Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3206 replies to this topic

#3201 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,161 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

HI guys .   I am happy to report that I got the TT dock and the WD red 4TB drive and all is working well.   One thing I didn't realize  and for any one else ordering it, is that the dock comes with a eSATA cable.  I bought one that I currently don't need but will keep it because who knows I might upgrade my HR20 as well.     Special thanks to Rich for all of your input.

Huh, forgot about that.  On that subject, be careful with the eSATA cable.  Plug it in and just leave it alone.  I'm sure they're better than they were years ago, but I'd still leave it alone as much as possible.  I don't recall ever having a bad one, had some suspicions, but I don't recall ever throwing one out.  Needless to say, I've got quite a few of them.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3202 OFFLINE   dc_soccerdude

dc_soccerdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Been awhile since visiting this thread and in fact I think it was back in 2009 when the recommendation was an MX-1 and Barracuda 1.5TB drive for my HR20-700.  Still working today with no issues and where we record the bulk of our shows since its not a daily watcher.  I am now considering a Genie and had a few questions for external drives. 

1) Amazon has the TT Blacx which I see is recommended here but also has an Anker Docking station that has almost twice as many reviews and is rated slightly better.  Just wondering if anyone had tried this as an option?

2) Also the drive I purchased back in 2009 was a 7200 RPM but I notice that most of the recommended drives are 5400 or are what WD calls Intellipower which I assume is there attempt to provide 7200 like performance at lower power/heat.  Has anyone seen any issues using an Intellipower drive or for that matter even a 5400 RPM?

3) WD introduced the Purple supposedly designed for "Video Surveillance" that lists features such as specifically setup for 24/7 multi-stream use, reduced power/heat, etc. which sounds a lot like a DVR with multiple tuners.  Marketing hype or does anyone think the $50-60 increase is worth the investment?

Thanks!!!

#3203 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,722 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

2) most likely 5900 RPM; I don't recall any typical issue with 5400 or intelli- [5900] drives

3) as you did read it's targeting other market, so only you must decide will you spend the premium or not for your DVR; my take is if I've no money shortage, I would get the "purple" kind.

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#3204 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 633 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

I've used the Antec MX-1 on two HR21-700 for about 7 years.  A little over a year ago I got a Genie HR44-500 and used an MX-1 with a 2TB WD green disk.  When one of my HR21-700s failed, it was replaced with an HR24-500 and I moved the MX-1 and a 2TB disk onto it.  I like the MX-1.  The one on my Genie was purchased from EBay and has worked flawlessly since it was installed.  You can still get them on EBay and I think they are one of the best disk enclosures ever made.  I have tried both 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM WD drives and can tell no difference in performance.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR24-500   500G WD 0x09dd
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x09dd
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0b15
DirecTV since 1997

#3205 OFFLINE   dc_soccerdude

dc_soccerdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Just an update... Got the Genie HR44 today and ended up purchasing the following 4TB drive and docking station from Amazon.

2TT2443 - Western Digital WD AV-GP WD40EURX 4 TB 3.5quot; Internal Hard Drive

Anker® USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [4TB Support]

The drive was slightly more than the normal RED or BLUE drives but made for high demand AV applications.  WD claims it has circuitry/software better suited to multiple stream read/write.  Probably a marketing ploy I fell for :-)

The Anker docking station was also slightly more than the TT BlacX but had better reviews and have to say I am impressed with the initial build quality.  Feels pretty solid but have to say I like the looks of my old Antec MX1 best.

Both worked first time connecting to Genie so hopefully it will stay this way once we get around to putting it to the test!

#3206 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,161 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

1) Amazon has the TT Blacx which I see is recommended here but also has an Anker Docking station that has almost twice as many reviews and is rated slightly better.  Just wondering if anyone had tried this as an option?

Hmm.  Still cheap and will probably remain as the main point of failure, but for $35 what have you got to lose?  They may even have a decent return policy, something that has always bothered me about Thermaltake (they make you pay the return shipping).

I just put a WD Blue EXEX in a 24-100 that was having problems that I figured was a noisy, failing HDD.  The EXEX runs at 7200 RPMs and is very quiet...so far.  I'd give that model consideration.  No more Green Caviars, they've merged into the Blue line.

Rich

#3207 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 24,161 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

I've used the Antec MX-1 on two HR21-700 for about 7 years.  A little over a year ago I got a Genie HR44-500 and used an MX-1 with a 2TB WD green disk.  When one of my HR21-700s failed, it was replaced with an HR24-500 and I moved the MX-1 and a 2TB disk onto it.  I like the MX-1.  The one on my Genie was purchased from EBay and has worked flawlessly since it was installed.  You can still get them on EBay and I think they are one of the best disk enclosures ever made.  I have tried both 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM WD drives and can tell no difference in performance.

Some of my best memories of the MX-1s were destroying them with a sledgehammer.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...