Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3054 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:25 PM

Great. Thanks. Will let guide rebuild and give it a whack later.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   cptpez

cptpez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

I reccomend using the antec mx-1 with the WD gree 2 TB.

as for opening the receiver to replace the internal drive and the issues with the TOS, one thing to consider is how old the receiver is. I have owned boxes adn I have leased them. I have replaced at least one leased box and when I asked directv how to ship it back they told me to just keep it due to its age.

Has anyone actually had to return a "leased" box. If so, how old was it.

#243 OFFLINE   ColdShot

ColdShot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

So I have been to hell and back with adding external HDD's for my HR21's. I bought a Seagate Showcase 1TB unit many months back for my HR21 upstairs. Hooked up the Showcase and it has worked flawlessly since day 1.

So I went ahead a few weeks ago and got another one for the downstairs HR21. Setup went fine and I expected a similiar experience as upstairs. Nope. The unit has not gone more than 4 days without a auto-reboot and total wipe, stuttering live/recorded TV and non-responsive remote issues.

I upgraded the eSATA cable, did manual resets and reboots, ran diags...no joy.

Reading here I noticed a lot of angst towards the HR21-100 units, so I checked both of my rigs to see what I had. Sure enough, good unit is a -700, bad is a -100.

Upset about the trouble I always have to go through with these boxes, I called retention to see if I could get a replacement unit, but specify that it be a -700 or an HR22 or HR23 under my protection plan. Again, no joy. They stated they cannot specify a unit to the people who box and ship them.

They did offer me another option, which I took. Go get a new HR23 on my own for about $200, and they will credit me the $200 on my bill. Done. Ordered a unit from Weaknees that will arrive tomorrow.

The Seagate Showcase is a nice, quiet unit in an attractive package with HR2X matching blue LED lights. The internal 1GB drive is on DTV's recommended list and the whole deal is not that bad at $199 direct from Seagate. It comes with a long eSATA cable as well. Just don't try to mate it up with one of those craptastic HR21-100 units.
"Like a Cold Shot, baby" - Stevie Ray Vaughan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
60" Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD | 32" Sony KDL-V32XBR1
D* HR23-700 | HR21-700 | HR10-250
Sony ES Series Components & Separates
Pioneer Elite LD & DVD | Xbox 360 MW2 Elite w/HD-DVD
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray & SACD Player
Klipsch Reference Loudspeakers

#244 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,105 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yes, an R15 that I'd had for over two years, and that was a refurb when I got it. The return box arrived about two weeks after the box I replaced it with was activated.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#245 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Rich-

Got your PM but need 5 posts in order to reply......!!

On the Seagate Barracuda model....I found 2 on Amazon that are both $119 shipped/no tax and look like the same drive....?

ST31500341AS

ST31500541AS

Thanks-Wes

#246 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

I reccomend using the antec mx-1 with the WD gree 2 TB.

as for opening the receiver to replace the internal drive and the issues with the TOS, one thing to consider is how old the receiver is. I have owned boxes adn I have leased them. I have replaced at least one leased box and when I asked directv how to ship it back they told me to just keep it due to its age.

That has been my experience too since my first DirecTV box in 1994. In subsequent years and upgrade boxes....they always let me keep the old box and never wanted it back.....

#247 OFFLINE   jwp767

jwp767

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

So, I just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB external drive, and wanted to check in to make sure the signs are good that it "took". Receiver is plugged back in, I'm getting all channels, etc. Button response seems a little slower, but that could be just my imagination, or normal variance. I'm apparently spoiled, since this is my first foray into DirecTV receivers, and I got the 0368 NR from the beginning, and button response seemed certainly acceptable, if not lightning fast, before hooking up the external drive.

Anyway, I no longer have anything in my playlist, or any series in my series manager. So...do I just start rebuilding my series, and see whether the thing records when it is supposed to?

Bruce-

Did you use the Antec MX-1 box for the Seagate drive? Which Barracuda 1.5TB model # Seagate did you use?

Wes

#248 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:55 AM

Well, I'm embarrassed to say I just bought one of these, and the blurb did not disclose the model number of the Seagate 1.5 TB drive, nor did it name the "external case".

But it seems to be working flawlessly now. On a HR 21-100, no less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

#249 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Well, I'm embarrassed to say I just bought one of these, and the blurb did not disclose the model number of the Seagate 1.5 TB drive, nor did it name the "external case".

But it seems to be working flawlessly now. On a HR 21-100, no less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Well, you could have save about $90 by doing it yourself. To all you guys who are considering buying those eSATAs on eBay, they are way overpriced. But if you're not handy and want it right away...

Rich

#250 OFFLINE   Bruce M.

Bruce M.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

Add "lazy" and you've got me pegged ;)

#251 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Add "lazy" and you've got me pegged ;)

A condition I suffer from too, or I'd be building them and selling them on eBay. Too much like work. :lol:

Rich

#252 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

OK Ive been following along and am looking to go the do it yourself route. But just to verify that I'm not missing anything, please let me know if I have.

Get the Antec MX 1 for around $50 which reads that it comes with its own power supply and esata cable. Get the WD Green Caviar 1.5 TB for around $110 and I'm goopd to go???

Is there only one choice for each of these I've described? I mean not some details in the description that would make a two different products for Green Caviar 1.5 TB for example?

Thanks

#253 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

OK Ive been following along and am looking to go the do it yourself route. But just to verify that I'm not missing anything, please let me know if I have.

Get the Antec MX 1 for around $50 which reads that it comes with its own power supply and esata cable. Get the WD Green Caviar 1.5 TB for around $110 and I'm goopd to go???

That's all you need. Get those and your goopd to go. :lol:

Rich

#254 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure it doesnt need to be said, but I will anyway...... :lol:

make sure you order a SATA drive....its the only type of drive that will go in an ANTEC MX-1

#255 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

I goopd all over on me.

Thanks for the confibations though.

#256 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Sorry to be a bother BUT - when I go to Amazon and search "western digital caviar green 1.5tb" they show three different units at very different prices. Each is SATA also. Could you advise me on this selection?

Thanks

#257 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136351

#258 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

many thanks.

#259 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,892 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

I goopd all over on me.

Thanks for the confibations though.

Hey, you made me laugh. For that I thank you. In fact, I laughed so hard I almost goopd in my pants. :lol:

You do realize you'll never live this one down?

Rich

#260 OFFLINE   bustert

bustert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Who's gonna know besides you and me?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...