Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list

• Please log in to reply
3276 replies to this topic

#3251 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• Registered
  • 8,666 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:59 AM

That's really odd it good be (again) just guessing a power blovk issue - is the genie on a UPS?  the genie power block maybe the issue if you have had brown outs or spikes I assume you brought that one from your old place - the power a/c may not be the current issue where you are now but a hold over problem you brought with you.

Only Fix possible fix is to replace the power cord from the genie (solid  signal)  if you don't waant to lose your recording or just replace the genie and put it on a ups - all my stuff is on a ups Reason: I live in rual area and we have a lot of issue's I don't use them when power is out for a long period but 3 - 5 min's is the norm here for a loss or dim out.

It's connected to a fairly powerful UPS.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#3252 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 9,291 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

Decided to scrap the Sabrent drive, easy to return on Amazon in favor of placing my 8TB Purple in a new "ORICO USB3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking station for 2.5'' or 3.5'' HDD, SSD [Support 8TB]" also purchased from Amazon. So far so good - just first day. Is it using all 8 TB? who knows - only time may tell. Was easy setup.

Any problems with the ORICO dock? I'm planning to connect it to a HR24-200.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-700, Bsm: HR24-100, Den HR24-200, MB: HR24-500, Kit: H25-500
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3253 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Bought a 8TB Purple drive for my Genie, now can't find an enclosure. Bought the Sabrent USB 2.0/ESATA TO 3.5 Inch IDE or SATA/SATA II Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case with Cooling Fan (EC-UEIS7), but after buying the spec says supports just up to 2TB. What is best enclosure for large drive - no RAID needed.

2TB limit applies to MBR, albeit both Windows (IIRC Windows 7 --> ) & Linux/BSD OSes have workarounds built in.  If utilizing a GPT partition layout, there is no limit to disk or partition size.

Have not tried yet
based on your suggestion will give it a shot and report back
still would like to hear what others have used for 8TB drives

No issues whatsoever.  As usual, ones the drive reaches around 66% filled, one will notice occasional lags in commands and smoothness of scrolling guides and DVR playlist.

Since the lag will always occur regardless of the HDD size being utilized, I have a hunch this is due to the eSATA interface and if installed internally, "should" hopefully disappear.  I have an old Genie laying around with a 6TB HDD still paired to it, so I'm going to see if my hunch is correct or not, as I don't remember this ever occurring on an internal HDD being utilized for DVR unless it became 90% filled.

• Opening a genie will void the warranty, so if one is to do so, ensure it's on a unit you've already paid the $135 non-returned fee on, or do not care if you're charged the $135 fee whenever you need to return the box

Yeah, I wish there was an easy way to see what you're getting out of a hard drive, but the only way I know of is to keep filling it up and go with the accepted standards for a 1TB drive and do the math to see what an 8TB drive should be.  Off the top of my head, I don't remember what that standard is.  For whatever reason, and you can't take this to the bank, I think a full 2TB will give about 500 hours of MPEG4 content depending on what that content is.  In other words there really is no set standard it all depends on the content, but I'm sure someone will pop up with a standard of some sort that makes sense.

Rich

The amount of 720p HD content per 1% of space used depends on whether one it utilizing an internal, or external, HDD for the DVR.  This is because a 1TB internal drive only has ~750GB usable for DVR storage, however there's a lack of consistency when utilizing external HDDs for the DVR.

For example, I've used 3 different sizes of external HDDs: 4TB [desktop 5400RPM], 6TB [NAS 5400RPM], & 8TB [Surveillance 7200RPM]

• 4TB [desktop 5400RPM] @ 3.6TB usable
    • 12hrs of 720p content per 1%
  • 6TB [NAS 5400RPM] @ 5.45TB usable
    • 24hrs of 720p content per 1% 
  • 8TB [Surveillance 7200RPM] @ 7.2TB usable
    • Still haven't been able to accurately track how many hours of 720p content per 1%, however I do know it's in the 24hr range

As one can see, the amount per 1% doesn't make exponential sense, as a 6TB should only get 18hrs/1%, whereas the 8TB should get 24hrs/1%.

• The way I've calculated the amount of hours is be deleting content 1hr at a time until I see the counter gain 1%, at which point I continue deleting 1hr of content at a time until the counter gains an additional 1%

BTW, this is the second HR44 I've gone through on this account in the last 12 months. The previous one had the same problem, which got so bad I couldn't record or watch anything anymore. Now this one is giving me the same problem.

I don't know if this post belongs in the Genie thread or here, but I've been experiencing a lot of pixelation and freezing up on my HR44 Genie, which does not presently have an external HD connected to it. Rather than replacing this Genie, would getting an external drive and having the Genie rely on that eliminate all the pixelation and picture blocking issues, which I'm assuming are hard drive related, or could the issue be something else entirely?

This can be caused by an HDCP handshake mismatch, and unfortunately Tech Support has been improperly trained on how to troubleshoot/solve if it is an HDCP handshake issue.

• Handshake issues will most often present as "audio dropouts" or sometimes video display issues. Ensure the source device having the issue has the latest firmware installed and has been reset (ie. powered down, unplugged for a few minutes, then powered back ON again)
    • ​If the issue only involves the cable/sat box, HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are quite common (with any brand of Receiver/Replicator/Switch) and are usually always the fault of the cable/sat box not being designed to be connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. receiver, etc.) which is why they [generally] work without issue connected directly to the TV.
  • If it is a HDCP handshake mismatch issue, the following must be performed:
    • If utilizing:
      • Only a genie that is directly connected to the TV (i.e. HDMI passes through only two devices, the TV and the Genie)
        • With all devices powered on, remove the HDMI cable at both ends from the Genie to the TV.
      • A home theater receiver, port replicator, or HDMI switch
        • With all devices powered on, remove the two HDMI cables at both ends (Genie to the receiver/replicator/switch and receiver/replicator/switch to the TV)
          • If utilizing a replicator or switch, unplug all HDMI cables connected to it
    • Power off all devices & disconnect power cables from all devices for 15 minutes
    • Reconnect HDMI & power cables to all devices
    • Power on devices in the following order:
      • TV
        • ​​Wait 15 seconds, the proceed to 4.2
      • Receiver/Replicator/Switch
        • Wait 15 seconds (per device in 4.2), then proceed to 4.3
      • Genie
    • Although this is the generally recommended order, in some instances, you may have better luck powering on the Receiver/Replicator/Switch first, then the TV, and finally the Genie ... bottom line if it's still not working, try a different power on sequence

Any problems with the ORICO dock? I'm planning to connect it to a HR24-200.

None, although the max HDD size supported will depend on it's OS [firmware], as I believe that's an older box [I could very well be wrong on the age]

Edited by JW0914, 26 September 2016 - 01:11 PM.

"Regardless if it exists or not, what the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes." 
"70% of people conform to social/peer pressure, but not only do they conform, they will change what they know to be right to what is actually wrong due to the aforementioned."

SilverStone DS380 | AsRock C2750D4I |  Alienware 18 |  In Win Chopin SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F
Intel 2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2750 |  Intel 2.5gHz 4C i7 4710MQ, OC'd 3.5gHz  Intel 2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2758
32GB Crucial CT5008061 U-ECC 1.35v  |  32GB Corsair Vengeance 1.35v  |  16GB Kingston KVR16LSE11 ECC 1.35v
Vantec 4C USB3 PCIe UGT-PCE430-4C  |  8GB AMD SLI R9 M290x  |
SSD |  Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  Samsung 850 Evo1TB  ; mSATA: 1TB ; 500GB  |  Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
2.5" | HGST HTS721010A (3) } Z1  |
3.5" | Seagate: ST5000DM00 (2) ; ST4000DM00 (2) ; { ST4000VN000 (8) } Z1  |
FreeNAS 9.10 Stable | { PNY Turbo USB3 32GB (2) } Mirror  |  Windows 10 Pro  |  Sophos UTM 9.3

Various Wikis  |  Prebuilt OpenSSL Config  |  HowTo Multi-Hop SSH into FreeNAS  Beware of fake hardware & counterfeited cables

#3254 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,191 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

If it is a HDCP handshake mismatch issue, the following must be performed:

It been pointed a few times: HDMI/HDCP are hot-plug interface/protocol - you don't need to power down a source and a target, just reconnect HDMI cable and it will re-negotiate same way as cold reboot !

Sent from my Dell Lattitude D633  using FireFox under Windows 5.1

#3255 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

It been pointed a few times: HDMI/HDCP are hot-plug interface/protocol - you don't need to power down a source and a target, just reconnect HDMI cable and it will re-negotiate same way as cold reboot !

That's factually inaccurate... perhaps before disputing information, one should thoroughly research the information they're disputing.

While STB receivers may never have an issue while connected directly to the TV with no other pass throughs, many home theater receivers will, and often do, experience HDCP handshake issues at some point.  The more devices one has an HDMI signal passing through [replication], the higher the probability one will experience a HDCP handshake issue at least once.  

Since you insist on not thoroughly researching what's factually accurate:

• Denon's AVR4520CI not only has experienced HDCP handshake issues, I have personal experience with them occurring with the HR44 & HR54 while passing through the AVR4520CI
    • When they occur, the only recourse is to follow the steps in my prior reply to fix the issue.
    • Not only is this known at the consumer level by owners such as myself, it's also known by Denon Tech Support.
      • Additionally, where exactly do you believe the steps in my prior post came from?  Out of the ether?  Perhaps a hat? They came from the official Denon AVR4520CI thread on avsforums.com (HDCP Handshake Troubleshooting is under K. or simply do a search for "HDCP")

With that being said, it is entirely possible active HDMI cables may play into this (such as MonoPrice's RedMere technology).  Regardless, the fact is HDCP handshake issues do occur, and simply unplugging both ends of the cable and reinserting will not cause a re-negotiation to take place along the entire circuit in all situations.

• This is simply basic common sense, as, in order for your supposition to be factually accurate, the way every single device with an HDMI port handles HDMI signals would need to be the same, both on the front end, and the backend, of how those signals are processed and what they're processed through on the PCB.
  • For example, take ethernet, which is hot swappable PnP:
    • If one swaps out a router connected to a modem, the modem won't register the new MAC of the new router until the modem's memory has been flushed via having it powered off for ~5 min.
    • Or take Sophos UTM (a UTM router OS), all routers and modems connected to the router box must be fully booted prior to Sophos UTM being powered on, otherwise it will not recognize the router(s) or modem(s).  If a new router or modem is plugged into it while booted, Sophos UTM will not recognize either types of devices until it's been rebooted.

Is HDMI designed to be hot swappable PnP, yes; the caveat is in which way, and through which components, pass through devices route the HDMI signals internally and, in turn, how those devices then choose to replicate the signals, and finally how that information is written to internal memory components within the devices.

Edited by JW0914, 22 August 2016 - 10:38 AM.

"Regardless if it exists or not, what the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes." 
"70% of people conform to social/peer pressure, but not only do they conform, they will change what they know to be right to what is actually wrong due to the aforementioned."

SilverStone DS380 | AsRock C2750D4I |  Alienware 18 |  In Win Chopin SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F
Intel 2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2750 |  Intel 2.5gHz 4C i7 4710MQ, OC'd 3.5gHz  Intel 2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2758
32GB Crucial CT5008061 U-ECC 1.35v  |  32GB Corsair Vengeance 1.35v  |  16GB Kingston KVR16LSE11 ECC 1.35v
SSD |  Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  Samsung 850 Evo1TB  ; mSATA: 1TB ; 500GB  |  Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
FreeNAS 9.10 Stable | { PNY Turbo USB3 32GB (2) } Mirror  |  Windows 10 Pro  |  Sophos UTM 9.3

Various Wikis  |  Prebuilt OpenSSL Config  |  HowTo Multi-Hop SSH into FreeNAS  Beware of fake hardware & counterfeited cables

#3256 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

if you do need do more then re-plug HDMI cable, then appeal to the mfg who cannot design/implement own device up to HDMI/HDCP specs

#3257 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:45 AM

if you do need do more then re-plug HDMI cable, then appeal to the mfg who cannot design/implement own device up to HDMI/HDCP specs

While I respect your perspective, it's simply a factually inaccurate perspective and point of view.  

Furthermore, are you a PCB engineer working with audio/video PCB boards containing HDMI ports and protocols of 1.3+?  If not, your above statement is ignorant.

Edited by JW0914, 26 August 2016 - 05:45 AM.

#3258 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hi Guys :)

I updated to a HR54 yesterday from my prior HR44. I upgraded b/c I added 2 wireless clients and knowing I'd be locked in for 2 more years, I decided a HR54 "lock-in" would be advised. I got the upgrade by telling the agent I have a 4K set (which I do, but....). So long story short, once I found out I also needed a 4K slave (box) with 2 HDMI inputs (switched between types of HD programs within teh TV itself), I nixed the 4K additional box w the installer. I will now/just purchase a Samsung 4K that has the DTV capability built in, I can't deal with changing inputs every-time I want to watch a 4K one.

SO.......... during my install, the installer (and myself) moved/slid out my AV rack, in doing so we (can't blame just the installer) had my Rosewill esata w/ my WD30EURS hit the carpet. Case is fine, drive however won't work... the HR54 attempts to "fix" the drive errors found but fails after about 5 mins of trying.

Reading through this fine thread, I see the surveillance 8TB Purple drive as the "BIG" boy to get. Now, my prior 3TB was fine space wise, but I'm now thinking about the much bigger 4K program storage (future thinking!).

---Will the Purple 8TB work in my Rosewill?

---Noise from users? I know 7200 is spinning the platters pretty fast

---Or, should I can the mega storage idea until it's more stable in the industry (4K should/will promote this I'm thinking)

THANKS ahead of time for your expertise! :)

Edited by top_speed, 16 September 2016 - 07:59 AM.

Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#3259 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:34 AM

Hi Guys :)

I updated to a HR54 yesterday from my prior HR44. I upgraded b/c I added 2 wireless clients and knowing I'd be locked in for 2 more years, I decided a HR54 "lock-in" would be advised. I got the upgrade by telling the agent I have a 4K set (which I do, but....). So long story short, once I found out I also needed a 4K slave (box) with 2 HDMI inputs (switched between types of HD programs within teh TV itself), I nixed the 4K additional box w the installer. I will now/just purchase a Samsung 4K that has the DTV capability built in, I can't deal with changing inputs every-time I want to watch a 4K one.

SO.......... during my install, the installer (and myself) moved/slid out my AV rack, in doing so we (can't blame just the installer) had my Rosewill esata w/ my WD30EURS hit the carpet. Case is fine, drive however won't work... the HR54 attempts to "fix" the drive errors found but fails after about 5 mins of trying.

Reading through this fine thread, I see the surveillance 8TB Purple drive as the "BIG" boy to get. Now, my prior 3TB was fine space wise, but I'm now thinking about the much bigger 4K program storage (future thinking!).

---Will the Purple 8TB work in my Rosewill?

---Noise from users? I know 7200 is spinning the platters pretty fast

---Or, should I can the mega storage idea until it's more stable in the industry (4K should/will promote this I'm thinking)

THANKS ahead of time for your expertise! :)

I'd avoid WD drives like the plague as they're insanely loud during r/w (upwards of 20dB, especially during DVR playback), so I switched to a Seagate 8TB surveillance drive, which is impossible to hear.  HDD size limitations are determined by the chipset of the external case, and you'll need to research on google to see what the reported max supported HDD size is for that enclosure.  This is not definitive however, as majority of external cases support sizes greater than the advertised max size, as it ultimately depends upon how the firmware of the HDD interfaces with that chipset.

• There does seem to be freezing/hanging issue once an 8TB drive exceeds ~70% capacity, resulting from the firmware of the HR44.  This could be due to a variety of factors from a bug in the firmware to mechanical failure of the internal hdd, something I haven't had time to confirm yet.  I have been contemplating replacing the internal HDD of the HR44 with a 256GB SSD, which should help whether it's mechanical issues with the internal HDD or not.

As to your dropped HDD

You'll need to grab S.M.A.R.T data and perform a long S.M.A.R.T test.  To do so, I recommend utilizing smartctl via a Linux/BSD OS.  Terminal [cli] commands would be:

• First, grab the name of the device via: ls /dev | grep ad && ls /dev | grep da && ls /dev | grep sd
    • Since different distros will assign disks with numbering beginning with ad, da, or sd this searches /dev for all three (it will most likely be sd)
  • Pull S.M.A.R.T data: smartctl -a /dev/sda
    • Where sda is the disk
  • Perform S.M.A.R.T long test: smartctl -t long /dev/sda
    • This is not a fast process and will take about a day to complete on a drive 4TB and larger, so ensure you run it on a PC that can be stationary and left on for at least 24 hours.

You'll want to pay attention to the following lines:

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   067   057   045    Old_age   Always       -       33 (Min/Max 27/40)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   033   043   000    Old_age   Always       -       33 (0 18 0 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
254 Free_Fall_Sensor        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7580         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7348         -

Mechanical failure output: (will resemble)

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   083   083   000    Old_age   Always       -       17
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       47245361169
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       127
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1557
254 Free_Fall_Sensor        0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       2

ATA Error Count: 14 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
	CR = Command Register [HEX]
	FR = Features Register [HEX]
	SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
	SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
	CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
	CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
	DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
	DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
	ER = Error register [HEX]
	ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 14 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1069 hours (44 days + 13 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 10 20 88 2f 4c  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0c2f8820 = 204441632

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  60 00 10 20 88 2f 0c 00  25d+10:17:01.636  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 08 00 f0 cb 0c 00  25d+10:17:01.395  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 18 e8 ef cb 0c 00  25d+10:17:01.122  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 18 d0 ef cb 0c 00  25d+10:17:00.834  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 10 20 6f 37 0c 00  25d+10:16:56.812  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 13 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1069 hours (44 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 01 27 88 2f 4c  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0c2f8827 = 204441639

60 00 01 27 88 2f 0c 00  25d+08:44:55.711  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+08:44:45.499  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 26 88 2f 0c 00  25d+08:00:27.959  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+08:00:17.492  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 25 88 2f 0c 00  25d+07:16:07.779  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 12 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1069 hours (44 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 01 26 88 2f 4c  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0c2f8826 = 204441638

60 00 01 26 88 2f 0c 00  25d+08:00:27.959  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+08:00:17.492  READ LOG EXT
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+07:15:57.592  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 24 88 2f 0c 00  25d+06:31:32.226  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 11 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1069 hours (44 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 01 25 88 2f 4c  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0c2f8825 = 204441637

2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+07:15:57.592  READ LOG EXT
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+06:31:21.755  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 23 88 2f 0c 00  25d+05:47:12.161  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 10 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1069 hours (44 days + 13 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 01 24 88 2f 4c  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x0c2f8824 = 204441636

2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+06:31:21.755  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 23 88 2f 0c 00  25d+05:47:12.161  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  2f 00 01 10 00 00 20 00  25d+05:47:01.411  READ LOG EXT
  60 00 01 22 88 2f 0c 00  25d+05:03:24.720  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

If the disk is damaged, and it's under warranty, warranty it.  If it's not, depending on the amount of sectors damaged, you can try certain dos or *nix programs that will attempt to salvage the drive by scanning every block on the HDD and marking bad blocks as bad, thereby preventing those blocks from ever being written to again.  This is not a fast process and will likely take several days on a multi-terabyte HDD.

• If you're planning on keeping the old receiver to watch recorded content on the damaged hdd, you can try data recovery via testdisk & photorec (both installable via the applicable package managers for Linux/BSD distros).  You'll need to ensure the HDD is connected, but not mounted when testdisk or photorec is utilized, as well as ensuring you have a free HDD with enough free space available for the recovered content to be saved to.

Normal disk output:

[root@Fractals] ~# smartctl -a /dev/ada0

smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate NAS HDD
Device Model:     ST4000VN000-1H4168
Serial Number:    ********
LU WWN Device Id: * ****** *********
Firmware Version: SC46
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    5900 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 3b
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Fri Sep 16 10:03:42 2016 CDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity
                                        was never started.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                (  107) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x73) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        No Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 492) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x10bd) SCT Status supported.
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.
                                        SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   114   099   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       78384440
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   093   091   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   099   099   020    Old_age   Always       -       2036
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   075   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       40653425
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   092   092   000    Old_age   Always       -       7686
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   020    Old_age   Always       -       105
184 End-to-End_Error        0x0032   100   100   099    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
188 Command_Timeout         0x0032   100   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       6
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   067   057   045    Old_age   Always       -       33 (Min/Max 27/40)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   058   058   000    Old_age   Always       -       85611
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   033   043   000    Old_age   Always       -       33 (0 18 0 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7580         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7460         -
# 3  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7348         -
# 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7196         -
# 5  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7076         -
# 6  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      6964         -
# 7  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6836         -
# 8  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6716         -
# 9  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      6604         -
#10  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6453         -
#11  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6333         -
#12  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      6220         -
#13  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6095         -
#14  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5975         -
#15  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      5894         -
#16  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      5862         -
#17  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5734         -
#18  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5614         -
#19  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      5502         -
#20  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5374         -
#21  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5254         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Edited by JW0914, 16 September 2016 - 10:08 AM.

• top_speed likes this

#3260 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:00 PM

I have no issues with WD drives and they are quite for me. Been using several 4tb red drives for a while now.

I have to ask, what are you talking about with this two hdmi ports for your 4K tv with a c61k 4K client? I get the feeling you got bad info. That one client outputs everything on one hdmi port, 1080 and 4K and SD too... Heck even 3D, and most people recommend that over the internal RVU clients, although I think either is a good way to go with current Tv's today.

#3261 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:01 PM

I have no issues with WD drives and they are quite for me. Been using several 4tb red drives for a while now.

It only occurs on drives 6TB and larger, with one not experiencing this on drives <5TB because drives >6TB had to be engineered differently to allow for higher densities.  For example, a single 6TB Red [current version], in a fanless [passive], single bay case, created between 20 - 23dB of head noise at ~ 8ft from the case.  In comparison, my 12 bay NAS server running 3 120mm fans at roughly the same distance is almost silent.

• As stated previously, I originally thought I had a bad drive with mechanical failure, had it replaced by WD under warranty, and the new drive was just as loud.
  • Additionally, if one searches google for reviews of WD drives 6TB and larger, almost every review echos the same... the drives are insanely loud during read and/or write operations.

If one is looking to add a 6TB or larger HDD for a DVR drive, your best bet is to avoid WD and HGST (HGST's reviews had similar noise complaints).  Since one is limited to a maximum length of 6ft between the receiver and the external case, unless you have an actively cooled enclosure that can be stored in a closed cabinet, you'll be happier avoiding WD and HGST drives 6TB and larger.  

• Seagate employs two layers of sound dampening within their drives that exceed 6TB, of which WD and HGST do not [at least not on current versions, and hopefully will change on newer versions]

If one really wanted to use WD drives 6TB and larger, the only recourse to avoid the noise would be to replace the internal HDD with the 6/8/10TB drive, then store the receiver in a well ventilated closet/utility room.  You'll lose ~250GB of space for the system partition, but this would allow one to exceed the 6ft limitation of eSATA.

Edited by JW0914, 16 September 2016 - 06:27 PM.

#3262 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Awh ok. Makes sense.

#3263 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

If one is looking to add a 6TB or larger HDD for a DVR drive, your best bet is to avoid WD and HGST (HGST's reviews had similar noise complaints). 

One would expect the reviews and complaints to be the same/similar for drives all made by the same company....

I do however agree with you on staying away from WD.  I use only Seagate in anything I do.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3264 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

@RunnerFL Good point =]  

#3265 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Thanks everyone, good stuff and I can go Seagate, not dedicated to WD as my last 3TB drive was.

So looking, Seagate has 2 AV versions, the Skyhawk and Enterprise version. Will the normal Skyhawk suffice?

#3266 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone, good stuff and I can go Seagate, not dedicated to WD as my last 3TB drive was.

So looking, Seagate has 2 AV versions, the Skyhawk and Enterprise version. Will the normal Skyhawk suffice?

Go with the SkyHawk, as you'll pay substantially more for an enterprise drive, without ever utilizing the extra features you're paying for

• higher workload rated for 550TBW/yr vs 180TBW/yr for SkyHawk [surveillance] drives
  • helium filled to reduce air resistance
  • higher r/w and RPM speeds
    • most enterprise drives function in excess of 10k RPM, with ~440MB/s r/w capabilities at the higher RPMs via SAS, whereas eSATA is SATA II, or a maximum theoretical speed of 187.5MB/s r/w [realistically ~150MB/s r/w]
  • vibration resistance through sturdier casings and components

When looking to buy a HDD for any purpose, unless you have an SAS setup, and/or would utilize the datacenter features enterprise drives offer, it's best to steer clear of them.

Also, if you can recover the partition layout of your damaged HDD with testdisk, you can transfer the recovered content to a new hdd for use with the DVR it's paired with by following the DirecTV DVR HDD Transfer guide on my GitHub

• This guide was pulled from a post on this forum, with it simply being condensed into a more cohesive 1 page HowTo (URL for the post it was pulled from is listed in the top right corner of the guide)

Edited by JW0914, 19 September 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#3267 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:08 AM

I use Enterprise for everything but then again I get them at the same price as a Skyhawk...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3268 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

@RunnerFL  Do you actually use any of the enterprise HDD features?

#3269 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

@RunnerFL  Do you actually use any of the enterprise HDD features?

My DVR's don't but the servers I have at home do and of course all 7000+ servers here at work do as well.  :)

• JW0914 likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3270 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this 8TB drive?
Seagate Enterprise 3.5 HDD 8TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 256 MB Cache OEM ST8000NM0055
$339 Shipped

Edited by top_speed, 19 September 2016 - 02:44 PM.

#3271 OFFLINE   JW0914

JW0914

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWho knows

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this 8TB drive?
Seagate Enterprise 3.5 HDD 8TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 256 MB Cache OEM ST8000NM0055
$339 Shipped

Great drive.  I use the ST8000VX0002 Surveillance HDD, and if you do go with the enterprise drive, I'd be curious to see how many hours of hd content you get per 1%, as currently the numbers don't add up in comparison to the 6TB WD RED I had been using, or the 4TB HDD before that.  

• I'm seeing ~20hrs per 1%, when the 6TB gave 24hrs of HD content per 1% (like I said, not adding up)

One should be seeing ~300hrs of HD content per 1TB with an external drive, with my

• 4TB (3.68TB formatted) Seagate Barracuda seeing 12hrs per 1%
  • 6TB (5.52TB formatted) WD RED seeing 24hrs per 1%  (baffling to say the least)
    • ​This makes me wonder if the discrepancy is due the differences in firmware between NAS and Surveillance drives, of which deal with data quite differently from one another
  • Meaning an 8TB (7.36TB formatted) should be getting 24hrs per 1% if 300hrs per 1TB is accurate

One can't rely on DirecTV info on this, because their numbers are based on a 1TB HDD internal drive (5GB per 1hr 720p content), of which only ~700GB is user accessible for the DVR, due to the system partition.

• This would seem to imply 1hr of 720p content is ~3.5GBs in size if the user partition is 700GB or ~3.4GBs in size if 680GB (a 230 or 250GB system partition)
    • ​However, at 3.4GB/1hr gives ~274hrs/931GB [1TB formatted], which doesn't add up, yet ~3GB/1hr does at ~310hrs/931GB

Edited by JW0914, 19 September 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#3272 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Bought the 8TB Seagate Enterprise ST8000NM0055

Due to arrive Monday 9/26/16.

I'll update on how she pairs up w my HR54 and my Rosewill ext case.

#3273 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

BTW-
I went with the "Enterprise edition" because of the I/O (R-W) it was guaranteed to work with (plus 5 year warranty). And... I must admit, the helium filled/sealed cylinder chamber has my inquisitive side stirred up. :)

Workload Rating
Skyhawk: 180TB/year Enterprise: 550TB/year
Warranty
Skyhawk: 3 years Enterprise: 5 years

Edited by top_speed, 20 September 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#3274 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 21,191 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

you forgot to post prices for both models ....

#3275 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

you forgot to post prices for both models ....

I got my Enterprise 8TB drive for $339 incl shipping, no sales tax. The Skyhawk comparable was at least a 100 bucks less.

Here is the Mfgr comparison page on these 2 drives

I have the Enterprise drv now installed in the Rosewell case. ^BUT^ I haven't booted up to it yet, still have yesterdays Vikings/Panthers game to catch-up on; as I was at a bike rally all weekend in Wytheville Virginia... funnnn! (sober up and dry out time now!) ;)

I Bleed Purple :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...