich

#2520 OFFLINE   deerewright

deerewright

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Just wanted to post my successful setup, thanks to recommendations here:

HR44 Genie
Sans Digital MobileRAID MR2UT+ with two Western Digital Green WD30EZRX 3TB hard drives.

I set up the enclosure as RAID 1, plugged-in eSATA, powered on enclosure, then powered on the Genie. The Genie would not recognize the external; it just kept booting to the internal HDD.

I then attached the MR2UT+ to my windows 7 and initialized the drives with drive manager, and confirmed it was showing 3TB. Afterwards, I reattached to the HR44, and it booted to the external fine. So far so good, running great for a week. I have even confirmed the RAID1 by pulling each drive, booting with other, making changes, and then rebuilding the RAID. Works perfectly!

The only complaint I have is the noise of the fan on the MR2UT+. It's not really noticeable except at night when the kids are asleep, and house is quiet ;)

I also wish there were a way to monitor the health/temperature of the drives.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...