Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3053 replies to this topic

#2541 OFFLINE   whorne

whorne

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the input. I saw alot of discussion on here about the EARS/X and EURS version but little on this particular unit.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2542 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Would this drive work for the Hr44?

http://www.bestbuy.c...65#tab=overview

Thanks

Sure, but its a bare drive, and you'll need an enclosure or an owned HR44 to use it as opening a leased DVR is technically a no-no.

#2543 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'm looking for a 4 bay eSATA enclosure to use with my new HR44. Has anybody tried this one: http://www.amazon.co...nclosure 4 bay?

#2544 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'm looking for a 4 bay eSATA enclosure to use with my new HR44. Has anybody tried this one: http://www.amazon.co...nclosure 4 bay?

That enclosure has no RAID capabilities and requires the eSATA port support a port multiplier.  The HR's do not support a port multiplier.  You'll need to go with an enclosure that has built in RAID capabilities.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2545 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Ok I missed that. I will probably end getting th SansDigital box you suggested, but funds are extremely tight right now and I want to make this move before I get much recorded on the internal drive.

What about this one: http://www.amazon.co...ywords=TR4UTBPN

Btw, I didn't want to bother you with another PM. That's why I just posted here. I really appreciate your time answering my questions.

Edited by toricred, 17 July 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#2546 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

Since the new models HR34/44 begin support drives/logical disks more then 2 TB, could the changes cover support of multiple HDD via internal port multiplier without RAID boxes ?

I would try the box just to test the theory ...

#2547 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Ok I missed that. I will probably end getting th SansDigital box you suggested, but funds are extremely tight right now and I want to make this move before I get much recorded on the internal drive.

Btw, I didn't want to bother you with another PM. That's why I just posted here. I really appreciate your time answering my questions.

it's a gamble if read reviews, 50-50

actually the point of low budget power brick what couldn't power more then one drive ... well get both, test them and return that what is not work for you

#2548 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

That one sounds like it should work but I don't recall anyone here saying they've given one a shot.  You'd be the first so make sure you let us know.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2549 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Since the new models HR34/44 begin support drives/logical disks more then 2 TB, could the changes cover support of multiple HDD via internal port multiplier without RAID boxes ?

I would try the box just to test the theory ...

There is no port multiplier in an HR34/HR44.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2550 OFFLINE   toricred

toricred

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

It looks like this is the same as one of the ones RunnerFL recommended, but in silver. It's a bit less expensive than the black one. Do you think this would be a safer bet?
http://www.amazon.co...pd_sim_sbs_pc_1

#2551 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

It looks like this is the same as one of the ones RunnerFL recommended, but in silver. It's a bit less expensive than the black one. Do you think this would be a safer bet?
http://www.amazon.co...pd_sim_sbs_pc_1

Yeah, that would work fine.  The only difference between that one and the one I use is the color.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2552 OFFLINE   utlimate_ed

utlimate_ed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hey gang, I've followed this thread with interest in preparation for my upgrade.  So, today I received a genie box (an R34, but whatever) and based on reading along here, I had a Blacx and a 3TB WD green drive ready to go.

After going through the setup on the DVR and making sure it was updated, I shut it down, unplugged it, and then followed the procedure on the 1st page to hook up the external drive.

My question now is - how can I tell that it's actually using the external drive?  I didn't have anything recorded on the internal drive, so my list has no shows.  I hadn't setup any series links since I knew they would be tied to the internal drive and have to be redone anyway.

I've been digging through the menus, but there's nothing that I can see that addresses the hard drive.  I remember with older software, there was a place in the menus that would show you your approximate hours of recording capacity.  Does that still exist somewhere?

#2553 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

BlacX dock has a LEDs on top, if it lite only blue color, then the drive is not working for DVR, if it regularly blinking by red LED with blue one, then it's working as external

it's 100% guarantied test, as the DVR doing buffering all time and do recording to a drive

Edited by P Smith, 20 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#2554 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hey gang, I've followed this thread with interest in preparation for my upgrade.  So, today I received a genie box (an R34, but whatever) and based on reading along here, I had a Blacx and a 3TB WD green drive ready to go.

After going through the setup on the DVR and making sure it was updated, I shut it down, unplugged it, and then followed the procedure on the 1st page to hook up the external drive.

My question now is - how can I tell that it's actually using the external drive?  I didn't have anything recorded on the internal drive, so my list has no shows.  I hadn't setup any series links since I knew they would be tied to the internal drive and have to be redone anyway.

I've been digging through the menus, but there's nothing that I can see that addresses the hard drive.  I remember with older software, there was a place in the menus that would show you your approximate hours of recording capacity.  Does that still exist somewhere?

The only way to know 100% for sure is to record something with the external setup then power down and disconnect the external and boot up.  If your recording isn't there then you were using the external.  You can do it in reverse as well, record with external disconnected and hook it back up,  etc.

The red LED on the doc will sometimes flash even if it is not being used so that's not a good indicator.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2555 OFFLINE   utlimate_ed

utlimate_ed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

The only way to know 100% for sure is to record something with the external setup then power down and disconnect the external and boot up.  If your recording isn't there then you were using the external.  You can do it in reverse as well, record with external disconnected and hook it back up,  etc.

The red LED on the doc will sometimes flash even if it is not being used so that's not a good indicator.

I'll probably have to give that a try then.  My red light on the dock has been flashing pretty actively after the system came back up and running, so I was hopeful that indicated it was being used.

Thanks for the info.  Guess the that bit in the menus showing the approximate hours of available space disappeared some time back.

#2556 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'll probably have to give that a try then.  My red light on the dock has been flashing pretty actively after the system came back up and running, so I was hopeful that indicated it was being used.

Thanks for the info.  Guess the that bit in the menus showing the approximate hours of available space disappeared some time back.

It's just telling you as  a fact - you're using it, external drive. :)

#2557 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

The Directv DVRs that were introduced back starting in 2006(HR2x series) have always just displayed % free sapce available.  You may be thinking of Tivo, at one time I believe they may have had approximate hours as a space indicator.

#2558 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

The Directv DVRs that were introduced back starting in 2006(HR2x series) have always just displayed % free sapce available.  You may be thinking of Tivo, at one time I believe they may have had approximate hours as a space indicator.

I'm pretty sure he is 'spoiled' by dish DVRs, perhaps OTA kind: model TR-50 .

#2559 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

The HR's have never shown the approximate hours, that's TiVo.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2560 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

It's just telling you as  a fact - you're using it, external drive. :)

You don't know it as a fact...  The only way to know for a fact is to pull the drive.  I can put a drive in a DocX that's not hooked up to anything but power and the red LED will flash all day.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...