Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
2856 replies to this topic

#2601 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,314 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

why ppl decide to make such statements publicly ?

oh boy !

"the red led not being reliable"

No need to re-post nonsense; it's enough of the demonstration inability to properly describe the feature of the dock.

It is working as DESIGNED !

Frequent blinking without HDD means internal controller POLLING the connector (SATA).

Blinks each time when SATA interface is active, ie read/write/etc cmd getting through is other functionality of the red LED.

[Why it's outside of comprehensions of other ppl, it has different different place to discuss :D]

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2602 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

oh boy !

No need to re-post nonsense; it's enough of the demonstration inability to properly describe the feature of the dock.

Frequent blinking without HDD means internal controller POLLING the connector (SATA).

Blinks each time when SATA interface is active, ie read/write/etc cmd getting through is other functionality of the red LED.

[Why it's outside of comprehensions of other ppl, it has different different place to discuss :D]

You have no idea what you're talking about so please just stop.   it is NOT working as designed and the red led is NOT reliable enough to make that your determining factor as to whether or not a DVR is using the internal drive or the external drive.  A device should not lead you to believe it is reading/writing when it is not.  It does this whether or not a drive is in.  It does it with a drive in and no eSATA or usb hooked up.  Now move on...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2603 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,314 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

forget it and continue use your rasberry pi, perhaps it will tech you how to do programming something

the dock and it LEDs working as designed and your conclusion is out of base

enough to demonstrate your missing knowledge

Stop confuse ppl with your incorrect conclusions

#2604 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

You're apparently talking to yourself again.  

Add me to your ignore list if you think what I say is unfounded.  I provided proof, proof isn't good enough for you.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2605 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

OK, OK ... those ppl who has moderate soldering skills

That lets out most Electrical Engineers that I've worked with.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#2606 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

OK, OK ... those ppl who has moderate soldering skills

excluding those who has sledgehammer nearby and short temper :D

I don't mind soldering big items, I don't like soldering on PC boards.   I'll take a blowtorch over a soldering gun every time.

Rich

#2607 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Since I've been messing with Raspberry Pi's now for a bit I've gotten pretty good at working with small switches again.  lol

As for the dock all I have to do is plug in power and the red light just goes nuts.  It still works fine but the red light doesn't only mean it's reading/writing.  It's been that way since I got it and I haven't had any problem with it other than the red led not being reliable.

Huh.  An anomaly, perhaps?  I know they've changed how the docks work since I started using them.  The newer models do things the older models didn't, such as having both lights blink as the HDD spins up and then go to solid blue when the HDD is finished spinning up.  I find that quite handy.  I don't understand why the new models still blink when the HDD is not recognized.  That should be fixed.  

Rich

#2608 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

oh boy !

One more time:  On several occasions, I've had the lights blinking and the HDD has NOT been recognized by the HR.  The original docks I bought did not do this, they only blinked when the HDD was recognized.  

Rich

#2609 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

forget it and continue use your rasberry pi, perhaps it will tech you how to do programming something

the dock and it LEDs working as designed and your conclusion is out of base

enough to demonstrate your missing knowledge

The way to stop confusing people is to make sure that they know the docks blinking lights can no longer be trusted to tell you the HR has recognized the external HDD.  I don't know if they were designed (or redesigned, the old docks worked as you think they should, but the new ones don't) to work the way they do now, but I wish they'd redesign them so they work like the first models.

Rich

#2610 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

That lets out most Electrical Engineers that I've worked with.

Been my experience too.  But, the place I worked had strict rules about salaried folk using tools, so I can't really say I ever saw one try to solder anything.

Rich

#2611 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I just had one go bad and got a new one in return.  Very easy people to deal with.  First time I tried to return one, usually just threw them out when they went bad.  I think I had to pay the shipping to them, tho.  Still cheaper than buying a new one.

Rich

i'm having a heck of a time getting them to do anything. yesterday i called only to be told they were all at lunch. then called back and talked to someone who i could barely understand, he asked for my email and said he would sent me instructions, he never did. so then i emailed them throught the website, they didn't reply. to day i called again, got voicemail and left my email and issue again, still no reply.

#2612 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

i'm having a heck of a time getting them to do anything. yesterday i called only to be told they were all at lunch. then called back and talked to someone who i could barely understand, he asked for my email and said he would sent me instructions, he never did. so then i emailed them throught the website, they didn't reply. to day i called again, got voicemail and left my email and issue again, still no reply.

Now that you mention it, I did receive instructions on how to mail it back.  First time I've ever paid shipping costs on the return of a defective device under warranty.  Hardly seemed worth it.  Good luck.

Rich

#2613 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Now that you mention it, I did receive instructions on how to mail it back.  First time I've ever paid shipping costs on the return of a defective device under warranty.  Hardly seemed worth it.  Good luck.

Rich

any suggestion on an inexpensive alternative to the blackX?

#2614 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

If you don't mind potential fan noise, xtc recommended this one in another thread:

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

I've used the fanless version in the past and had zero issues with it.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#2615 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

The BlacX is an inexpensive alternative already if you want something that is reliable.  They can be had for about $35 or less when you find them on sale.

#2616 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK Not Recognized By My HR24/100

I bought a Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK from Amazon to replace my increasingly noisy Antec MX-1 that's been a workhorse for my HR24/100 for a bunch of years.  No matter how many long spin-ups I allowed the Rosewill before powering up the DVR, how many different eSATA cables I tried the HR24 never found the enclosure.  There was a very brief disk access light blip at the "Almost There..." screen, but no joy at all in the end.  I finally gave up and put the HD back in the Antec and had, as usual, immediate success.  Too bad, the Rosewill was cheaper, seemed well built and was quieter to my ears than what many others have reported on this thread - seemed very quiet to me.  I'll have to try one of the other enclosures suggested on this thread since the MX-1 is no longer made by Antec and very pricy from the sources I've found on the web.

Edit: Ordered the Thermaltake Max 5.

Edited by Hotelone, 28 July 2013 - 03:07 PM.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994

HR44-700 -> 60" Panasonic Plasma
HR24-100 -> 50" Panasonic Plasma
C31 -> 22" Junk Magnavox LCD

#2617 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Nope, I really like the TT docks.  I am used to using them and understand them.  There are other alternatives, of course, but I have no interest in them.  When I find something that works well and is easily understood, I kinda stick with it unless something comes along to blow its doors off.  I've been very upfront with the problems I've had with the TT docks and those issues are easily dealt with.  And they are cheap.  

Rich

#2618 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

If you don't mind potential fan noise, xtc recommended this one in another thread:

http://www.amazon.co...g=5336432741-20

I've used the fanless version in the past and had zero issues with it.

There have been several post about problems with the Rosewill line.  Enough to make me wary of the brand.

Rich

#2619 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

The BlacX is an inexpensive alternative already if you want something that is reliable.  They can be had for about $35 or less when you find them on sale.

Every time I buy one, it's closer to the $40 mark.  I guess I just miss the sales.  My luck...

Rich 

#2620 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I bought a Rosewill RX-358 V2 BLK from Amazon to replace my increasingly noisy Antec MX-1 that's been a workhorse for my HR24/100 for a bunch of years.  No matter how many long spin-ups I allowed the Rosewill before powering up the DVR, how many different eSATA cables I tried the HR24 never found the enclosure.  There was a very brief disk access light blip at the "Almost There..." screen, but no joy at all in the end.  I finally gave up and put the HD back in the Antec and had, as usual, immediate success.  Too bad, the Rosewill was cheaper, seemed well built and was quieter to my ears than what many others have reported on this thread - seemed very quiet to me.  I'll have to try one of the other enclosures suggested on this thread since the MX-1 is no longer made by Antec and very pricy from the sources I've found on the web.

Please let us know how you make out with that enclosure.  Your experience with the Rosewill enclosure mirrors the experiences of other members who have tried them.  

Rich 

spam firewall