Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3279 replies to this topic

#3226 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Decided to scrap the Sabrent drive, easy to return on Amazon in favor of placing my 8TB Purple in a new "ORICO USB3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking station for 2.5'' or 3.5'' HDD, SSD [Support 8TB]" also purchased from Amazon. So far so good - just first day. Is it using all 8 TB? who knows - only time may tell. Was easy setup.

You could hook it up to a  Linux box and verify partition sizes using 'sudo fdisk -l'.  Do not hook it up to a Windows box.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3227 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Decided to scrap the Sabrent drive, easy to return on Amazon in favor of placing my 8TB Purple in a new "ORICO USB3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking station for 2.5'' or 3.5'' HDD, SSD [Support 8TB]" also purchased from Amazon. So far so good - just first day. Is it using all 8 TB? who knows - only time may tell. Was easy setup.

You could check sizes of 8TB HDD partitions by connecting the enclosure to PC, Windows will not serve it, but you could see partitions and sizes - if Windows will ask to init the drive, say No or Cancel the request.

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#3228 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

You could check sizes of 8TB HDD partitions by connecting the enclosure to PC, Windows will not serve it, but you could see partitions and sizes - if Windows will ask to init the drive, say No or Cancel the request.

No, don't use Windows.  It will trash the drive for sure.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3229 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

Don't worry - windows will not "trash" the HDD, if you'll not allow it do that. If you have Linux handy, then it would be preferable way.

If not - use Window|Manage|Disk Management and post its snapshot here.

#3230 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Don't worry - windows will not "trash" the HDD, if you'll not allow it do that. If you have Linux handy, then it would be preferable way.

If not - use Window|Manage|Disk Management and post its snapshot here.

Windows will in fact trash the drive.  Give it a shot, you'll see yourself.  Oh wait, that's right, you don't ever try you own advice...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3231 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:31 PM

Windows is not the culprit, it's a person who use it. My experience (as old certified MSCE) does cover versions from 3.1 to 8.

Edited by P Smith, 25 April 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#3232 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Windows is not the culprit, it's a person who use it. My experience (as old certified MSCE) does cover versions from 3.1 to 8.

All a certification does is prove you can pass a test.

The moment you hook up a Linux drive to a Windows box the disk label is trashed, period.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3233 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

I see here mythological Linux panicked blindly scared behavior :) ... sure I passed all tests, but adding to that my 20+ years experience in IT field with mostly WinPC environment ... no need to bring down your opponents if own knowledge is so poor, you'll not gather it the weird way.

All a certification does is prove you can pass a test.

The moment you hook up a Linux drive to a Windows box the disk label is trashed, period.

he he he ...

Edited by P Smith, 26 April 2016 - 08:36 AM.

#3234 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

Credentials are beside the point. Every 'credentialed' scientist says 'let's find out', and does an experiment, regardless of what their training and experience might tell them.

Hearsay doesn't cut it.  What we need is for a credible report on an actual attempt. I'll wait right here.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3235 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

Credentials are beside the point. Every 'credentialed' scientist says 'let's find out', and does an experiment, regardless of what their training and experience might tell them.

Hearsay doesn't cut it.  What we need is for a credible report on an actual attempt. I'll wait right here.

My statement is a credible report coming from someone who has experimented with several drives, numerous enclosures, all DirecTV DVRs and every major OS.  

Your wait is over.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3236 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:04 PM

I will give TP (test procedure):

- DUT: any SATA HDD size > 100 GB from your box of spare parts

- OS and PC: any with SATA port and OS XP and up

- preparation stage: create FAT or NTFS partition (if not there), check by Device Manager (make screenshot)

- - connect the HDD to DVR, it should initialize it, do record one or a couple short events, play them back

- verification stage: connect the HDD to PC - do not allow Windows initialize the drive again! - and verify partitioning under Device Manager (make screenshot)

- - you could make secondary test here: just install Ext2fs software and after mounting DVR HDD, you could navigate throughout its XFS file and folders by Win browser

- final test (of harmless the Windows OS), reconnect the HDD to DVR and play recorded events

- post your report here  (to educate some inexperienced people)

Same TP could be execute for different versions of OS: Vista, 7, 8, 10 ...

Edited by P Smith, 29 April 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#3237 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

My statement is a credible report coming from someone who has experimented with several drives, numerous enclosures, all DirecTV DVRs and every major OS.  

Your wait is over.

OK. Now I am completely convinced, simply because you said so. Whew! Load off my mind.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3238 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

OK. Now I am completely convinced, simply because you said so. Whew! Load off my mind.

Glad I could help.

If you'd take the time to read through this thread you'd see most everything I've tested and my results.  And if you're super concerned with my tests and results you can always use the Search feature found in the upper right corner.

Edited by RunnerFL, 01 May 2016 - 11:41 AM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3239 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

it's not real experience, but superstitions of Linux-oid adept :D

#3240 OFFLINE   hoss713

hoss713

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

Apologies if this is already answered...I tried and couldn't find an answer.

Will changing just the enclosure cause the HR44 to think it's a new drive and reformat it, thus losing all my recordings?  I want to replace my Vantex NexStar with a Thermaltake BlacX to ease making backup copies of my drive.

Lorne

Hi-Def Setup:

HR44-500

4TB External SATA : WD40EZRX + Vantec NexStar CX NST-300SU

Other Receivers:

HR20-700

2TB External SATA + Thermaltake Max 5 ST0021U

#3241 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,192 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

Should not, as the "marriage"( involved the enclosure's controller, HDD itself) does not exist , it's just video encrypted by a key from smart card.

You could use any HDD in any DVR, but only original DVR will play for you the records (OTA recordings are not restricted).

#3242 OFFLINE   STxFarmer

STxFarmer

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

Just added this to my HR-44. Worked great as soon as I powered on the unit, formatted it and was up and running in a few minutes.

StarTech.com USB 3.0 eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure w/ UASP - Trayless 3.5 inches SATA III HDD Enclosure w/ USB 3.0 or eSATA (love the trayless design, just pop the drive in and close the door)

WD Purple 4TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive

Noticed already that the video is playing smooth again, no longer pausing at random times while watching tv

• cummingsje likes this

#3243 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

I don't know if this post belongs in the Genie thread or here, but I've been experiencing a lot of pixelation and freezing up on my HR44 Genie, which does not presently have an external HD connected to it. Rather than replacing this Genie, would getting an external drive and having the Genie rely on that eliminate all the pixelation and picture blocking issues, which I'm assuming are hard drive related, or could the issue be something else entirely? 

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

#3244 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

Before replacing the genie - I would suggest you move it to another location -You may have a connnection or connector at the current location.Stray brads or loose fittings can cause that as well -just a thought

"Let's Have Some Fun!"
SL-5, SWM-16, (2) HR22-100, (1) H21-200, (1) H20-100, (1) HR44-200, (1) CCK

#3245 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

This problem existed at my apartment from which I recently moved, and it has continued at the house with a new dish installed, new cables, etc., so I doubt it is a connection issue.

• WestDC likes this

#3246 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

This problem existed at my apartment from which I recently moved, and it has continued at the house with a new dish installed, new cables, etc., so I doubt it is a connection issue.

I was just guessing :)

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3247 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

I know, and I appreciate your suggestion.

#3248 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,667 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

BTW, this is the second HR44 I've gone through on this account in the last 12 months. The previous one had the same problem, which got so bad I couldn't record or watch anything anymore. Now this one is giving me the same problem.

#3249 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

That's really odd it good be (again) just guessing a power blovk issue - is the genie on a UPS?  the genie power block maybe the issue if you have had brown outs or spikes I assume you brought that one from your old place - the power a/c may not be the current issue where you are now but a hold over problem you brought with you.

Only Fix possible fix is to replace the power cord from the genie (solid  signal)  if you don't waant to lose your recording or just replace the genie and put it on a ups - all my stuff is on a ups Reason: I live in rual area and we have a lot of issue's I don't use them when power is out for a long period but 3 - 5 min's is the norm here for a loss or dim out.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3250 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 699 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Also, see this thread

http://www.dbstalk.c...-losing-signal/

I wonder if the power block might've been my prob, but all (including SWiM) has always been on UPS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...