Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3206 replies to this topic

#3176 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,134 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:33 PM

Sorry, im not savy to all this. What is an "active cooled enclosure" opposed to "most already built in units"?

So is there a popular Enclosure and brand HDD that are the go-to's?

Thank you

active cooled means it has a fan(s) to keep the HDD cool as opposed as just having vents.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3177 OFFLINE   TheJoe

TheJoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSanta clarita

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

Last question.... is there a recommendation for 2tb HDD?  one better than another?   Does RPM matter? Also does choosing the hdd as sata 1/2/3 matter?  im guessing 3

Edited by TheJoe, 05 December 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#3178 OFFLINE   TheJoe

TheJoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSanta clarita

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:17 PM

Im thinking of the Western Digital RED since its known for DVR's and long term recording like security systems

http://www.amazon.co...Western Digital

#3179 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,705 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

I am running 4tb red drive and have been very happy.

#3180 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:11 AM

Im thinking of the Western Digital RED since its known for DVR's and long term recording like security systems

http://www.amazon.co...Western Digital

Yup, that will work, I prefer the Green Caviars, but that's just a personal preference.  I'd also suggest considering the ThermalTake BlackX dock as an external device.  No fans, no tools needed to install the HDD, just put it in the dock and you're set.  Never had a heat issue with the docks, nor a dust build up issue and I've been using them for years.  I own all my DVRs and the only external HDD I have is on a 24-200, which is a DVR that is a real PITA to install an internal drive in because of the sled that holds the HDD. I'm using the TT dock with that and have a WD EZRX 2TB in it.  

Rich

#3181 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

I am running 4tb red drive and have been very happy.

What enclosure are you using with the 4 Tb?

I currently have a Black-X dock on my Genie but the specs say that the max supported is 2 TB

I have a 6 Tb WD red drive on the way

#3182 OFFLINE   buist

buist

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Dazed and Confuzed:

I have a 4TB WD Green drive that is working fine with a Black-X. There may be different firmware or hardware versions of the Black-X, but in my case it works perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Tim

My Setup: DirecTv HR34-700 Family Room, HR24-100 Master Bedroom, C41 Family Room, SWM-13 LNB

#3183 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

Dazed and Confuzed:

I have a 4TB WD Green drive that is working fine with a Black-X. There may be different firmware or hardware versions of the Black-X, but in my case it works perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks!

I checked on the Thermaltake web site, it now states:

"Supports all 2.5" & 3.5" SATA I/II/III hard drives in ALL Capacities"

Although most of the resellers still show 2 Tb as max capacity even though the part numbers are the same.

I'll give it a go.

Now to reread the "Removing/Replacing/Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]" thread and brush up on my Linux skills.

• buist likes this

#3184 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

Thanks!

I checked on the Thermaltake web site, it now states:

"Supports all 2.5" & 3.5" SATA I/II/III hard drives in ALL Capacities"

Although most of the resellers still show 2 Tb as max capacity even though the part numbers are the same.

I'll give it a go.

Now to reread the "Removing/Replacing/Copying Hard Drive of HR2* Receiver [Photo Tutorial]" thread and brush up on my Linux skills.

This has been happening with TT docks and devices since we started using them.  The only way to tell is to use them.

Rich

#3185 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

This has been happening with TT docks and devices since we started using them.  The only way to tell is to use them.

Rich

Understand, I'll report back when (or if) I get the drive up and running.

MT

#3186 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Understand, I'll report back when (or if) I get the drive up and running.

MT

Thing is, how do you tell if you have a...say a 4TB drive in the dock and how do you know it's functioning at 4TBs instead of 3TBs? There's really no way to tell without putting the HDD on a computer and...I really don't know how you'd go about finding an answer. RunnerFL could probably tell us...

Rich

#3187 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,721 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:18 AM

Anyone who would install ex2fs driver under Windows, could check size of partitions the DVR's drive. Or load/use any Linux to check the HDD.

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#3188 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

Thing is, how do you tell if you have a...say a 4TB drive in the dock and how do you know it's functioning at 4TBs instead of 3TBs? There's really no way to tell without putting the HDD on a computer and...I really don't know how you'd go about finding an answer. RunnerFL could probably tell us...

Rich

Anyone who would install ex2fs driver under Windows, could check size of partitions the DVR's drive. Or load/use any Linux to check the HDD.

Thought I would follow the instructions on copy/replacing a hard drive and then check it with Acronis True Image. It will be interesting to see if it can see the partition.

If not I'll boot Ubuntu on my system and see if the entire disk is partitioned or I have a media server running NAS4Free and I'll hook it up to that.

MT

#3189 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

Rich

The OS would report the partitions and sizes.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3190 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:02 PM

You don't need a driver at all.  In fact I'd advise against installing one.  If you're using Windows you can see the partitions and their sizes in the drive manager and with OS X you can see them in the Drive Utility.   If you install drivers that allow you to read/write the data, as you suggest, you run the risk of messing things up.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3191 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,721 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

by default it's RO access

#3192 OFFLINE   CBNAX

CBNAX

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUpland, California

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

New to this form but i have been reading post for quite a while now.   

In the last few post the 4TB drive has been mentioned but most of you have stated your using a dock for it instead of just a plug and play configuration from the drive enclosure to the Genie( HR34.)   I ask because I bought a drive from DVRDaddy for this purpose and while it installed great, it froze my DVR up after 10 minutes of playing.   I tried resetting this 3 times and it froze in 5 min the subsequent times.   I packed it up and sent it back.   But if reading this last post correctly the WD 4TB red drive or green drive should work, correct?   

#3193 OFFLINE   CBNAX

CBNAX

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:38 AM

I checked on Amazon for the Thermaltake  dock and while there are a number of people that rave about it, there are also a number of reports of the dock stop working in 1-3 months.   In all of the post I have read on here, no one has ever mentioned the BlackX dock stop working.   I realize its mechanical and all mechanical things can fail but just curios if any of you have had to replace the dock?

#3194 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:57 AM

I checked on Amazon for the Thermaltake  dock and while there are a number of people that rave about it, there are also a number of reports of the dock stop working in 1-3 months.   In all of the post I have read on here, no one has ever mentioned the BlackX dock stop working.   I realize its mechanical and all mechanical things can fail but just curios if any of you have had to replace the dock?

Could be, if you will use it as workbench during developing SW for get/put info to different drives, inserting & removing to/from the dock;

totally different usage for DVR - you did insert HDD once and there are no more mechanical actions.

Actually, you should relay to the forum reports/review - this is relevant info for you. As you never know what people doing with the dock on other forums/sites.

Edited by P Smith, 01 January 2016 - 02:57 AM.

#3195 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

The biggest problem with the dock is the power button.  While using it on your Genie you won't be powering it on and off so the power button going bad really isn't an issue.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3196 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

New to this form but i have been reading post for quite a while now.   

In the last few post the 4TB drive has been mentioned but most of you have stated your using a dock for it instead of just a plug and play configuration from the drive enclosure to the Genie( HR34.)   I ask because I bought a drive from DVRDaddy for this purpose and while it installed great, it froze my DVR up after 10 minutes of playing.   I tried resetting this 3 times and it froze in 5 min the subsequent times.   I packed it up and sent it back.   But if reading this last post correctly the WD 4TB red drive or green drive should work, correct?   

Yup, the red drive or green (now blue) drives should work.  I'd stay away from those all-in-one eSATA devices.  Lots of problems reported over the years with them.  

Rich

#3197 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

I've posted about this many times in several of the overly long eSATA threads.  I don't expect anyone to actually read all the posts on those threads, too many, too confusing and as you go back the threads are filled with outdated information.  But to address your question:  Yeah, they do fail.  Like most of the external devices they're cheap to buy and cheaply made and their performance suffers from the cheapness.  The TT docks have always had one glaring weakness, the on/off button.  Simple way to deal it?  Don't use it.  Use it and you'll find your dock will go dead when the button fails.  I've had this happen several times.  And to top off the problem, you can't jump the switch out so that it stays in the on position all the time (I couldn't figure out how to do it, anyway.)  If you have to shut the dock down, pull the power cord rather than using the on/off switch.  

Aside from the on/off switch, there is the problem of seating the HDD properly.  Use a flashlight and examine the connector inside the dock.  You can easily see how to properly seat the HDD.  Put more simply, you can't just drop the HDD in the dock and expect it to work, the HDD needs to be securely seated.  If you can easily lift the HDD out of the dock, you're not seating it correctly.  You should expect the dock and HDD to be locked and if the HDD is lifted the dock should follow the HDD.  

Once you get a dock working you can expect many hours of use from it.  They really don't just fail.

Hope that answers your question.  We've always recommended the docks because of their simplicity.  Other devices (also cheap) have fans in them and that's just another point of failure.  I've never had an HDD adversely affected by a dock, no dust buildup, no heat issues.  

Rich

#3198 OFFLINE   CBNAX

CBNAX

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I'll be ordering the TT dock and the WD drive today from Amazon and get my Genie expanded.  

#3199 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,160 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I'll be ordering the TT dock and the WD drive today from Amazon and get my Genie expanded.  

Please let us know how you make out.

Rich

#3200 OFFLINE   CBNAX

CBNAX

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

HI guys .   I am happy to report that I got the TT dock and the WD red 4TB drive and all is working well.   One thing I didn't realize  and for any one else ordering it, is that the dock comes with a eSATA cable.  I bought one that I currently don't need but will keep it because who knows I might upgrade my HR20 as well.     Special thanks to Rich for all of your input.

• buist likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...