Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3053 replies to this topic

#2521 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

The noise is good thing for married couple with kids, exactly night time, when activity of kids goes down and adult could have some joy  ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2522 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

Uh....OK

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#2523 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

opinions on this drive for a hr22-100 OR hr24-100......it's currently $84.99 ("shell shocker deal")......

WD20EZRX

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236404

#2524 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

opinions on this drive for a hr22-100 OR hr24-100......it's currently $84.99 ("shell shocker deal")......

WD20EZRX

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236404

looks like you are the first who would try it; don't forget to post your result here

Edited by P Smith, 29 April 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#2525 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

looks like you are the first who would try it; don't forget to post your result here

Got a lot of bad reviews.  

Rich

#2526 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Got a lot of bad reviews.  

Rich

much more favorable here....

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_ob_title_ce

#2527 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

would these work better with hr22-100 OR hr24-100?

WD20EARX

WD20EURS
http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

#2528 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

much more favorable here....

I think NewEgg is a bit more techy than Amazon. 

Rich

#2529 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

would these work better with hr22-100 OR hr24-100?

WD20EARX

WD20EURS
http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

Don't know about the 22-100, never had one that worked.  I have a couple of 24-100s working quite well with the EARX.  The EURS is made specifically for DVRs, but I have seen some posts where the poster coudn't get them to work with their HRs.  I'd go with the EARX, personally.

Rich

#2530 OFFLINE   Bazza

Bazza

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

LONG time lurker here (many years!).

I can verify that this works great. I have had the 2TB WD20EARS in a Thermaltake dock running for over week now with no issues in my HR21-700 (0x457). Quite the bargain. Got the pair for $113 from Newegg. No tax & free shipping!

I did have a minor issue initially. It took several re-boots before it finally recognized and formatted the drive. I was about to give up, when on reboot #6 it suddenly worked.

But with that "plan", you will lose anything recorded on that hard drive. And being 2T in size, that could be quite a lot of programming.
If you have any doubt of the drive's longevity, you might be better off going with the EVDS drive now.

Just glad it's not me... :)

Rich

Checking in over two years later.  The 2TB WD20EARS drive has worked flawlessly.  Not a single issue!   I havent been around, because I havent had any problems.

Thought you might all want to know!

#2531 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Is there a current list of external drives that will work with the HR20's? I have been reading the last few pages here, but I don't see a definitive list like there used to be. I currently have a WD 1TB "My DVR Expander" drive (WDG1S1000VN) that I've been using on a HR20-700 since Aug. 2009. It's working fine, but I'm planning to move it tomorrow, as I'm getting a Genie installed in the family room, where the HR20 currently resides. The external drive has literally not been unplugged for years, I think it may have only been unplugged once since install, and I'm concerned that it might not survive the move to the bedroom.

I noticed that the external drives being talked about recently here are all unenclosed, and so you also have to get some kind of docking station or enclosure. Is that the norm now? Does the WD enclosed unit that I see now on Amazon, which is the WDBABT0010HBK, still work with the DirecTV DVR's? Are there reasons, other than more storage space, that I shouldn't go with this if I need a replacement?

Lastly, are there different external drives recommended for the Genie (I assume I'm getting a HR34 in Philly market) than for the HR2x's? Thanks.

#2532 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

The recommendations have not really changed.  Most people are recommending a separate enclosure and bare drive to put in it because they are substantially cheaper for the same capacity and functionality....for the most part, you never know what drive is actually in the enclosure.

#2533 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is there a current list of external drives that will work with the HR20's? I have been reading the last few pages here, but I don't see a definitive list like there used to be. I currently have a WD 1TB "My DVR Expander" drive (WDG1S1000VN) that I've been using on a HR20-700 since Aug. 2009. It's working fine, but I'm planning to move it tomorrow, as I'm getting a Genie installed in the family room, where the HR20 currently resides. The external drive has literally not been unplugged for years, I think it may have only been unplugged once since install, and I'm concerned that it might not survive the move to the bedroom.

I noticed that the external drives being talked about recently here are all unenclosed, and so you also have to get some kind of docking station or enclosure. Is that the norm now? Does the WD enclosed unit that I see now on Amazon, which is the WDBABT0010HBK, still work with the DirecTV DVR's? Are there reasons, other than more storage space, that I shouldn't go with this if I need a replacement?

Lastly, are there different external drives recommended for the Genie (I assume I'm getting a HR34 in Philly market) than for the HR2x's? Thanks.

For the HR20-700 (I've never had a 20-100 that worked) we recommend a Western Digital Green Caviar HDD coupled with a Thermaltake docking station.  Here's a link to a WD drive that I use and a link to the TT dock.  They will both work with a Genie.

Rich

#2534 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

The recommendations have not really changed.  Most people are recommending a separate enclosure and bare drive to put in it because they are substantially cheaper for the same capacity and functionality....for the most part, you never know what drive is actually in the enclosure.

On a side note, I just had an EADS crap out on me.   Got about 3 years out of it.  First one of the Greens to go kaput.

Rich

#2535 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! What are the chances that my current external drive survives a power-down, disconnect, move and reconnection to the HR20-700? Am I right to be concerned that it won't work?

#2536 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,841 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! What are the chances that my current external drive survives a power-down, disconnect, move and reconnection to the HR20-700? Am I right to be concerned that it won't work?

The DVR may want to run a quick fsck (check disk) on the drive but that shouldn't be a big deal.  Powering down/up doesn't cause failures. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2537 OFFLINE   dhammon2

dhammon2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thought I would give an update , I purchased a Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA II 32 MB hard drive and a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station, April 2012. Worked great for about 7 months then the docking station would not power up, even though I only used the power button twice. Thermaltake support  just said ship it back and they would send a replacement. This docking station was highly recommended here, and 4 stars on Amazon, so I ordered a new one from Amazon so I could get back up sooner and I could use the one sent back from Thermaltake as a backup when it arrived. This one has been working fine ever since.

However, a few days ago after moving the DVR and external setup to the bedroom the DVR would not boot with the external drive attached. This didn't have anything to do with the docking station but while trying to figure out the cause of the problem  I opened the box from Therlmaltake and the replacement docking staion would not power up.  I took the power cord from the other docking station and the new one powered up. So I guess the problem with the first docking stations and it's replacement was the power cord or brick. I searched Amazon customer reviews and found several reporting the power button stopped working,  I don't know how wide spead the problem is  (47 out of 376 reviews were 1 star not sure how many were power issues) but thought I would pass this along since 2 out of the 3 I received had a power problem.

#2538 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,679 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

The only problem I've had with the TT dock has been with the on/off button.  So far, it's only happened twice.  But, they're cheap, and I guess you get what you pay for.  I have to say, I have had less problems with the docks than any other external device.  Thanx for the update, not many people do that.

Rich

#2539 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Would this drive work for the Hr44?

http://www.bestbuy.c...65#tab=overview

Thanks

#2540 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,883 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Would this drive work for the Hr44?

http://www.bestbuy.c...65#tab=overview

Thanks

sure, why not? It's normal SATA bare drive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...